Houzz Logo Print
stefkah

Can you help with ideas - struggling to choose colour from go with wal

Stef
7 anni fa
Hi All!
Can you please help me - we are redecorating a very important but difficult area - stairs and landing. We have very high walls and the area is very open plan so visually connects the downstairs and upstairs. For the wall currently in white, the family choose this graphic wallpaper, but we got totally stuck on pain colour. Our original choice (grey)don't seem to work..what colour would you choose?
The light is very different through out the area.
Thank you ever so much!

Commenti (13)

• minnie101
    7 anni fa

Hi. i assume you want the paint to match, if so take a piece of the paper along to valspar at b&q to colour match it

• Daisy England
    7 anni fa
    I like that wallpaper.

If you're looking for a close match for paint try Johnstones paint. I've found it far superior to all of the other brands. They mix to suit.
  • Stef
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Hi - I don't really want the colour to match the background colour, more like something that gently contrast, hope that makes sense.
  • PRO
    The Lighting Company
    7 anni fa

The grey and taupes look great together all you need then is a highlight or a little colour pop like orange but if you have had enough orange, hot pink or teal are also a good song colour pop. If bright colours are not for you a subtle pattern to link the 2 colours into one theme. If you are changing the curtain? You could use that to bring in the 2 colours. Or use your art of the stairs as inspiration I especially think the one with the earthy tone and the rustic houses shows the colour pallet really well. The colours will work together. If you really can't fall in love again with the grey again maybe go a darker shade than the wall paper to give a more contemporary look. I'd say your choices are nice it's the the accessories or curtain that will bring the look together. I for one can't wait to see a finished room. Please let us see what the final loo is like.

Really sorry but one thing I'd have to say- the spotlight in the stairwell needs to be changed in my view. It's a long stairwell and the little spot looks a wee bit lost in that big space. We have a few long stairwell lights in various style. But I like these, warm rich colours -just a suggestion! You may have other idea's that would work as well.

Just felt I must say, sorry.

• PRO
    RA design studio
    7 anni fa
    you could consider painting the hand rail and the stairs? This would lighten the entire space up and create to a modern fresh look. You could then use carpet tiles to add some colour and character. Good luck
  • PRO
    RA design studio
    7 anni fa
    Sorry your stairs would suit these stair treads!
  • shelleyuk
    7 anni fa

I think you need something which is a lighter shade of the background colour.

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

I agree with minnie, although, Dulux is the better paint, you pay more for it but use far less of it. Introducing a third colour is going to complicate the area. The staircase needs to be white so that it's light and airy, and i love the idea of a strong contrast coloured stair runner or carpet. Green and Raspberry work very well with Grey as does Turquoise.

• PRO
    The Lighting Company
    7 anni fa

Don't go for a green I've done this before the green and grey are really difficult to get right especially a pale green they are too close. I think you may end up with the same situation you have now. Your 2 colours are similar but not enough to get the family vote. It's either scrap that idea altogether, which is a shame- I think it could look great. The look is modern midcentury which would really work with your stairs and won't be too busy to unite the upstairs and downstairs spaces. Trust your first thoughts You'd need to find a way of marrying them together with either a bold contrast colour just a little to enliven the look or go for a subtle pattern with both the back ground wallpaper colour and the grey. I'd vote for the darkest on your selection of 4

May I give one more opinionated comment - don't paint the stairs white, please! I think they really suit the style you appear to be going towards 'midcentury modern' I like this look a lot! -hence my chipping in with an opinion again.

Change your ceiling light, if funds allow. We have a really good offer at the moment that may help if you decide to look at lighting. Just take a peak at the our website. I hope it'll give a little inspiration.

Does everyones opinions help you or make it worse? I would possibly make me dither. Don't be worried, go with your own thoughts, tis your home after all- if you like it, that's all that matters.

I'd love to see the finished results. Will you post a pic when your finished?

The Lighting Company

• Juliet Docherty
    7 anni fa

Another opinion - I agree with The Lighting Company that you should keep the staircase the colour it is. It will look very mid century and also it complements the wallpaper and the grey. Any colour with greens or bluey/grey neutrals will bring out the colour in wood. I don't think the colour swatches really work with the wallpaper. However the grey colours do work with the wood. I would either choose another wallpaper or use two of the greys, lighter one in large area and pick out the other wall in the darker colour.

• Stef
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thank you for all your comments - I love the idea of changing the light, and we'd probably do that anyway; as soon as we decide what we want to do with the colours. It's indeed the need to look for coherence and coordination that overwhelm me. I tried the wallpaper with light yellow I dusty pink colour, but I keep coming back to the greys for some reason.
  • mopher70
    7 anni fa
    I guess it depends on whether you want a pop of colour or you want the space to look light, bright & neutral. Have you thought about using an off white colour, which would pick up the edging colour of the leaf pattern on your wallpaper? If you look at Crown (Sail White for example) rather than brilliant white it has a light bright tone but is slightly off white that would work well with your wallpaper choice. Dulux and Farrow & Ball, to name others, all have their own off white range. As someone else has suggested, I would splash out on a statement light as it looks like your stairwell can take it! Hope it all goes well for you
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".