Houzz Logo Print
liveauthentic

Are white kitchens with white cabinets on the way out?

Jen G
7 anni fa

I'm hoping to build a home soon and want a reasonably priced, re-saleable but very functional chef's kitchen. I happen to love the white kitchen trend, but it's been around for years now. I still see it in most Instagram lifestyle photos and it's still all over Houzz. Can any designers or trend-watchers weigh in on how many years the trend still has before a white kitchen looks dated or buyers are over it? Thank you!

Commenti (18)

• suezbell
    7 anni fa

If YOU like white cabinets, it's definitely "in". White cabinets will always be in style as will natural wood finished cabinets.

Where white cabinets get ugly is if the cabinets are designed to be a natural wood finish and someone slaps paint on them w/o regard to the style and design intent.

Jen G ha ringraziato suezbell
  • Lindsay K
    7 anni fa

I hope not! I've had white kitchen cabinets in 2 houses now, and have not grown tired of them. I like a bright kitchen.

Jen G ha ringraziato Lindsay K
  • PRO
    Leo Dowell Designs
    7 anni fa

White kitchens tend to go in and out of the latest kitchen of the moment, if that's what you are talking about. But kitchen trends of the moment should not be a dominate force in designing a luxury, exsoensive part of a house like a kitchen. For many years the industry dictated the latest color trends to the public. Gradually consumers started to rebell against force fed avacado green shag carpet that matched the refrigerator or harvest gold. I call it the geen and gold days. During games the rebellion, the next hottest color for kitchens became almond. Next, the commercial look, stainless took over. Then all of a sudden guest what? White was in again......right back where we started from. Now the truth of the matter is this. White kitchens will always be in style. But so will French kitchens, and contemporary kitchens. Why, because it is OK to have a kitchen that makes you feel good and makes the food look good. Who cares what in and out for the moment? Think long term and don't be afraid to exsoress your deepest wishes for creating the perfect kitchen.

Leo Dowell Designs

Jen G ha ringraziato Leo Dowell Designs
  • Bev
    7 anni fa

My paternal grandmother had white kitchen cabinets when I was growing up in the 60's! She died in the 90's and they were still white.

• PRO
    Yours by Design
    7 anni fa

This is a recent all white kitchen installation in St. Louis. I have done many this year. t. Follow your heart, In or out you will be living with it for 20 years. Do what you like and you will love it every day. as this homeowner does.

White is the color of the year ! Fresh, clean and a perfect backdrop. · Maggiori informazioni

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    7 anni fa

Not if you're my mom or her twin (my aunt). Though my aunt at least has a blue-ish granite countertop.

• shari13
    7 anni fa

I *wish* I had white if that counts for anything.

• Snaggy
    7 anni fa

I hate white kitchens !

• jmm1837
    7 anni fa

Whites are classic, so are wood kitchens. Some people like them, some hate them, so do what works for you, and when you sell, you'll have the white kitchen crowd interested, and the wood kitchen crowd working out how much it will cost to tear out the cabinets - or vice versa. So just go with what you want and don't worry.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

White kitchens will never be out. There are as many "flavors" of white kitchens as one can imagine, from rustic, to farmhouse, to glam, to classic! From modern to traditional to in between. The reason you see so many of them is their neutrality with all else in a home, and their ability to set off every other wood tone and surface..........especially flooring! Add that they free you for virtually any paint color you desire, and are always bright and cheery? There you have it. And always will.

Jen G ha ringraziato JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Sara Slade Interiors
    7 anni fa

A white Kitchen will always look great, although I would say the high gloss look is most definitely on the way out as we have seen so much of it over the past 10 years. I would opt for a matt lacquer to give it a more contemporary feel!

Jen G ha ringraziato Sara Slade Interiors
  • PRO
    Prime Renovations, Inc.
    7 anni fa

We are mixing it up a little

Jen G ha ringraziato Prime Renovations, Inc.
  • Tems
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

White kitchens are timeless. Neutral, safe, sometimes smart. But the best looking kitchens are not white.

Jen G ha ringraziato Tems
  • Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    7 anni fa

High gloss has more of an ability to hide the signs that you beat up the kitchen (spills, the knife always lands point down, have you vacuumed straight into your baseboards lately, some seriously heavy glass object dropped and sprayed shrapnel everywhere?) but it's all about personal preference.

I will say that the ability for buyers to picture themselves in the home because it's safely neutral and uncluttered definitely sold my parents home in California to its new owners (who paid a lot more than asking and this before the terminology 'housing bubble' was really used and existing homes saw bidding wars in the solidly middle class areas with ok but not amazing schools). So that's always something to consider if you intend to sell soon, but there's always the option of holding out for the one buyer with money, financing, and the desire to buy your house - so they can gut it and turn it into the home they want it to be if they don't raze the whole lot and start fresh. :P

Jen G ha ringraziato Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
  • acm
    7 anni fa

They're still asking for white cabinets in the Philadelphia area. I doubt it will be an issue that's "dated" in another few years, even if it's not as hot as right now.

• pleballerina
    7 anni fa

I agree with what Jan M. said-there are so many "flavors" of a white kitchen. I think that if your kitchen reflects the style of your home (contemporary, traditional, etc.), you'll be perfectly fine for resale.

Jen G ha ringraziato pleballerina
  • pinheiro_marcos
    6 anni fa

White kitchens remind me of a hospital. I find them extremely cold and boring. Unless you only use your kitchen to boil water for tea, you are going to spend a lot of time cleaning it. I call them "the sack of flour exploded" look.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".