Houzz Logo Print
tjgcreative

How do you choose Artwork for your Interior Design?

TJG Creative
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:7 anni fa

Control - Canvas Art Print 16 x 16 Inch · Maggiori informazioni

Hey everyone!

I’m looking for some help if you wouldn’t mind :)

I’m developing a business aimed at people who are searching for the perfect artwork to complement their interior design. This would be an artwork different to abstract flicks of paint on a canvas. Something that tells a compelling story to inspire you every time you look at it.

My idea is to sell artworks of my own design as well as offer a bespoke artwork service, where we could collaborate and I execute your vision; creating the perfect piece to complement your room design.

I wanted to create this because I love to tell stories with images that inspire. Also, helping someone find or design that perfect piece inspires me to achieve more in my art. To get an idea of my work take a look here: http://tjgcreative.com or see the images above.

I’d really like to speak to some people who are interested in inspirational artworks for their interior design. I want to ask them some questions about how they currently shop for artworks and how they connect with people who share an interest in Art / Interior Design.

I would be so grateful if you could help me. And in return I’m happy to offer a 25% discount on any of my products.

If you could spare 40 minutes I’d love to chat, just email me at tiff@tjgcreative.com or you can message me on here.

Thank you so much!

PS – This is not a sales call – it’s just research and I’d be really grateful if you

could help me out!

Commenti (20)

• User
    7 anni fa

Houzz, this should be in Other.

TJG Creative ha ringraziato User
  • suzineedsahouse
    7 anni fa

People who choose art to match their cushions etc are ...what's the word? Hmmm...WRONG!!! Yep - that's it. Just Wrong.

TJG Creative ha ringraziato suzineedsahouse
  • PRO
    TJG Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Oh well I'm hoping that there are people who might be looking for a bit more than matching to cushions (although I can appreciate that it's a factor) like a story and something that inspires them. I'm trying to work out if maybe I'm just out here in crazy pants land and in the real world - maybe that's just not how it works.

Also - apologies I'll make sure I put anything like this in the Other category next time.

• PRO
    TJG Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

That's such an awesome story of Art just calling to you jmm1837. It affects me like that when I'm creating it but I wasn't sure if people felt that way when viewing or deciding to buy. Thanks for the feedback :D

• Vy
    7 anni fa

I am quite fussy.. I don't buy art unless it catches my eyes and then that's it lol I will find a place for it not having a place and trying to find 'it'

TJG Creative ha ringraziato Vy
  • LesleyH
    7 anni fa
    I would also change my interior to complent my Art. The other I see as decoration.
    TJG Creative ha ringraziato LesleyH
  • PRO
    TJG Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

That's some great feedback.

• Laura Beaupeurt
    7 anni fa
    Most of the art work I currently have displayed tells a story from my life - it could be places I have been, the mood that a piece evokes, where I live, where I used to live, a place I like to be (for instance, in water particularly the ocean). I am running out of wall space but I am not going to let that deter me.
    TJG Creative ha ringraziato Laura Beaupeurt
  • PRO
    Cathi Colla Architects
    7 anni fa

Interesting concept Tiff.

Art (that hangs on a wall) can range in impact significantly – from 'just' a picture that simply tells a story or records a moment in time – to an element that inspires, delights, or intrigues.

Art is a very personal statement.

A single artwork can inspire one person, yet it can completely bore another.

(I'm an architect and artist) and a huge supporter of "Art for Art's sake". I'd rather not purchase an interesting canvas/pattern/image to compliment a particular decor. Rather, we are more likely to design a space to feature, and compliment, a Client's already much loved artwork (canvas/ picture/ 3D artwork).

Best of luck with your pursuit.

TJG Creative ha ringraziato Cathi Colla Architects
  • PRO
    TJG Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks everyone - I'm so glad I asked. It seems I need a totally different approach.

• Vy
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Laura ..completely agreed ..two of my pieces were bought from our client who was legally blind..the other piece had 5 birds representing the 5 of us..another I bought from one of those art show from a group at a shopping centre..when I bought it the person who painted it was so happy ..she made my day knowing I made her day..it was her first piece..a recent piece I bought for hubby because it's sexy like me lol it's a little doggy metal art lol then there's pieces from overseas momentos from our trips..

TJG Creative ha ringraziato Vy
  • ecl24
    7 anni fa
    There are people who buy art to match decor as I'm one of them. I'm not an art connoisseur nor do I have the money to buy really striking or one-of pieces. I just need things to fill empty walls and spaces so I often search for things based on my colour scheme. It's just different clientele; I would suspect that people shopping for art to match decor would have a much lower budget than those prioritising art and making everything else fit around it.
    TJG Creative ha ringraziato ecl24
  • PRO
    TJG Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks ecl24 and Vy! Again so glad I asked and to get an idea about how different people approach all of this.

• petapea
    7 anni fa

I actually love your idea of promoting meaningful art which also complements interior design (that the two don't have to be mutually exclusive!!). I purchased my first piece of art because I loved it, it spoke to me for all sorts of reasons (it's colour; that it was done by an artist whose work and ethos I had admired before at an exhibition; because the concept of the piece was personally meaningful). But- I was also on the lookout because I wanted something specifically to display in my home...in the end I found something I loved which would also fit the space I had in mind at the time, and I framed it to suit both my decor tastes and the artwork itself. I imagine to work with a range of clients across this spectrum you would have to be both art and creation savvy, but also knowledgeable about interior design. I wish you luck! Ps. I find your second black and white pic of the trees intriguing.

TJG Creative ha ringraziato petapea
  • petapea
    7 anni fa

To add: in truth I agree that sometimes art picks you (even when you're not looking for it especially), and sometimes you actively seek art (for various reasons). Your service might work on both fronts, people might come initially because they are seeking art to complement an interior, but they might leave with a piece of art that truly moves them if something they love catches their eye or imagination :-)

TJG Creative ha ringraziato petapea
  • PRO
    TJG Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you petapea - that's some fantastic feedback. The treas were on a lake in Bali during Sunrise. It just makes me feel so at peace that image.

• PRO
    Matt Hill Projects
    7 anni fa

Hi there, hope you don't mind me suggesting something. Im quite new to it but I make sculptures which incorporate light into them so you get an abstract cube or sphere during the day and then something else at night once everyone goes to bed. Just an option :) You can see more in my gallery at www.matthillprojects.com

• PRO
    Anna Cottee Designs
    7 anni fa

Agree with everyone who said that art should speak to them and not be purchased simply to match existing décor. I am a bit of an art hoarder. I have so many pieces of art that I buy simply because I love them or they really do speak to me! I do not have enough walls to hang all my art, so I simply recycle them. I move them around or replace one with another over and over again. When I purchase art for clients I do so in various ways. Art auctions, galleries, online, commissions etc. it really depends on what the client's budget is, how far I can push the client's boundaries but still stay within the parameters of what they like, and most importantly, how the art makes the client feel! I never buy art for a client and just install it without their imput because what speaks to me may not speak to them! I really like your pieces TJG creative! I happen to love photography however, most clients ( at least the majority of the ones I have worked for) seem to be glued to the idea of paintings. every now and then I manage to convince a client to include black and white photography in their home and I do this by bringing my own pieces in, showing them how wonderful they can be in their space and they are usually keen then to purchase some of their own.

I try to steer away from art prints if possible because in my opinion, something original can always be found to suit anyone's taste and budget. By buying original artworks, we are supporting our local art communities and encouraging new and emerging artists to continue pursuing their dreams. Good luck with your venture and I will certainly keep your works in mind if the opportunity arises.

• PRO
    Plush Design Interiors
    6 anni fa

Hi tkgcreative, lots of great feedback. I'll be happy to chat further with you as I also have a background in marketing. Having said that, I'm eclectic in my tastes and I purchase art works and object d'art that I like - that I want to have in my home. I encourage my clients to buy what they like - what moves them - and they are often surprised by that. Clients sometimes ask me to design a space around a favourite artwork - perhaps the theme and colours but not too prescriptive. For example, a heritage home with huge 2.5m wide and very long hallway - design the space but include a precious oil painting depicting their beach house. Other clients will be interested in colours, textiles, surfaces and furniture but have no idea what to put on the walls (invariably its walls). The other day I suggested an applique wall hanging because it just suited the whole vibe of the room being re-designed. The owner LOVED that idea and had secretly thought that herself, but wasn't confident in her own opinion to say anything. Instagram often shows bedroom whereby the artwork above the bed has the colours of the bedding and cushions (or vice versa) so that may be influencing perceptions. There is so much amazing creativity from artists that can be included in homes, it's impossible NOT to find the perfect piece. Cheers, Penelope

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".