Houzz Logo Print
tresmamma

What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

tresmamma
7 anni fa

I am considering pulling a soft grey from the granite and painting all cabinets that color. I am considering painting island a soft white. I would also consider the opposite. Any other recommendations or suggestions?

Commenti (16)

• tresmamma
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Elle, that was my initial thought as well but then I flipped it around. I think you might be right. I do love a white kitchen!

• PRO
    InLovd, LLC
    7 anni fa

I would recommend the same, but make sure the gray is a nice contrast from the white. Sometimes a soft grey (especially against a soft white) can look like the white with a shadow on it. Go for a deeper grey that compliments the countertop so there is an obvious difference in hues. Good luck, and make sure to post pictures when it's complete.

• tresmamma
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you InLovd. Great advice!

• User
    7 anni fa

U can't go wrong with white. And grey. Looks modern n fresh. We did that to our kitchen (which cabinets were really dark) n it turned out great.

But I honestly like the kitchen the way it looks too. It doesn't look old to me but it's ur kitchen n u should love cooking in it. I know I myself need that to get me in that room. Lol.

Funny how we always want something different than what we have...

good luck. :)

• kjoy1
    7 anni fa

Why?!? You have a beautiful kitchen :)

• tresmamma
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you both! Yes I do have a nice kitchen but I have had maple colored cabinets in just about every house I have lived in (never installed by me) and I am SICK of them. The long term plan is to put in a new kitchen in X amount of years but until then I am trying to update it to my liking. So far all I have done is replace the island pendants. I got quotes from professionals to do the cabinets a while back. It would be so costly that I have decided to do them myself. Terrible idea? I did paint my bathroom vanity and it came out nice. I also do paint walls and have painted some furniture so I have some experience but I am far from a professional.

• kjoy1
    7 anni fa
    I hear you:) And don't want to talk you out of the white kitchen of your dreams but I would rather have high quality maple cabinets than a diy paint job that would never look or wear as well as new. Save for your white kitchen. Donate maple. Someone I feel would be very lucky to have them. In my opinion.
  • beseaside
    7 anni fa

You might want to check out the Ben Moore Cabinet Paint. It is excellent, goes on smoothly and dries hard.

• PRO
    Peters Cabinetry
    7 anni fa

Hi there! Something to consider: I don't know the market in your area, (not sure where you are located), but by the time you pay someone (who is skilled enough) to do you a good repaint/reface job, you may be a third of the way to the cost for a brand new kitchen. If you decide to repaint, I would consider painting the perimeter BM Linen White or BM White Dove. For the Island, what about a splash of color? Your cabinets have a hint of early american style so I would consider a color and distressed finish like below:

• Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

I am so sorry you do not like that beautiful kitchen, and I truly know being sick of a kitchen.

However, if you are planning on remodeling in a few years, please do not waste any money on a short term fix. Try to bite the bullet and collect pictures and ideas of what you want this to look like when you are able to do your full remodel.

Instead of spending energy painting, spend energy finding the perfect handles, backsplash, countertop, etc. Painting your cabinets will not be the fix you are looking for.

tresmamma ha ringraziato Kathi Steele
  • Elle
    7 anni fa

I would suggest having the cabinets professionally painted vs. DIY as mentioned a couple of times.

• tresmamma
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

It was probably a silly idea. I think you are all right that doing it myself will not "fix" it for me. I will try to be patient for a couple of years until I can redo my kitchen.

• Elle
    7 anni fa

I actually think the cabinets look nice and I'm sure the kitchen looks much brighter and better when the lights are on. You could consider getting two new glass pendants in the meantime.

• tresmamma
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Oh no! Those pendants are brand new LOL! I looked at millions glass pendants. I didn't want to spend too much since they are sort of temporary. I am also sensitive to bright annoying light and find these soft and comfortable. They are from RH.
  • Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

tresmamma, I KNOW how hard it is to be in a kitchen that you do not like. If you can be patient and think "this too shall pass" you will be rewarded with the kitchen of your dream!! Took me 7 years and a broken fridge, but I finally got mine.

tresmamma ha ringraziato Kathi Steele
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".