Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_tallon

Need help for my kitchen

I want to renovate my kitchen with new cupboard and worktop. However, I am limited by 2 factors:

1. I have a cream rangemaster oven, one like this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rangemaster+oven+cream+kitchens&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=828&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEvbW-m9LMAhULOSYKHZ9oCX0Q_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=rangemaster+oven+cream

2. There is not a great deal of natural light in my kitchen, its one of the darkest rooms in the house. Therefore, dark kitchen units and worktop would make it even worse.

I feel like all the pictures that I see with this oven are of a traditional farmhouse style kitchen, when i'd really rather try something a bit more modern and interesting.

We currently have cream work units and fake wood worktop with wooden floors.

I would love suggestions for flooring, kitchen units, tiles, wall paint colour and worktop surfaces: colours and also where to buy them from!

Thanks so much

Suzanne

Commenti (22)

• PRO
    DAZZ-LED Ltd
    7 anni fa

Hi Suzanne

To brighten up the kitchen worktops - how about some very bright under cabinet lighting - we have a new product call X-LINK which is easy to fit and very bright - see www.x-link.co.uk

For your ceiling lights - you can perhaps widen the beam angle and use brighter lamps - this will improve the lighting and even out some of the shadows as it does not look like you have a lot of downlights. We have a very bright 60 degree GU10 that you may want to consider.

Contact me if you need any help.

Good Luck.

Suzanne Tallon ha ringraziato DAZZ-LED Ltd
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Hello Suzanne,
    Yes I like arq-A interiors idea re Plain English and also look at deVOL. These are my favourites in terms of kitchens and it's quite easy to create the look.. I also think too that all elements re the cabinets should be one colour or perhaps two tone!
    Taking your green tiles I rather like the idea of a green colour here.. It would work very nicely with warm woods elsewhere in the kitchen/dining space. Consider painting the overhead cabinets all their woodwork to blend with the walls and the lower ones a green. I'm thinking sage colours and other lighter greens. Add some other green accents like wooden bowl with artichokes lovely looking, textural and taste good! For the table a lovely vase of huge green leaves..
    One other thing that will really transform is to clear the worktop of all but some chopping boards and the essentials like kettle and toaster. That way it opens the space and gives it breathing room. The same applies to the overhead cabinets which should be kept free of things above them.
    Nickel cup handles etc would also be a lovely hardware to compliment the style and my suggested colours.. Oh and what about the range master in an Olive or darker green! :))

Suzanne Tallon ha ringraziato Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

Just to add to all the ideas above, you could spray paint the rangemaster cooker to a more contemporary colour in line with the kitchen colour of your choice and make it blend in. Make sure that you buy a heat resistant paint. I think it's the cream that's making it 'countrified'. You can also buy stainless steel spray or chrome spray! This will immediately bring it into the 21st century and make working with the rest of the kitchen easier.

Suzanne Tallon ha ringraziato User
  • User
    7 anni fa
    Hi Suzanne, I think there are some simple ways to modernise your kitchen. Have you considered pale/soft grey doors? Shaker style would compliment the oven but in a grey tone would bring it up to date. The plinth should match the doors and black or chrome handles would make a huge difference. A black granite or porcelain worktop would also tie in with the oven and would instantly modernise the space. I agree with the comments above - declutter above and below the wall units and replace glass doors with solid ones. White metro tiles would look great, as would gloss white hexagon tiles (try wallsandfloors.co.uk). Best of luck - look forward to seeing a photo once you've finished!
    Suzanne Tallon ha ringraziato User
  • Suzanne Tallon
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks Sarah. where would you recommend getting the shaker style units from? Many thanks

• LTS
    7 anni fa
    DIY kitchens get great reviews on here & Mumsnet.
  • smartypantsnancy
    7 anni fa
    Also see story
    Revamped kitchen on a budget of a pot of paint
    We decided on a whim to take all the doors off and paint the More ›
    by ron_hyland197
  • PRO
    Modus Kitchens
    7 anni fa

Hi Suzanne,

We would agree with Arq-A Interiors Limited suggestions. Keep the colours neutral when choosing a colour for your kitchen cabinets. A plain door with a modern yet simple handle would go best, ie a simple bar handle. A metro tile has a very cool industrial yet homely feel to them. Also there are lots of Quartz countertops out there in varying colours which help modernise your kitchen space.

Some great advice from the Houzzers here, keep us up to date on how your project goes.

The team at Modus Kitchens

• New Kitchen
    7 anni fa
    HI

Re wall paint I have used Dulux light and Space now twice and am really convinced it reflects light. Even the decorators were impressed. A limited range of colours in the ready made with a few extra mixed. I am sticking with the range for my hall. Depending on budget consider some glass instead of tiles or even a Splash back. I have really lightened my kitchen with light units white Quartz tops and very pale ceramic floors that look like wood.
  • PRO
    Abbeywood Furniture Ltd
    7 anni fa

Hi Suzanne, we would suggest that there is too much wood in your kitchen - wood floor, wood counter top, wood door knobs. If you used a more contemporary door - like a handleless gloss door and a quartz/marble counter top and light colour floor tiles it would make a huge difference to your kitchen.

Abbeywood Furniture https://www.abbeywoodfurniture.com

• Suzanne Tallon
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thank you so much for your feedback. How much would a kitchen from abbeywood typically cost? Many thanks

• PRO
    Abbeywood Furniture Ltd
    7 anni fa

Hi Suzanne, Every kitchen is different, depending on size, materials etc. but in general a lot of our kitchens come in around €10-15K. If we can help you in any way please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Grace Bloggs
    7 anni fa
    There are kitchen companies that can replace the doors, plinths and end panels etc thus completely changing the colour of your kitchen but using existing units. One I know if is Dream doors which my neighbour used to go from dark wood to cream and I cannot tell they are the old units.

I like your kitchen, the layout seems good. I feel whats making it feel a bit dated is the amount of orangey pine or similar wood. Even changing the door knobs would help. If you wanted a greater change, a handleless slab kitchen in either a matching cream as the aga, or a grey might work? As an aside, changing the colour of the floor might help too.
  • PRO
    Surreal Designs Kitchen Studio
    7 anni fa

Hi Suzanne

if you want to brighten up your kitchen then apart from changing doors/windows, the best way to achieve this is with high gloss doors on your kitchen. they reflect light and even the darkets of high gloss doors can brighten up a room. luckily your rangemaster is a neutral colour so you should find it easy to get a complimentary colour.

also as someone mentioned above shiny quartz worktops will help or even better still the new gloss worktops by Dekton are incredible and have a reflective surface like nothing else.

best of luck

Barry

• PRO
    Sparrow & Blythe Kitchens
    7 anni fa
    Hi Suzanne,
    Don't know if you are still looking for your Shaker units, but we can supply these for you (and the cabinets, if you need them). We tend to use the range from Kitchen Stori, who have a few different Shaker styles. We can also help you out with your design. Get in touch....

Will post some example pictures later as I haven't uploaded them yet. To be continued!
    Kate
  • PRO
    Sterlingbuild
    7 anni fa

Hello Suzanne,

You mentioned your kitchen lacks natural light. If you can't fit any vertical or roof windows, you might want to consider a sun tunnel. Here's some information about these ingenious things.

If you can't run a sun tunnel from your roof to your kitchen, we sell Lightway sun tunnels that can be fitted into the wall, run along between your ceiling and floorboards and finish in the best part of your kitchen to spill daylight into your room.

Feel free to get in touch if you'd like to find out more about them,

Emma

• PRO
    7 anni fa
    Just another vote for sun tubes. I added two to my own kitchen and they really have transformed it! Good luck!
  • PRO
    7 anni fa

Hi again,

I have attached a 'brochure' picture showing one of the Shaker ranges that we use - this one is called Georgia.

This is one that we finalised last week - which you will see in my Profile pictures. This range is called Clonmel and has slightly more of a wood grain painted effect, and slightly chunkier styles and rails.

Traditional painted wood Shaker kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

Hope you like them!

Kate.

• PRO
    KW Kitchens
    7 anni fa

This is a useful tool for seeing how different colours look together http://www.bushboard.co.uk/studio/ and here is a link to a job we did 3 years ago https://www.kwkitchens.co.uk/work-done/2015/all/kitchen-cabinet-doors-and-panels-alsager-staffordshire/

There is a growing trend to use two or three colours in kitchens these- addresses to three kitchen manufacturers:

http://byba.co.uk/product-category/kitchen-doors/

http://www.sncollection.co.uk

http://ecf.co/doors-kitchen.php

• Suzi Cowan
    6 anni fa

I inherited a canary yellow rangemaster..... and had it painted! After 9 years it still looked lovely, even my decorator was unsure if it would stay, he thought it might crack - but no, it worked and believe me I did a lot of cooking on it! We painted it white and from memory it was an oil based gloss - no sanding down or anything - hope that helps. NB keep to the outside bits, not the inside! Good Luck

• PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory
    6 anni fa

Fabulous kitchen! Anyone else need the solid surface bath for your bathroom?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".