Houzz Logo Print
trishinrochmn

Small Backyard/Dog Run

Trish S
7 anni fa

I just bought a home in Southeast Minnesota. I have a small. very narrow (7' by 50'), fenced in backyard. I am interested in suggestions for grass varieties. With three dogs, it needs to be pretty tough, tolerate full sun during the day, and Minnesota winters. Any suggestions would be great. I plan on putting a patio in on one end, just enough for two chairs and a side table as well as a pergola or sail shade for a break from the sun (only over the patio). The dogs are only outside for exercise and potty breaks and I hate mowing so this property was great. I have turned the front yard into mostly flower beds so all I have is this little patch in the back. The dogs are destroying the weeds back there now so every time it rains it is a mud pit (which also gets tramped into my kitchen). I would love something that grows pretty quick, I know I will have to keep them off it for awhile and leash walking them kind get tiring. I am open to suggestions. I just want it to look appealing as well as function well for the dogs. Thank you for your ideas! (and for reading my scattered thoughts!)

Commenti (10)

• C F
    7 anni fa

Good luck with this. Not sure how big your dogs are, but my dogs' urine destroys all grass no matter what. It has been a constant struggle for us. Our landscaper has been trying to talk us into this stuff called Porous Pave for our dog run area. I hope someone has better suggestions!

Trish S ha ringraziato C F
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 anni fa

i'd keep your patio next to the house, and then the back can go (more) to the dogs. perhaps a trellis sort of screen at the back of the patio before the dog run.

but you cannot own dogs and not clean up their feces; the urine cannot be helped. there must be websites also that suggest paving ideas good for their feet, good for drainage (it must NOT run off into abutters yards or they will hate you) and buy a long hose to wash the surface down after doing scoop patrol.

dogs take a lot of work and energy. its why i own a cat!

Trish S ha ringraziato Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 anni fa

There is actually a fake grass made for dog runs it is called K9 grass

Trish S ha ringraziato Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Landis Garden Design
    7 anni fa

Dog urine will create brown spots on all natural turf, and many shrubs, as well. Ultimate Grass is a realistic looking artificial turf product. It will have a drainage layer, made with sand and rock base, and if you hose off the turf, the drainage will help to dissipate the remaining urine, so that it won't kill any downslope neighboring plant material. You could also try putting out a large piece of driftwood, or some other like object in the back corner, which will act as a magnet for the dogs. This area could even be made entirely of sand or mulch, and after the dogs mark this area, you may find that they return there to do their business. Dogs will also need shade, so if there is not a tree already... you could consider planting one!

Trish S ha ringraziato Landis Garden Design
  • Trish S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

I have a pretty good pooper scooper and have no problem cleaning up after them. I'm really interested in od school, plain old grass. I have been just adding seed to the brown spots and it grows back slowly. I was hoping someone knew of a variety that is possible more tolerant to the urine spots.

With the yard being so narrow I think I might just have to stick to what I have. I cannot plant a tree since the yard runs along the back side of my house. I don't want to cause foundation issues.

Thank you for your suggestions-I might visit the local nursery to see if they have any suggestions on a better grass seed to fill in with.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    7 anni fa

Check with your local garden center or extension office (a free service) to find out what the best varieties are for your area, and then to minimize TTD (time till dawg) I'd sod it. 350 sq ft is a tiny area.

In terms of urine damage, ask your vet if there are supplements that offer enzymes to reduce the damage. I've heard of such things but I have no experience with them - I was blessed with a Landscape Dawg whose urine seems to have no effect on grass.

Trish S ha ringraziato Revolutionary Gardens
  • Trish S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

I have one dog that likes to go "potty" right off the patio area. Her urine seems to be my lawn killing culprit. I thought about adding a border of pea size rocks to eliminate that issue. I've been looking at lots of pictures online and have a pretty good plan figured out. I am heading towards fescue for the lawn, pavers with a rock edging, some flowers along the house and a shade sail over the patio. I hope it turns out! Thanks for all the ideas!!!

• Trish S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

thanks!!!!

• PRO
    Beach Bum Turf Co.
    7 anni fa

Check out our turf!! Perfect for dogs

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".