Houzz Logo Print
paul_hudson_jones

Decorating advice needed....

Paul Hudson-Jones
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

Help..... We are in the process of changing our living room from monochrome into something more cosy, however I think we have got a tad excited with pattern. We recently up cycled our fireplace with geometric tiles, and shortly after bought a new feature sofa in check which we fell in love out of the blue. I know mixing patterns was a trend at some point but I'm not sure how I feel about mixing these two patterns together and I would really appreciate some advice. As I said we are the process of changing the room so the black tables and blinds will be changed for something softer, but will what we have left actually work? The TV also needs to be relocated and we are also unsure about the wall colour. As you can tell we are having a moment of crisis with our decorating choices!

Commenti (25)

• PRO
    FineArtSeen
    7 anni fa
    Hi Paul,

I think you have done a marvellous job and everything is perfectly co-ordinated. I agree with your choice of changing the table, possibly to something lighter. Oh and great find with the chess pieces!

All the best,
    Summer
  • championcat
    7 anni fa
    a big rug and change the coffee table. the patterns are fine
  • PRO
    Casa Colori
    7 anni fa

What a beautiful lounge you have. The first idea that cross my mind is to paint dark blue the wall behind the fireplace then I would use a light blue for the walls with the window and opposite one. For the wall opposite to the fireplace I would use a wallpaper with a patter similar or identical to the one of the fireplace. If it is possible I will place the diagonal between the fireplace wall and the window one.

I hope it helps

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

What a lovely room, partiularly like the mix of the geometric patterns with the check of the sofa, why not. The room is good size, and the walls are neutral with lovely curtains.

While trying to get away from monochrome and cosy things up, i'd remove the black furniture, Also, the chess pieces and floor lamp, as they sit firmly in the monochrome and cold camp.

I must say, lord knows where you're going to re-site the t.v to, it's a whopper, it dominates the wall, and the focal point should be the fireplace.

Putting the t.v into a unit with doors will look very nice as the t.v wouldn't not be on show and you wouldn't see the wires.

You could try going with a dark grey feature wall so that it dissapears into the wall somewhat, however, the grey will need balancing out with an accessory colour of a warmer toned nature. So, some accessorised colour cushions and rug - Don't go too dark though because it's going to overpower the lovely soft pastels.

I love the walls, curtains etc as they are, so maybe just accessorising with cream but different textures would work well.

T.V cupboard???

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Hello Paul,

Mixing textures and ranges of colour that compliment such as whites, greys and black with injections of silver such as you have done work well and can be moved from cool to warm and inviting by adding more textures..... Throws, sheepskins for the sofas, feathered tie backs for example...

Also try moving things round a little further..

Why not try the mirror over the mantle, with the two patterns here of tile and mirror it would really make quite a dramatic statement. The picture could then sit in the mirrors place behind the sofa and is at a better height.

I don't think you need to remove the black furniture as you can make this work as a contrast colour.. The unit under the very large tv screen could be placed in the middle with the other to create a divided coffee table and one that's a better size due to it's being the sum of two pieces.. placed with a bit of space between so its visibly two pieces.. Staggered even would make it more interesting.

The chess pieces could sit somewhere else so the fireplace has room to breathe as would it benefit from the tv screen moving to a less dominant position which may be possible as we can't see all the sides of the room..

If you move the love seat out a little more into the room you allow the window more space.. A darker plain cushion along with a zigzag cushion would be gr8 with the check love seat and really accent the play on design and textures.. Lastly a table lamp too to compliment the floor lamp would also be a nice addition here.. : ))

• Ludo Gallagher
    7 anni fa

I think it looks nice and could even take more pattern. Introduce some texture. A shaggy rug or sheepskin throw. The theory that tends to work with these things is you can have as much pattern as you want, it adds intrigue, so long as you stick to the same colour pallet.

• hollymoon
    7 anni fa

I'd get rid of one of the sofas thus avoiding the dentists waiting room feel. I'd also bin the black tables and the massive TV and not replace either. I'd then buy a copy of an interiors magazine and get some inspiration.

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

I've just read the above comment..............goodness there are a few grumpy bananas in the bunch on here.

Poor you, the room is lovely, as i said yesterday.

I was having a think about your tartan couch, i'd be quite envious to know where you purchased it, such lovely colours, very restful. Forgot to mention, that I think a really nice thick and textured cream rug will work well with all the sofas to cosy it up. I found this one, which i thought went well with the tiles on the fireplace! Cream Rug

( link above )

• PRO
    The Bulb Co
    7 anni fa

Hi Paul, not sure why you are having a decorating crisis as I echo everyones comments above and think it looks amazing! Think once you have found somewhere suitable for the TV it will look great as it does look out of place where it is now. Agree with Man about the House's comment about getting a rug as a nice cream one would work well in the middle of your room. Where did you get the chess pieces from as they are so unusual and would love to get some?

• Paul Hudson-Jones
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thank you for your comments, this has given me plenty of ideas to consider, and also reassured the decision to mix patterns. Totally agree that we need to add a rug, change the black tables and relocate the TV.

In answer to your questions the chess pieces are a year or so old and originally from homesense, and the check sofa is from DFS.

Will keep you informed of our progress :-)
  • monikadunns
    7 anni fa

It's a lovely sitting room and I love the fire place but the telly on the wall must go, it doesn't fit in the equation, it need to find it's own place. A lovely rug would complete the entire room. Get rid of the small coffee table becuase it is too small for that size room. I would put some colours into the soft furnishing to give it a lift, other that it is a lovely room.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    7 anni fa

You've done well with your mix of patterns and the warm wood floor. I have to agree with the other contributors that the huge TV screen dominates everything else.

Do all your seats need to be able to view the TV? If not, what about siting the screen over the large sofa on the wall opposite the fireplace and using the mirror over the mantle piece? You will be able to view the screen from the 2 seater sofa and the easy chair.

Alternatively, can you place the larger sofa across the room with it's back to the side wall and put the chair in the bay? The you can stretch out on the sofa to watch the TV over the 2 seater.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    7 anni fa

Sorry, I mistook a large grey sofa for a chair, so forget the rearrangement. However, the TV would still work better on the back wall.

Regarding the walls, if you want to introduce some colour, I wouldn't recommend blues unless there is some aqua in the plaid. Truer blues will make the room cold. If pale aqua works, you can introduce some aqua cushions to the grey sofas, mixed with pale blue ones.

The black furniture is quite sudden. Consider furniture that is either natural oak or navy blue. A large rug in either textures white or grey or one with a quiet mix of colours will bring some interest into the centre. A large glass coffee table will keep the space open and enable you to view the rug. https://www.modern-rugs.co.uk/product/capri-912905007-blue-rugs or https://www.modern-rugs.co.uk/product/krm01-blue-rugs

• PRO
    GHS Special Projects
    7 anni fa

Hi Paul

The room looks great. I would recommend situating the TV above to fireplace where possible so long as you are comfortable with the viewing angle. (I note that the TV is currently mount lower than the mantle piece) This would focus the eye to the centre of the room (which has been thrown out of balance as a result of the TV being mounted to one side.) The size and features on the fireplace will naturally stand out against the TV and disguise the actual size in comparison.

Low level storage units on either side of the fireplace to house the consoles would help focus the balance of the room on the fireplace.

• soozmacrae
    7 anni fa

Fantastic room with lovely pieces. Coffee table is too small though and a large rug would look good. Also reposition the tv its way too big and, sorry to say, I can see lots of wires coming from it, which spoils the look.

• lesley henderson
    7 anni fa

Your room is gorgeous, my faves are the tartan sofa and the geometric tiles. But I really do not like all those shiney silver accessories..it looks too contrived.

• Simki Noeman
    7 anni fa
    I think a small white fluffy rug and a glass table ll be fine .
  • PRO
    Strata Alex
    7 anni fa

I would recommend a "tailored" piece of furniture to incorporate the tv and -if the budget allows- the fireplace. The varying patterns are not a problem, since the coloring of the room and the patterns is pretty neutral. I would only change the coffee table, as you mentioned; to a larger and lighter in color, or two/three small ones closer to the seating.

• PRO
    Bright Space Design
    7 anni fa

Hi Paul, I like most of what AJ Styling has recommended.

Additionally, you need to create a clear, dominant focal point in the room and this would ideally start with the mirror above the fireplace. Also, the furniture/TV arrangement is the main thing you need to tackle.

Try the two matching sofas opposite each other and much nearer to the centre of the room, in a symmetrical arrangement with the fireplace. Without seeing a scaled plan it's hard to judge if these fit comfortably. (Avoid placing furniture all around the walls.) Consider buying a large rug.

The TV is already too high from what I can see so this can be moved to the opposite wall and placed lower so that it is viewed comfortably at eye level from a seated position.

Lighting is also a factor and a couple of table lamps would definitely benefit the space.

Sarah

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 anni fa

Thank you Bright Space,

Glad you like my suggestions.. : ))

• PRO
    RA design studio
    7 anni fa
    Hi Paul,

As an interior decorator I would say the main focus here would now be on your furniture not your pattern choices. I can see why you fell in love with the chair it's a charming piece!

I would recommend to change the tv unit and the coffee table to a more neural colour and slightly larger in width, also adding a focal rug to bind the room and bring it together. I can help if you get stuck as I'm offering my services for free for a limited time.

Good luck!
    Ria
  • Paul Hudson-Jones
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Working progress but looking better after some great advice.
  • PRO
    Sagiper North America
    7 anni fa
    Lovely living room you got there! Yes, i agree with putting a colourful rug and changing the coffee table to something lighter. Add in some coloured throw-pillows as well.
  • shelleyuk
    7 anni fa

I like the new rug but it should anchored under the feet of the sofas.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".