Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_30797277

Front door, dark or light?

User
7 anni fa
Hello Experts!
I've photoshopped two ideas for our front door, dark blue and light wood. Also uploaded the current brown door.
Front garden will be landscaped and we're trying to modernise the house generally.
Need some glass in the door for light into the landing. Perhaps dark is too oppressive? while light looks too cottage?
Thanks for any suggestions! LeoX

Commenti (49)

• Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    I like both although that looks more like dark grey than blue. Here is one that we supplied to a customer.
    User ha ringraziato Daisy England
  • Marisol Garces
    7 anni fa
    I'm not an expert, but have been looking at doors recently because I'm planning to change mine. I vote for the dark one from your photos. It looks more substantial to me.
    User ha ringraziato Marisol Garces
  • minnie101
    7 anni fa

Definitely the dark one. Although I also can't see the blue undertone, it looks more aubergine to me!

User ha ringraziato minnie101
  • PRO
    Terra Firma Gardens
    7 anni fa
    White to go with Windows
    User ha ringraziato Terra Firma Gardens
  • kate_lin12
    7 anni fa

The dark one

• Midcenturylass
    7 anni fa
    Wood effect, light. The mock up of the light door doesn't really help. I'm assuming it would be varnished?
  • lkirk44
    7 anni fa
    Dark looks better especially with landscaped garden will look great
  • PRO
    Ruth Turner Interior Design Ltd
    7 anni fa

Dark for me!

• User
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thank you everyone! We shall work towards the darker option.
    I shall post before and after pictures when competed.
    LeoX
  • louise_annis
    7 anni fa
    The blue door to the side in the image looks a great colour. A much richer tone than just going white.
  • mckeon1960
    7 anni fa

I think the black is lovely with the white overhead to go with the windows, makes it clean and crisp

• mckeon1960
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

you could also paint the inside of the porch white, to make it pop

User ha ringraziato mckeon1960
  • Marie
    7 anni fa
    Dark one for sure - more defined and stylish
  • PRO
    Synseal Group
    7 anni fa
    Contemporary door in the style of the middle one but try French gray ral 7030 to make the door less oppressive. Masterdor Craftsman doors do som Farrell and ball versions
    User ha ringraziato Synseal Group
  • andituck
    7 anni fa
    I prefer the dark one but if you wanted light I think you'd need a warmer light, slightly darker and richer in colour. The light one shown is too insipid against the brickwork. The brick work is rust so think of Autumn colours in nature.
  • viv mcc
    7 anni fa

the dark door looks

• alyper
    7 anni fa

Dark one definitely.

• Jackie Rawe
    7 anni fa

Dark

• kathtreg51
    7 anni fa

dark one deffo looks really modern

• alyper
    7 anni fa

Comment : a decade ago everyone would say light ... ah, the fickleness of fashion! However, dark will probably pass the time test. Will be interesting to reflect a decade hence!

User ha ringraziato alyper
  • PRO
    Synseal Group
    7 anni fa
    Here is a very contemporary door blank I just made - what do you think?
    User ha ringraziato Synseal Group
  • PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    7 anni fa

I would go for white round door, it would go with the windows...something similar to this one. To also break the lines..

• Ocean Clarke
    7 anni fa

I love the matte black, I actually want to steal it for my own front door!

• User
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

@OceanClarke go for it! :) We're using RAL 7016 which isn't the colour above but a very Architectural grey.

• Ocean Clarke
    7 anni fa

Very tempting indeed, I might just have to!

• PRO
    Synseal Group
    7 anni fa
    Here is a 7016 gray engineered timber door
  • alyper
    7 anni fa

That is beautiful - but letterbox?!!

• PRO
    Synseal Group
    7 anni fa

We have loads of different letterboxes to chose from- beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

• Shelly Anne
    7 anni fa

I agree with most of the comments. The dark definitely looks better in the mocked up images, the light one is a nice door but it doesn't suit the colour of the bricks. I look forward to seeing the door in situ

User ha ringraziato Shelly Anne
  • Annie Par
    7 anni fa

Dark. I love anthracite grey, which would look stronger if the internal brick porch walls were painted white to match door & window frames. Feel for posties with low letterbox, could put funky anthracite wall hung letter box on white wall, keep door design unsullied.

User ha ringraziato Annie Par
  • helen m.
    7 anni fa
    1. Definetely the anthracite grey. We decided on a composite door in anthracite grey an love it. It is the same colour as our roof tiles and the surrounding brick really makes the door pop.
  • User
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

@Helen Very nice looks great!

• PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    7 anni fa

What about this blue glazed timber door?

Contemporary timber entrance door, double glazed with chrome hardware · Maggiori informazioni

User ha ringraziato Wood Window Alliance
  • User
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

@WoodWindowAlliance That's a very nice blue / door and I've considered blue. I painted our outhouse door in a similar blue, you can just about see it in the above pictures but i don't think it's quite right for our front door. Thanks for the idea! LeoX

• ianthy
    7 anni fa
    Go dark.
  • A S
    7 anni fa
    Hi Leo, would it be possible to post a before and after pic. My house also has red brick work and white windows and am looking to change the door, at the moment it is grey but am looking to go for dark grey/black. what style off door will you be going for?

thanks
    Asifa x
  • A S
    7 anni fa
    At the moment the door is white, not grey as it says in above comment.
  • A S
    7 anni fa
    I have considered the door that you posted (black with long handle and window going down the middle) but not sure if it looks too office type or suits my house. Would be interesting to see how it would look in real life against your house which is fairly similar to mine if u do go for that design.
  • Nicki
    7 anni fa
    Love the very dark door.
  • User
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

@AsifaS I'll post a before after so you can compare.

• bombel1972
    7 anni fa

dark

• PRO
    Lithouse
    7 anni fa

I think you should stay within house style. Contemporary design may be too much. Color should match with your house facades and windows. Maybe something like this?

Solid wooden door with glass in the middle. Graffiti grey color. Could be quite good match with any colours (specially with your bricks facade).

• avonway19
    7 anni fa
    Definitely the dark one!
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 anni fa

Darker would look better than a light colour. We have a new range of aluminium in 35 panel designs and 150 RAL colours as well as dual colours, but we also supply composite doors too...

User ha ringraziato Croydon Window Company Ltd
  • PRO
    Lightkulture
    7 anni fa

Have you considered outdoor wall sconces to brighten up the doorway?

• Steven Weastell
    7 anni fa
    the dark
  • PRO
    Glass Rose
    7 anni fa
    Maybe something along these lines.

Interior Designer
    ROSE VINALES
  • PRO
    Timber Master LTD
    7 anni fa

If you are going for a modern look then oak always works well. Instead of such a light wood that blends with the brick work why don't you look at a sightly darker tone but not as dark as your current door?

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".