Houzz Logo Print
jyhwang

Should we take the leap: dark paint on bedroom walls?!

Jenny
7 anni fa

Hi design gurus! First time renovating our very own home and want to go bold with the bedroom. I would love to go with dark painted walls until I realized that it's dark during the long winters here and I wonder if that would make it just depressing. Would love your thoughts and experience (and photos!) on this.

The bedroom is small (10x12), has a window with plenty of light and warm amber wood floors. We have a dark grey upholstered bed, midcentury modern teak dresser with gold hardware, and white silk carpet with dark blue streaking weaved in. Everything else we can purchase.

TL;DR Will dark bedroom walls be super depressing during long winter months?

Inspiration photo:

Commenti (34)

• disfromage
    7 anni fa

I'm a big fan of dark colors in small spaces—they can be warm and cozy, and give the illusion of the room being bigger than it is. I say go for it!

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Although you did a great job describing your bedroom and furniture, a picture is truly worth a thousand words --Can you post photos of the room?

Also, how much time do you spend in your bedroom? I know personally we end up in our bedroom more often than we do in our living room. We too have close to 7-8 months of no sun/grey, so I get your dilemna of being too dark.

• PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    7 anni fa

White or light-colored walls are better at reflecting light. A small, dark room can be balanced by light-colored furniture but it sounds like the furniture you have is dark, so I would stick to a light-colored walls.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 anni fa

Do you spend time in the bedroom in the daytime , I am always confused over the issue of light in a bedroom that no one goes into except at night . I happen to love gray bedrooms they are rstful and easy to decorate around the furniture you have would easily lend itself to a gray bedroom

• Jennifer Dube
    7 anni fa

We lived in a house that got very little sunlight. The bedroom got sun pretty much only in the morning. The walls were a white tint and they just looked gloomy and dingy (even though the paint was new).

Eventually we painted in dark, saturated tones... and it looked much better -- more deliberate and intentional.

Our new place is filled with light so we're going with white walls.

TL;DR: white walls (or kitchens, for that matter) are not necessarily the answer in houses that are dark with little light.

• Hilary Truchan
    7 anni fa

I recently have a love for dark paint also. I am renting right now and don't have any rooms that are dark but I thought I would add my inspiration photo. It's not a bedroom but maybe it will help you. I love this room. It is so luxurious looking. I understand your concerns about the long, dark winters but since you are painting a bedroom, I think you should go for it.

• Ramona
    7 anni fa

We need a picture of your room, more than one actually, at least four. You could do a dark red, a dark purple, but dark grey or black, I don't think so.

Make sure you take Vit d3 in the winter months. It is crucial for those of us living in northern latitudes.

• RubyRoses
    7 anni fa
    I also have long dreary winters, but for a bedroom, I could easily see going dark. I can visualize a deep eggplant wall.
  • disfromage
    7 anni fa

Eggplant! Check out what Mark Hampton was doing in the 1980s—might be a bit luxe for your taste, but he did some gorgeous Aubergine rooms.

• Jenny
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Yes of course, pictures of the room!

Here are some photos from the sellers of the home - this would not be our furniture. My back is up against the wall to take this photo:

Here is our furniture:

Thanks x2!

• Ramona
    7 anni fa

LOL. There is already purple in the room. I am a purple lover although I go for blue/purple.

Aubergine would be lush. Add silver in lots of different ways to make it sparkle. Look at Ralph Lauren metallic paints.

This is a very nice room, well proportioned. I am assuming your chest would go on the wall you are standing against?

You will need to do something about those drapes blocking too much of the window. I suggest shades with small side panels so the windows can be completely open to the light when the shades are open. You can even get roman shades now that fold up to practically nothing, ditto up/down cellular. Whatever your preference can probably be made to work.

Now this is a case where I am going to be bold: how about a sky blue ceiling to help lift the spirits? It would go well with aubergine.

Do light bedding, probably white or whatever picks up your rug if it is more cream. I love silk rugs.

I love monochromatic with one accent color. The light blue of the ceiling could tug on the blue in the rug.

Any bedside tables should be light, white, silver. Or accent color, which should be some shade of blue or purple since you want monochromatic, if you want to go more exciting.

Mirrors behind bedside tables would reflect light; white framed art would also lighten up the space. In the end you might not see much of the background color with your bed and tables and mirrors covering a lot on the focal wall.

Have someone help you with the lighting so it bounces around the room at night for the times you will be in there and awake.

Oh, and I love the ceiling jewel which will reflect off the blue ceiling. Please do it. I want to see this transformation. Off to look for pictures.

Jenny ha ringraziato Ramona
  • Ramona
    7 anni fa

Parkwood Road Residence Master Bedroom · Maggiori informazioni

• Lizabeth
    7 anni fa

Are you sure you have measured correctly? Your room looks a wee bit larger than 10 x 12 and you posted an inspiration photo of a room that looks perhaps 28 x 16. What is your ceiling height?

• bradley_amber
    7 anni fa
    I was afraid to paint my bedroom a darker color, but once I did I never found it gloomy, but soothing and luxurious. I used sw poised taupe, which is a brown that has gray or purple tones in different lights. the ceiling is macadamia, a golden tan. and the trim is eider white, a very light gray, which looks so much richer than white would have with it. I have good decorative and accent lighting which makes it feel extra lux. the darker colors make it easier to sleep in our watch TV in my room during the day if I want to.
    Jenny ha ringraziato bradley_amber
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 anni fa

I painted my bedroom Valspar's Urban Pulse - dark charcoal brown with purple under tones. I love it!

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

Jenny, thanks for posting photos!

What a great space and I LOVE your furniture! Your windows look large enough and the space feels light enough to support some gorgeous dark walls --I say go for it. I would keep the trim white for crisp clean lines, but that's just me.

Also, may I ask where you found your bed? I've been struggling to find a dark grey upholstered mid century style bed. They all seem to be too light.

• Jenny
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Glo European Windows & Doors, thanks so much. The bed is from Gus Modern - it's the carmichael.

Lizabeth - the room has 8' high ceilings. It's only a smidge bigger than 10x12. The camera lens is deceiving!

• Ramona
    7 anni fa

Find your color and post here so we can see what you are planning. Ralph Lauren also has suede paint. That would give you the illusion of being wrapped in a blanket. Check it out. Not inexpensive, but maybe worth it.

• lslav2012
    7 anni fa
    We painted our bedroom black this past winter, and it is wonderful. It's very balanced with warm white and we get a lot of natural light, though. My husband was the reluctant one, for the same reasons you mentioned - long winters in Michigan, but he loves it. It's cozy and warm without being stifling and oppressive.

For the record, not any of our walls are fully painted black. We have wainscoting so only the upper portion is dark. Like I said, lots of balance.
    Jenny ha ringraziato lslav2012
  • Jenny
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Islav2012, do you have any photos you could share? It sounds wonderful.

Ramona, I love that idea. Let me take a peek at some!

• Mystic Home
    7 anni fa

and yesterday updated 1 feature wall in my guest bedroom: very dark grey to create depth and chic, (we also have that colour in our living room,) but kept the other walls light grey. Just took this photo today.

• User
    7 anni fa

Bedrooms are also used in illness.

• Mystic Home
    7 anni fa

oh god, what a thought! when you think of how depressing hospitals are, they are all painted white! that is food for thought.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 anni fa

Addressing the browns...I am not sure I would recommend a gray, unless there was a lot of blue undertone. This is BM cloudy sky...might work.

• groveraxle
    7 anni fa

This room can handle a fairly dark paint. The trick is going to be getting enough contrast between the bed and the wall.

Jenny ha ringraziato groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    7 anni fa

• suezbell
    7 anni fa

Have you considered an accent wall first to see if dark suits you -- such as three walls the same color and an accent wall a darker version of the same color.

I do like the blue of groveraxle's post of five minutes ago -- bold but without being depressingly dark -- if you keep the ceiling and floor and beddings light.

• PRO
    Flintridge Design Inc.
    7 anni fa

Berkshire La Canada · Maggiori informazioni

Except for showing off delineation points (like in these bedrooms and or large openings) I stopped using dark colors on the walls more than a year ago. I rely more on paintings, pillows, bedding and furniture to pull in color (last photo)...plus it makes the room feel bigger, my clients are very happy. Keep it clean and go white this year!

Master Bedroom · Maggiori informazioni

• Ramona
    7 anni fa

try aubergine, at least a sample board

and yes, don't obscure the beauty of your bed by not creating enough contrast between wall and bed.

I really do not like accent walls for most applications. I don't think a room this small benefits at all from an accent wall.

blue bedroom · Maggiori informazioni

mhi-2008-windmark-master-bedroom-l.jpg (320×240) · Maggiori informazioni

Jenny ha ringraziato Ramona
  • Ramona
    7 anni fa

Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas · Maggiori informazioni

• Jenny
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

All such great points. I love the idea of aubergine as so many of you guys suggested, but will be harder to convince my husband. I'll get some paint samples to test it out.

What do you guys think of going dark blue on all three walls and a white accent wall to create contrast with the bed? Too much going on??

• Diana Rege
    7 anni fa
    My bedroom is a dark navy and I love it. I have angled ceilings in my room so that helps balance the dark color, but I also added brightness with light bedding and bright accents. I always wanted to change the curtains too but never got around to it.
  • Michele Jarosz
    7 anni fa
    I think dark colors in small rooms is great. As far as depressing I just think with the right lighting it will feel very warm and cozy. A sanctuary.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".