Houzz Logo Print
lseltzer317537

Er...why are my blueberries flowering right now?

Leslie Tarly Z 5a
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:7 anni fa

So it's August and I recently transplanted my half high (and a few high bush!) blueberries to a proper blueberry bed. Ph is 4.3, due to lots of turface, pine bark and elemental sulfur added over the last 2 years in preparation for this. The area is mulched thickly (4") with pine needles. (It used to be really weedy until we tilled in our amendments and mulched.)

Prior to transplanting, we had a tough time with the onset of hot weather in June. We overwatered to compensate, with the predictable result of nearly drowning the plants. We pruned off some dead/dying canes. They rallied and recovered, however, and now they look fantastic. They've been in their new bed about three weeks.

PRIOR to transplanting I noticed some small buds on them. They did not look like leaf buds, but more like flower buds. I decided to wait and see what would happen, and lo and behold, they are flowering. Not just one of them - All of the half highs, but none of the high bush. It's not the variety. For one thing there aren't a lot of super late half highs, to my knowledge. Plus they are all different varieties, or so said my neighbor who gifted me with them. She doesn't recall what type they are, but I'm pretty sure we have at least one Chippewa, Polaris, north country and perhaps a St. Cloud. (The high bush ones are also newer than the half highs, however, from the nursery this spring.)

What the heck is happening?

Commenti (4)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    7 anni fa

Blueberries can flower some in off seasons. As long as it's not a large percent you'll be OK. They'll bloom more next spring.

• Georgia Zone 8a
    7 anni fa

Personally I'd probably take them off. Since they're new and just transplanted, I'd rather them put the energy to root development than to producing late-season berries.

• PRO
    Borealis Landscape & Design DBA Skipley Farm
    7 anni fa

Curious indeed. I have 2000 plants, 16 varieties and there are occasional errant summer blooms. They never set fruit though. One plant consistently blooms heavily in September, I sent a photo to Fall Creek Nursery where I bought the plants-they had no explanation. I considered digging it up and moving it in the greenhouse for winter fruit??

• Leslie Tarly Z 5a
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Recombination produces some interesting things! Somewhere there is a market for our super late blueberries.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".