Houzz Logo Print
jrad4

TV over fireplace - help with design

Jared
11 anni fa
Ultima modifica:11 anni fa
I'm in the process of buying a house, and I'm having trouble figuring out where to mount the TV. It looks like the only option I have in the living room is above the fireplace due to the space (see picture).

There's a 9 ft. wide chimney, painted white inside, with hallways on both sides. The prior owners mounted a thin wood mantle, but didn't have a TV. To the left of the picture is the dining room, and to the right is a sitting area - all 3 "rooms" are one big open room (rectangular). The rear wall are sliding doors to the backyard.

What I was thinking was to build a new mantle the width of the chimney, but also extend it down vertically on both sides, and mount the TV above that with all of the wires hidden down the sides. The cable box/etc. would be in the basement with an IR/RF extender next to the TV to control the devices.

Can anyone offer advice or show me anything similar to this layout and what has been done? That would be a big help to see something similar - so far everything I've seen in pictures has a wall behind the chimney, where in this case the other side is a staircase going to the top floor.

Commenti (12)

• Jeanette Hauser
    11 anni fa
    I can't see the photo, but unless you RARELY watch the TV, do not put it above the fireplace. Neck strain and annoyance will be the only possible result of this design mistake.
  • Jared
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Not sure why the photo isn't showing up - let me work on that.

There doesn't seem like another place for the TV - so it's either have it above the fireplace, or don't have a TV. The latter isn't an option.
  • Jared
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
  • Jeanette Hauser
    11 anni fa
    You really DO NOT want to put a TV up there unless it's never going to be turned on.
  • joanbllt
    11 anni fa
    The angle of watching TV over the fireplace is decreased by the distance that the comfortable chairs are placed from the fireplace. A great many of us have used this solution for placing TV - If you do a mantel treatment just try to keep the mantle and TV low.
  • PRO
    Marioarts
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    If you can......get the height of the center of the tv from the floor and the distance from the tv to where your head would be. Also what is the size of tv you would like in that location? I've done a number of these installations and the home owner was always pleased.
  • onthefence
    11 anni fa
    It would probably be helpful if you could post photos of all 4 available walls - even though they're separate rooms. It may help people get a better sense of the space you're dealing with.
  • Jared
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    It'll be somewhere between 4-5 feet high, and probably 9 feet from the couch. Right now I have a 50" but will look to upgrade if it is too small.
  • Jared
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    I won't be able to get pictures of the other walls until I move in - sometime next week. I will update this post then. Thanks everyone.
  • mrsjh
    11 anni fa
    We have a tv over our fireplace and love it. Jared, I think it your flatscreen will look great on that wall.
  • Jared
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Mrsjh - about how far do you sit from the TV?
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".