Houzz Logo Print
sadiya

Modernising 1930s house exterior

sadiya
7 anni fa
Any ideas on how I could update/modernise the exterior?

Many thanks.

Commenti (23)

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

Painting the window frames and door a darker shade of grey would make it look more contemporary. I also think the picket fence makes it look a bit twee so perhaps making that much darker would make it less obvious.

• sadiya
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Kitchenpod your door is gorgeous!!!

Yes I like the idea of a very light grey. Will look into rendering the bottom half! Thank you!
  • sadiya
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Property facelift thanks for your comments. Are these types of window frames 'paintable'? Don't think they are wood.
    If I could that work be good! Maybe render everything an off white and then grey frames.

Might get rid of the picket fence! ;)
  • titiankim
    7 anni fa
    Not sure that I would render the bottom half. I think it would look strange because of the band of bricks between the two floors. I would replace (or paint) the fence, change the colour of the windows and change the front door for something either with 30s proportions or completely modern (I like the colour but to me the mock Victorian paneling is wrong on a 30s house). If you do re-render, I'd consider solid wall insulation
  • Jonathan
    7 anni fa
    Personally I think the brick/ render combination suits this house.
    You could replace the upstairs windows with plainer windows - with the multi paned windows limited to the bay and to the fanlights of the upstairs windows this would clean up the look.
    However for me the garden is what needs attention. The picket fence may be lovely for some people but for me it is twee and perhaps a plain rendered wall or railings would look less fussy.
  • PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    7 anni fa

Sadiya, the best thing you could do would be to replace the windows with timber windows in the authentic original design. Classy looks - and you could have them in a funky colour.

Restoration of 1905 house · Maggiori informazioni

• lynneamandahayes
    7 anni fa
    I think if budget allows, change the windows to something more simple, maybe n a pale grey or light sage green or even just white without the Georgian bars. I too think the picket fence is quite twee. Again if budget allows you could have a small wall built and plant some taller plants behind it or standard bay trees, also Photinia standards look good. I would then echo this with modern pot slanted up either side of front door. If you can't afford to do a wall maybe a more modern type of fence painted in a colour to co-ordinate with windows or door.
  • sadiya
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Yes, jonathandb1972, I agree re: garden. We would want to change the look completely and probably pave to fit two cars in. Not sure what to replace fence with though!!
  • sadiya
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Wood Window Alliance, thank you!! Those windows are lovely.
  • sadiya
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    lynneamandahayes, thanks for your comments. Yes, want to replace fence. I agree with a wall but as the other side of the house is a shared driveway I'm trying to figure out how the continuity of the wall would work on that side.
  • mrshste
    7 anni fa

Lovely house! I'd just go for simpler windows and a new, darker fence.

• sadiya
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Any pics of 'simpler windows', I did a Google search and there are looooads :)
  • k11agl
    7 anni fa
    Replace fence with an evergreen hedge. Otherwise I actually really like the front of your house. Great job in keeping it in this good shape!
  • Grem U
    7 anni fa

How about painting the bricks? The windows I like. The garden is quite bare - I would be inclined to add plenty of colour in pots, or along the fence line to draw the eye away from the house. Alternatively you could grow something up the house wall to hide it.

• Jonathan
    7 anni fa
    I like Edwardian style windows. Plain at the bottom with more detailed fanlights
  • PRO
    The Styled Nest
    7 anni fa
    I would keep the half render / half brick. It's very characterful and typifies homes of this era. Sometimes full render can make properties looks bland and modern like a new build. You have such a pretty house it needs so little to transform it. Just smartening up with paintwork. If you add core gravel to the whole front area with an evergreen hedge/ laurel hedge it would smarten it all up and modernise it whilst keeping its character
  • PRO
    The Styled Nest
    7 anni fa
    If you could afford it I would add wooden casement windows like these ... The first photo is before, the second is after
  • PRO
    House Martin Online
    7 anni fa

Hi, Grow a climber (wisteria?) from the side of the door, up and over across the window bay. Michael.

• gold895
    7 anni fa

Personally I think the house looks great as it is. Maybe you should repaint the top half and maybe renew the roof over the window and door but otherwise I really like it.

• gold895
    7 anni fa

Oh, I forgot - pave all of the righthand side of house for parking and even a couple of pots with some flowers.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    7 anni fa

The front of your home is lovely. Don't make any drastic changes like painting brick or rendering the entire facade. Instead, look at the front gardens of other homes in your area and study books on domestic landscaping for ideas.

The picket fence, although very sweet, is not contemporary. If you want fencing, consider more sophisticated styles. Alternatively, planting a hedge in box or copper beech would give a sharp edge to the property and you can soften the frontage by growing an evergreen climber like clematis or honeysuckle. Additional box balls and pyramids in a partarre bed with herbaceous planting inside gives year round greenery and colour in the summer.

Discuss the drive with your neighbour and consider a drive of pavers that will allow water to seep between instead of running off into the road.

If your budget extends that far, replace the windows with the original 1930's style https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/94/c6/22/94c622f1fca67bef3b6c2a187cd57aca.jpg

• maughana
    7 anni fa
    I agree with wood window alliance... they took the words out of my mouth.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".