Houzz Logo Print
angela_cowan

Grey grout, white tiles - help!!!

Angela Cowan
7 anni fa
My tiler for some unknown reason used grey grout between our white tiles!! He just used the same grout as the floor. I'm really annoyed as it looks terrible and I wanted white grout between the white tiles. It's been 24 hours since the grouting was done. What are my options? Rip out the grout and redo it? Use grout paint to fix it? Help!

Commenti (30)

• Angela Cowan
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    I'll give it a try! Thanks.
  • dohraime
    7 anni fa

If it was specified that the grout was to be white, you should have the tiler come back and fix it. I personally would test how hard the grout is and attempt to scrape some out if still possible.

• KK1000
    7 anni fa
    Paint is never as good as the real thing, I would make him redo it , I hope you have not paid him yet. If you keep it it will bug you for the rest of your life in that house and paint comes of.
  • KK1000
    7 anni fa
    PS I don't mind the colour it will show les discolouration in the long run.
  • Angela Cowan
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    He was employed by our builder and I'm not sure if he was told the colours I wanted. I had also specifically bought grout for the floor but he said he didn't realize (even though the bag of grout was with the tiles). I wasn't home when he grouted. I can live with the floor, but not the walls!
  • bigreader
    7 anni fa
    Whilst I love an easy makeover option like tile paint I think at your stage of renovation I'd get the grout scrapped out. There is a tile at Bunnings for just that.

Like above I like the grey. I find white hard to keep pristine.
  • bigreader
    7 anni fa
    That should be tool. Not tile.
  • Judy Bumbles
    7 anni fa
    I really like the grey grout as it gives a contract and besides over time the grout will become grey anyway.
  • Sina Nova
    7 anni fa

I like the grey too. Painting it will destroy your soul, it will be continual. If you want white get them to come fix it. Agree with others white does not stay pristine looking for long.

• Vy
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

I have grey grout between my white tiles..they all use it..it's very popular and looks great..it's a silvery grey.. the lightest grey..

I'd leave it..don't paint over it..white doesn't stay white anyway..

• Bernadette Staal
    7 anni fa

I think it is quite a modern look and quite smart. It also means that people will not notice if the grout starts to discolour slightly as any discolouration on white looks awful. I think you should relax and enjoy. It looks lovely.

• scottevie
    7 anni fa

by the time the shower screen goes in it probably won't be noticeable. That said, if you feel you haven't received what you paid for ask them to remedy it (don't try to remove it yourself -not fun!)

• zealart
    7 anni fa

Have him scrape it and redo. Not a fan of grey grout either. It drives me crazy how these people who come to work in homes just assume things ( speaking from personal experience, which happened a couple of times. Now I watch them like a hawk).

• PRO
    JOHN DAVIES PAINTING
    7 anni fa

this is a perfect example of colour schemes tile grout etc not written between client and contractor outlining just this simple issue.You can't expect the tradie to be a mind reader, as the grout was with the tiles.Personally i would remove the grout and regrout.

• zealart
    7 anni fa

@John Davies Painting

She said she bought specific grout that was with the tiles and the guy still didn't know and used the grey grout ( which I assume was his own). I don't expect trade men to be mind readers, but I do expect them to ask instead of just assuming. If a trade man does this for a living, he should know that unless things were specified, it makes more sense to ask the client if that is what they want, instead of just going ahead and doing it their way.

• PRO
    JOHN DAVIES PAINTING
    7 anni fa

as i stated in the first part of my comment of the lack of communication and having colour requirements etc written so both client and contractor are crystal clear of the requirements is this case grout colour.With the contractors i work with we all understand the requirements for the projects.

• LesleyH
    7 anni fa
    Grey grout is much better and used more frequently. Over time white grout looks a little yellow and not a pretty sight against white tiles.
  • Lisa Goodland
    7 anni fa

To avoid your white grouting going grey over time; definitely use a grout sealer before use. I did; and my white grouting is still white after five years. Best hour or so spent with a tiny paintbrush, ever!

Angela Cowan ha ringraziato Lisa Goodland
  • Angela Cowan
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks for all the advice. I had the tiler come back and redo the grout for me. I'm happy now. @jetboys thanks for the tip, I wish I'd known this before I used the two other bathrooms we did last year!! If I give it a good clean do you think I could use the sealer? The other bathrooms are less than 12 months old.

• Lisa Goodland
    7 anni fa

Hi Angela, I just re-read the instructions on the sealer; and am sure it wouldn't be a problem to seal older grout. New grout must be at least 48 hours old apparently; so in reading between the lines, older grout is also ok! Best of luck. Lisa.

• PRO
    Federation Homes
    7 anni fa

Hi, keep the grey grout white is very unforgiving to keep clean.

• PRO
    Richard Parsons Constructions
    7 anni fa

My suggestion is first talk to the builder to see what instructions he gave the tiler as i'm sure he doesn't want a dissatisfied client. Most tilers will check with the builder before grouting especially when a colour is not specified in a contract.

I would then ask if the grout could be replaced, from the looks of it it will only be a couple of hours work. There is nothing worse than having to look at something you are not happy with. I would not use the paint product as it will alway look like it is covering a mistake.

White will look better.

Make sure the mixer body is waterproofed or you will have a leak in your wall, the membrane should lap onto the body from the wall if it is done well.

All the best.

• Angela Cowan
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thanks for the advice everyone. They came back and fixed the grout. My builder has since told the tiler to ALWAYS confirm the grout colour before going ahead. Seems kind of obvious to me.
    I'm going to seal the white grout so it stays white longer! Wish me luck.
  • Carol Jones
    7 anni fa

Good work Angela! We project managed our own bathroom reno and I must admit that the tradies always confirmed with us each step before going ahead (tile direction & grout, positioning of electricals & plumbing, vanity & shelf heights, etc).

As you say, seems an obvious thing to do but clearly doesn't always happen! The tiles look great by the way.

• baysig
    7 anni fa

HI Angela, So happy it worked out for you and you had an ethical builder/tiler to change the grout. I project manage my own renovations and, for the future, it's really important to always have your 'specifications' written down and signed by the tradesman (or builder if he's organizing the trades). I'm also a stylist and I can see 2 reasons that the tiler MAY have chosen grey grout for the white tiles. 1. He wasn't told not to and/or 2. He may have done other jobs where clients WANTED the grey grout to flow with the grey tiles on the floor so it all tied together. Enjoy your new bathroom!

• Terri Turner
    7 anni fa

Glad you had them come back. You will be able to look at them each day now. Down the track, do as I do, as I to have white grout. I bought a hand held grout steamer which is great. Which I use once a year. in between I put pure White King in a spray bottle and just spray all over TILE and Grout ONLY. DON'T SPRAY ON YOUR SILVER OR CHROME TAPS ECT......... you won't have discoloured grout.

• LesleyH
    7 anni fa
    Discussion closed. Person seeking advice now completed works.
  • Kazwa
    7 anni fa
    Angela, I've bought the same tiles as you for my bathroom so I've been reading all this advice with interest. Would love to see your finished bathroom pics if you don't mind sharing
  • D Me
    7 anni fa

My kitchen tiler convinced me to let him use light grey grout instead of the white I'd planned on. I LOVE the grey- it has transformed the room, nothing else would have done the same.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".