Houzz Logo Print
paul_limbert

Help with exterior needed asap!

Paul Limbert
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

Hi, I have just been to view this house and although the inside is great for room sizes I am just not feeling it externally! The area the house is in means they sell really quickly so any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Commenti (23)

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 anni fa
    I think I would start by asking what you feel you don't like about it? (If you can put your finger on it that is)

Is it that it's not contemporary enough?
    Would you have budget for major changes like windows?

A few starting questions :)
  • Paul Limbert
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks for replying so quickly think I had in my mind something more contemporary and would say 5-10k for the front. Love the trend for grey windows and doors but not sure it would suit the house or brick colour!

• mark_sansom
    7 anni fa
    You said it yourself paul the brick colour. I would start by rendering the front of the house. Then you will have a blank canvas good luck.
  • PRO
    Brackley Landscape Services
    7 anni fa

Are all the houses in the area red brick?

There is a lot that could be done with the front garden/driveway to increase the kerb appeal, such as a feature step & planting at the door and new driveway surfacing.

Is there any other similar style house that you like the look of?

• Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    I certainly wouldn't paint the brickwork. That's creates maintenance. The look of the house is a typical one for a detached house in the area where I live. Personally can't see anything wrong with it.

If you don't like the window frames then perhaps opt for grey which is a more modern trend.
  • minnie101
    7 anni fa

I think even by changing the glass, the front door, painting the garage and adding some plants will have a big impact. I agree with Daisy I wouldn't paint the brick, it costs a lot to maintain and the brick looks nice from what I can see. Grey works well with red brick if you did want to change/paint the Windows.

• Paul Limbert
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks for all the comments everyone, strangely I have since found a picture of the property from 2 years ago.... looks like block paving could do with a good scrub now and the lawn has been replaced. What are peoples opinion of the middle apex in the roofline? Does it look cheap in the white upvc cladding? Would definitely be keen to change the window glass at least to get rid of the diamond lead effect.

• Dundrum 16
    7 anni fa
    I would suggest a professional clean for the block paving - it's tricky to power wash as you can easily destabilise the surface. That will make a huge difference. The leaded Windows should definitely go, and I would choose a rich colour for the front door and garage door. As for the ubiquitous grey - as you said yourself, it is on trend, so it will be going off trend! I think it would look really drab with the red brick. There's a whole spectrum of wonderful colours to choose from out there.
  • Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    The middle apex in the roofline is just added normally as a feature. It doesn't detract from any inside space like a dormer window does. It's just down to personal preference whether or not you decide to keep it.
  • PRO
    7 anni fa

Concrete block does lose its colour over time so worth cleaning a small area first of all. I think the lawn would add some colour back into the space which is missing at the minute.

Have you thought about a 3D design or photoshop to picture the final look? It will help you to simple change the colour of door/windows and see which you prefer.

Example designs:

• Juliet Docherty
    7 anni fa

Hi Paul. We just had this dilemma months ago. Here in Cambridge. property is insanely expensive. We sold our lovely small renovated house (160 sq m) and viewed one that was pig ugly to put it mildly. A large brick early 90's monstrosity that nobody wanted - it was 250sq m. We agreed that we wouldn't buy it unless we could change the windows and we have just done that. Removing the old conker brown and replacing them with warm pale grey new timber windows has transformed it. I would always go for the floor space first as extensions are very expensive. I think the house you viewed would benefit from a more stylish front door and garage repaint. Also, I would remove some of the block paving around the house to soften the edges and add planting. If it's in a good location and it is a good size it's probably a good investment.

• PRO
    7 anni fa

^ Exactly my thoughts, if you like the house and it ticks the main boxes there is so much that can be done with the external areas to improve the look!

• PRO
    Terra Firma Gardens
    7 anni fa
    Convert the garage maybe and change herringbone paviors
  • Joanna C
    7 anni fa
    I agree, converting the garage would improve the kerb appeal as you'd get a nice double frontage instead of a garage door staring at you. If you need to keep the garage then you could at least paint the door so it does contrast=stand out so much. Better planting to frame the front door + a new front door would be a massive improvement too. I wouldn't worry about grey windows, though - it is a bit of a fad and will soon fall out of favour just as brown Windows have. Also, I can't see that they would go with the brickwork.
  • garc123
    7 anni fa

how about extending the room above the garage and extend the roof of course according to its slope then create a bigger dormer with a bigger fix glass with dark grey steel frame.i added a simple presentation.

Paul Limbert ha ringraziato garc123
  • z3735
    7 anni fa

Is the room over the garage an extension? Although it ties in pretty well in terms of colour and detailing, it throws off the symmetry of the 1st floor because the two outer windows are equally spaced from the corners, but the middle window is off-centre.

If you were to change the windows, you might be able to make the middle window wider. Something like this, although adding a 3 panel window possibly results in the cladded area becoming too large:

Or remove it altogether:

Paul Limbert ha ringraziato z3735
  • bombel1972
    7 anni fa

i think for just a couple of thousand, i would change the garage door and front door. not necessarily the same colours. but i would choose one to be a dark colour and the other a wooden type. MAYBE, i would render that forward front area a white colour and really, some type of flowering plant. at least one, i think? whether in a pot, in ground, or a climber? maybe? good luck whatever you do.

Paul Limbert ha ringraziato bombel1972
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 anni fa

Hi Paul, depending on your budget you could just update the garage and front door, but new aluminium windows in grey will definitely modernise the house. Rendering the exterior is an additional cost if you want to but the existing brickwork will still look fine.

• Paul Limbert
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Am guessing what everyone has said about the above house would apply to this one also? This may benefit from lower half rendered?

• doristhedinnerlady
    7 anni fa
    Paul, by far Bombel1972 has come up with the best suggestion.
    Please don't go with dark grey 'trendy' windows, so many properties are changing to these, and they just don't suit every house. It reminds me when everyone changed to those ugly dark brown window frames. White never dates, render the lower half, and change the door and paint the garage to match the door. Seeing your latest image I'm guessing you have not made a decision on which house?
    Paul Limbert ha ringraziato doristhedinnerlady
  • doristhedinnerlady
    7 anni fa
    Sorry...just realised the last house image had those ugly brown Windows, oops!
  • Paul Limbert
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

No not made mind up but yes the brown windows would be first to go! Second house is in a better position.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".