Houzz Logo Print
katatdish

Please advise! Should I paint some of my interior brick walls?

katatdish
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

We have just purchased a home with lots of wood and lots of interior brick. We haven't moved in yet.

While I love it, I think it needs some brightening and updating. I don't want to paint the wood ceilings, but I was thinking that I could paint some of the brick walls white, to lighten the great room (or I could do more of a whitewash). I thought that I would leave the fireplace brick as is.

Please advise! I keep going back and forth. Thanks!

(Pics are taken in different cameras and different lighting that shows the variations of brightness throughout the day)

Kitchen wall has been knocked down. What about that brick?

Commenti (122)

• Nicole S
    7 anni fa
    Your house is so cool but that interior wall with the circle is bizarre. If it's not load bearing I would knock it down. Reminds of when stuntmen jump through burning hoops.
  • lefty47
    7 anni fa

HI -- Thank you so much for the exterior photos . Trouble is now the comments are coming to fix the door and do this and do that ... sorry . I love the exterior and I think this is a very special house . Have you looked into the history and maybe who designed it ? This just convinces me even more about being very care full what is done to it .

• potter99
    7 anni fa
    I appreciate the distinct architectural statements of your stunning home. I don't think it is too dark - but both the wood and brick tones have would have changed with age. The wood warm gold/ amber tone was likely originally a lighter cooler blonde. The brick has likely faded to the more dusty plummy brown. One element has deepened the other lightened so the complementary aspect has shifted- perhaps to the point of clashing? I'd suggest cleaning the brick maybe use a sealer that would add back the lost depth.
  • lynartist
    7 anni fa
    Am I the only one here who thinks these brick walls have already been washed with a thin layer of white paint? While you are all saying how beautiful the brick is I'm looking at how uneven the paint job was!
  • lynartist
    7 anni fa
    I would paint the brick because it already has been. This color now looks terrible with the wood ceiling. The floors ; while I can appreciate the historical significance of them, who could live with all that crazy directional pattern. Sand them down and restrain them so you can truly enjoy the architectural beauty of this home ; making it serene instead of agitating.
  • luvourhome
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

@Katatdish. Love the door! Sorry, the front detail didn't show up easily on the first picture. It just looked bland from inside. ;-)

@RustyEmpire--who generally decides what a heritage home is? The owner? City? State?

I don't see it as a heritage home in the usual sense. Unique? Yes. Heritage? No.

@Lynn. I'm amazed at what you pick-up on your screen! Painted brick? Wow. I agree about the floors. Busy, busy...make a me dizzy...

The more I look at the pictures, again and again, the more I'd be tweaking the place. It's too dark. I could live with the brick outside, but I'd be drywalling the inside now and paint it a nice blue. Heck with the brick, lol. It would feel like a dungeon I think.

• Joy
    7 anni fa
    So, I am adding my 2 cents in. Beautiful, unique home. I would finish my kitchen, place my furniture, rugs, art into the house and live with it for a year. :-) Renovating a home of this significance to a period in time should be done slowly, thoughtfully. Kitchen was a great idea, as we know not all designs and design elements were functional or pleasing when enacted those many years ago. Painting the brick is only an aesthetic, and an extremely if not impossible one to change in the future.
    katatdish ha ringraziato Joy
  • luvourhome
    7 anni fa

@Tatts. She knows about the brick and paint. If you look at her file, that's what she did with a previous home.

Hmmm..Katatdish...lemme guess...you're a flipper! How many are on your crew? ;-)

• Maureen
    7 anni fa

I would paint the far wall (for something less permanent, you could add dry wall and down the road, you or the next owner could easily remove) and I don't feel the integrity of the space will be affected but enhanced, becoming a more dimensional room. Once you add a large piece of vibrant modern art, this wall will be lovely - if the brick was nicer, I would leave it alone, but it feels more like plain brick that is used on the outside of a home. I would also be sure to paint any visual walls the same white so there is a nice flow - ie: hallway. Your ideabook picture of the white wall with baskets is just lovely.

katatdish ha ringraziato Maureen
  • Dell Ann Melvin
    7 anni fa
    I kinda like it....you could really have an industrial look. Maybe consider some skylights.
    katatdish ha ringraziato Dell Ann Melvin
  • Jan
    7 anni fa
    My 2 cents...don't paint the brick. Key here is the furniture you will use. It's got to be modern and have clean lines, nothing in bright white. Maybe off white, cream something or leather. I do have a problem with the floors, first use some area rugs, after a while you can replace....it's just too busy. And not fond of cabinet in corner way to busy. Use large art over fireplace.
    katatdish ha ringraziato Jan
  • Darzy
    7 anni fa

I like the circle in the DR and the circle window is a wonderful architectural feature. The front door is fabulous. The more I see the house (and now the exterior) I am reconsidering my suggestion painting just the two LR walls. Large artwork may give the eyes a brick break visually :) Perhaps you could commission an artist for art you love that is worthy of the house for those brick walls.

katatdish ha ringraziato Darzy
  • User
    7 anni fa

I like most other commenters am falling more in love with the house with every new image. I earlier advocated waiting to get a better feel for how the house lives. Now I would say "absolutely no" to painting the brick. I envision large Middle Eastern rugs on the walls to soften and break up the brick. Unlike some who are saying white furniture, I would amp up the colors and bring a strong boho vibe to contrast with all the angles and sharp edges. I think the immediate reaction is to go minimal and very MCM but I think that could easily go extremely cold. The "bones" of this house are so wonderfully strong that they can stand up to more than the minimalist approach and, to me, need more to gain a cozier, more family-friendly space. I can completely see why you fell so in love with it.

katatdish ha ringraziato User
  • luvourhome
    7 anni fa

@katatdish. How about hanging some really interesting pieces from the ceiling? Airplanes would be great! The model kind, but large enough for impact. Several feet across in width each...

• User
    7 anni fa

A Calder mobile, or a knock off in a primary color.

• Natalie
    7 anni fa

After looking at the drop cloths at the base of the kitchen wall, I think refinishing the floors in a lighter hue would look beautiful with the ceiling and brick walls and make the space seem more open and bright...

Some inspiration. :))

katatdish ha ringraziato Natalie
  • Rusty Empire
    7 anni fa

Loveourhome: re classification of a heritage designated property - it's my understanding that in the states an individual or group can apply to have a property classified but it usually starts at the state level. 50 years is the usual minimum (but that seems like a fluid number). (Some reading is attached below). I own a nationally listed property - one needs to be very aware that one key guideline is how much the property has been altered from its original state. (There are even grants to apply for to help get a property back to its original state). The designation itself carries some distinction (you can get a pretty plaque made for the home!) but of key interest is the potential for tax breaks for the home. Best to read more for current details both at state and federal levels.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/national_register_fundamentals.htm#start

• luvourhome
    7 anni fa

@RustyEmpire. Thank-you so much! It was interesting reading. I have travelled in the US quite a bit and have run across homes with plaques, but wasn't aware of all it entailed.

Canada also a process of some sort. Here in BC though, I have only recalled seeing traditional character homes/Victorian style, etc. or those affiliated with the railroad construction.

Speaking of railroad construction and wonders of architecture, google the construction of the Othello Tunnels through the Coqhuilla Canyon near Hope, BC. That's some amazing building!! And to see them in person is breath-taking. The fellow that built them loved Shakespeare. Each tunnel and rail-stop was named after characters. Awesome history!

Thanks again. I'm going to look into registries more here. Vancouver has some beautiful character homes that have been re-done well.

Cheers!

• katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Nicole, your reply cracked me up! It is a bit Evil Knievel!

• katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Lefty47, I keep researching the designer and architect...it's so interesting!

Potter99, you're right about what the colors used to be. You can see where the original owners laid rugs or hung artwork. The colors of the floor and walls are much richer in those spots.

There are so many great thoughts and comments...thanks everyone! Really lovely ideas and advice, thank you!

• katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

PS. Whynottryit, I love the idea of creating more of a bohemian vibe in our new space. I have a similar flavor going already at our old house.

i wasn't sure right away if it would work in our new home, but over the last couple of months I'm really feeling and envisioning it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• User
    7 anni fa

You're very welcome! I can't wait to see where you end up! Such an exciting home!

• Darzy
    7 anni fa

I found a photo with painted brick along side non-painted brick for a visual for you. I'm so torn because I love the home as is but do think the brick is just too much. Maybe you could cover the brick on the left/right of the FP without damaging the brick in case you want to go back to all brick? I think the "steward of the home" may feel a bit guilty but the homeowner would love a bit less brick and lightening up!

Chelsea Loft · Maggiori informazioni

• luvourhome
    7 anni fa

@Darzy. Nice floors! Those would be less busy to look at. The wood is all going the same direction and the stain is even-toned.

• Darzy
    7 anni fa

luvourhome...I love katatish's floor as is. Gorgeous. I do think it's a bit busy all walls brick and the wood ceiling with the amazing floor, which is why I'm torn about covering or painting two brick walls or leave them alone and display large art. Painting (or covering) the two brick walls in the LR will tone down the busyness yet keep the beautiful elements in the room in tact. Katatish...whatever you decide we all can't wait to see your progress. :)

• User
    7 anni fa

I would leave everything as is until you get your furniture and accessories into the room. Unlike the room Darzy posted, you're not dealing with red brick so that's a plus. Right now the only focus in the room is the "foundation" of the room. I truly believe once there are other pieces to draw the eye, that those walls and floors will take their intended place as a supporting cast to the stars of the room that you bring in.

To me, it's a bit unfair of us to judge the room in its current state. I say that because I am still making changes to my home and every addition makes an enormous difference. I have nowhere close to the magnificent start you have so I have no doubts that when you bring your personality into those already amazing rooms, you will fall in love even more.

• susiesworld
    7 anni fa
    PAINT THAT BRICK!
  • katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks Darzy!

Thanks all!

This conversation has helped me make decisions that I feel really excited and good about.

I've always loved the look of painted brick. Our home that we live in now has a white painted brick fireplace and wall. We also painted the exterior brick about five years ago.

While I seriously entertained the idea of lightening my new home's surroundings, we're going to hold off and live in it for a time. I feel so good and much happier having made that decision! We are going to settle in and make it our home with our belongings. I am going to create brightness without painting walls. We have a lot of light colored area rugs that will help bounce light. I am going to create a piece of artwork for the far wall after we move in. I enjoy painting so it will be a fun project. I've done quite a few pieces for our current home. I'll be hanging those as well. Plus, our current LR has gray walls and hardwood floors and I love the look with all of the colorful, abstract canvases on the walls. After all of my brainstorming, it's a no-brainer ;).

In time, maybe I'll change my mind and want to paint the two walls in the LR. It's very possible! But it isn't going to happen now. I was so back and forth, which is a terrible time to make a big decision. So I'm holding off. I cancelled with the painter when I woke up on Friday.

I'll send some progress reports as we settle in...thanks all! You have been a huge help! I really enjoyed this.

• katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Soooo true, whynottryit! I love what you said. Amen!

• User
    7 anni fa

I am so glad you have a plan now! That does help a lot! Great decision and look forward to seeing your progress.

• tatts
    7 anni fa

Whew! That was a close one!

• lynartist
    7 anni fa
    I would have preferred it if this was a red brick! Still think this has a white wash on it and would just finish the job.
  • luvourhome
    7 anni fa

@Darzy. I love the floors also, to a point. I think the novelty of that floor would wear off very quickly for me. I'm just not crazy about all 3 elements together--the floors, the brick, and the wood ceilings. It's a tough call which element to change. There are pros and cons to changing any of them.

A person could go so many different directions and still come out on top. It would look great with a washed brick all throughout, or a couple of walls painted only. Or it would look good drywalling all but a feature wall of brick and/or the fireplace.

A few more possible options that I didn't list with the floors, etc. I basically think it will have to be one element taking centre stage in the home.

@katatdish--I was teasing about the flipper joke, btw. I just saw your other switch-outs with your brick painting and yard (nice btw!) and was teasing about the guys working on your "crew" in the pics.

Happy renovating :-)

Onto a new thread--looking for one about very small or tiny homes suitable for a disabled person I know.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 anni fa

Have you made any changes?

• PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    7 anni fa

The wood is beautiful! I wouldn't touch it.

The bricks do feel a little too much. I would leave only one wall with the natural stone color, and paint the other walls in white or build a sheet rock wall to cover the other brick wall, and whenever you change your mind you can nock off this wall.

Bellow I've attached pictures from a client house, who designed the house with one light brick wall in each space and it came out beautiful.

Galilee Lighting -modern lighting pendants "Rain drops" · Maggiori informazioni

Galilee Lighting -Unique lighting - The Cubes of art · Maggiori informazioni

katatdish ha ringraziato Galilee Lighting
  • katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Home Interiors with Ease...no changes yet...

Thank you for the pics, Galilee Lighting!

• tqtqtbw
    7 anni fa

You could sheetrock over some of the brick. That way you or the next owner have the option to take it back to the original look.

• katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Hi all!

i just wanted to check back in and give an update.

We chose not to paint the brick and we love, love, love it!

Thanks to all for your thoughts and encouragement!

• User
    7 anni fa

Well done. The 1970s are back in , and you're ahead of the game.

• Darzy
    7 anni fa

I hope so. I miss bell bottoms. :)

• robin701
    7 anni fa

Will these do Darzy? I realize they're not quite "hip huggers"....... :)

• asquithoatley
    7 anni fa

Love it , so glad you did not bland out your home buy painting the brick.

katatdish ha ringraziato asquithoatley
  • User
    7 anni fa

• Darzy
    7 anni fa

Groovy bell bottoms!

• User
    7 anni fa

I am so glad you decided to leave the home the way the architect intended. Your choices to enhance those features have just made your home that much more spectacular. Beautiful home and I hope you and your family will be happy for many years to come. You must thrilled and very proud!

• Nicole S
    7 anni fa

Love the way you're decorating it! Looks great!!!

katatdish ha ringraziato Nicole S
  • katatdish
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Thanks Nicole, Darzy and whynottryit! I remember all of your help when I first posted :).

Any thoughts on my latest post by chance?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fence-stain-for-contemporary-mcm-style-home-dsvw-vd~4205059

• kathleen MK
    7 anni fa
    Let's do retro right and fix those busy floors with wall to wall avocado green shag carpet. lol
    seriously I agree that living in a house for a while to see how light changes and the space functions is a good idea. However this is so busy that I would be very tempted to just start slapping on the white paint. I could see a warm white wash over the ceilings and walls. plain rugs and good lighting could be all you need but you need to live there a bit to know.
  • User
    7 anni fa

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".