Houzz Logo Print
michelesteiner

Need help with a living room fireplace

I want to update the look of the fireplace to complement a more modern feel in the living room. The furniture I have in mind includes barcelona chairs; nubby, pale fabric on a sofa and love seat;

and a large glass coffee table. Thanks for any recommendations!

Commenti (22)

• jeff1185
    7 anni fa

Depending on how much work you're interested in putting into it, you could tile over the stone. I tiled over my brick fireplace and was happy with the result. Search Houzz photos for "modern tile fireplace" for some examples.

michelesteiner ha ringraziato jeff1185
  • PRO
    Alex & Lily Home
    7 anni fa

I was going to suggest tile as well. There are many many beautiful options. A larger format tile will compliment the more modern feel you are going for (12" x24" or even 12"x 36"). Less grout lines = more modern.

michelesteiner ha ringraziato Alex & Lily Home
  • jbtanyderi
    7 anni fa
    Make sure you have tables/chests close enough to seating that people can easily set things down. Barcelona chairs were never designed for a long sit (they were created in case the Queen of Spain needed a brief rest while touring the German pavilion at the Barcelona World's Fair in the thirties).
    michelesteiner ha ringraziato jbtanyderi
  • PRO
    Studio Riche Designs
    7 anni fa

Hi, Michelesteiner! It all depends on your budget. An easy, cost effective solution is to paint the stone white. Then, hang a contemporary, abstract artwork or mirror on it to add to a more modern look. But, if you can splurge a little and change it, I'd pick tile below.

• michelesteiner
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you for that interesting idea! I have seen the white tile you picture in a couple showrooms.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa
    I have some questions. Will the rug, current furniture, piano etc be going? Is there a TV to be in this room? What do adjoining rooms look like? Changing the fireplace will drive other changes so the choices you will have will expand as you move along. I don't recommend Barcelona chairs for two reasons. First, the are horribly uncomfortable. Second they take up a lot of floor space. Generally would rather have a couple more comfortable chairs than a love seat. Sofa and love seat say "traditional" to me. So, get all your design choices laid out before you tackle the fireplace. Now the fireplace. Resurfacing stone is not a simple project. Research that, talk to several Mason's about what they would recommend. Get references from person you lean toward and contact them and learn what to expect and if this company did a good job, timely, and with attention to detail. This is large area so make sure you understand all costs. You also have the hearth. Is that coming out? What floor impacts might result? Probably need to replace with maybe black slab of granite and select depth of stone that will work with existing floor. Lots of things to consider. Better to understand now than jump into fireplace and run into lots of issues that cause more expense and delays in execution. This looks like a working fireplace. White stone could discolor with one fire where the damper wasn't closed. If it has or you just want white get a gas log insert.
    michelesteiner ha ringraziato Flo Mangan
  • gustaviatex
    7 anni fa

You could paint the stone fireplace and hearth flat white. Remove that black fire screen as a first step. If that doesn't do it for you, then you can go to the expense of having it tiled. And Flo Mangan makes a good point: a sofa and love seat shout "traditional" and you wanted a more modern look. She is also right about Barcelona chairs; you sit so deep it is hard to get up. They are better for bank lobbies.

Look for a fabric sofa on legs and two leather chairs than can sit side by side or at each end of your square glass coffee table. Hang out at the West Elm website looking for sales and ideas.

• gustaviatex
    7 anni fa

groveraxle I thought you would at least paint out that doll on the hearth :-)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa
    Hahaha. I was waiting for a comment on that. I think Grover has good idea on the rustic/modern concept. Good going Grover!
  • groveraxle
    7 anni fa

• michelesteiner
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks so much for the comments and room inspirational ideas! What program did you use to import colors and the rug?

• everdebz
    7 anni fa

Yes to keeping fp as it is - wonderful options in earthy colors, the grey cement and rusty brown ok.

• groveraxle
    7 anni fa

Michele, I use Photoshop Elements.

• PRO
    Pamela Qarbaghi
    7 anni fa

The Beach House · Maggiori informazioni

My Houzz: Laid-Back Casual Style in a San Francisco Home · Maggiori informazioni

Open Concept Great Room With Vaulted Ceiling · Maggiori informazioni

Sometimes it is best to keep the stone and paint it to refresh and change the look.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 anni fa

A hearth is missing as a nice Walnut slab would help the look.

Ken

• michelesteiner
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you Zoe!

• decoenthusiaste
    7 anni fa

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-a-stone-fireplace/

I'd give the stone FP a good cleaning, find a great rustic mantel and go with a MCM rustic look as suggested above. Mix MCM and natural or distressed wood.

Little Big House · Maggiori informazioni

Midcentury Living Room · Maggiori informazioni

Elegant modern rustic dining room · Maggiori informazioni

• Gargamel
    7 anni fa

I like the fireplace as is

• jbtanyderi
    7 anni fa
    The rug is too small for the space. The Barcelona is quite uncomfortable. It was designed as a visual gem rather than a thing of comfort.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".