Houzz Logo Print
ghesp

Designing our garden - what to do

ghesp
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

I'm usually fairly good with designing layouts and coming up with ideas, however I am somewhat stumped what to do with our garden.

As is stands, the grass is mostly moss and needs returfing. The Silver Birches and Beech need to go and the decking needs replacing as it is rotten (looking for smooth decking).

We both quite like modern gardens, and we're not really gardeners so hardly plants with raised flower beds etc are on our minds.

Unfortunately, we're limited by budget, but this is only for materials as the labour will be done ourselves. We have an outdoor plug and there is already a switch in the kitchen to power outdoor lighting. In addition, I think replacing the fencing is out of the question as it is too costly - I'm tempted to put trellis in front of it, along with bamboo and uplighters, but I'm afraid that the fence will ruin the appearance of it.

Has anyone got any suggestions are to layout, design elements etc. I do quite like water features too that are incorporated into the landscape.

Dimensions

The garden itself is almost a square, it comes in a 9m wide by 8.9 deep. The bit behind the outside room is roughly 3.5m wide by 2m deep.

Sunlight

These photos were taken at 10am in April. In the summer, the sun moves left to right across the read of the garden, setting somewhere behind the bushes behind the garage.

In the winter, the sun moves more along the left side of the garden

Planting

Personally I like the more hardy tropical plants like bamboo, palm etc. The plant growing across the back of the house is a Wisteria. Whilst not my favourite plant due to mess it makes, i

Commenti (12)

• PRO
    Elite Outdoor Living
    8 anni fa

Hello, looks like a beautiful space and definitely worth taking your time in thinking about a design layout making sure to use it well. Some of our completed work may provide some inspiration for composite decking and garden balustrades. At least with our composite decking you won't after worry about it rotting in a few years time which would be a bonus.

• PRO
    Mark Lane Designs
    8 anni fa

This is a garden I did for a client, where they too wanted a tropical feel. This was a costly project, but it might give you some ideas, as well. Best Mark

• ghesp
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

We live up north in Cheshire, so not down South sadly. The garden does currently have a lot of moss, however we've cut back a lot of the trees and removed some now, and we're getting a lot more light into the garden.
    I suspect the Silver Birches aren't helping matters either, however we'd like to keep the one on the left.

I'm not sure what's currently below the decking as it was there when we bought the house. My initial assumption would be not much, and whatever it is hasn't been done right. I wouldn't be surprised if its sat on the floor..

I quite like grass and I'm fine with mowing it. When I mentioned low maintenance, it's more targeted at having to prune flowers back etc.

I quite like this style - low maintenance, tropical plants, 'hidden' water feature. I know thats in Sydney so the weather there helps, but you get the idea:

Urban Movement · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Mark Lane Designs
    8 anni fa

What a great picture, and a design that could easily be adjusted for your site, in terms of both hard landscaping and soft landscaping for a Cheshire site. The elements of slabs, wooden boards, rendered walls, low hidden water feature and lush low-maintenance planting can be achieved on a small budget. Water features surprisingly cost quite a bit, even a simple rill such as in the picture with small bubbling jets and lighting. To keep the cost down, you could look for concrete slabs, and use a softer wood and then stain it to the colour you want, rather than going for an expensive Iroko wooden board. Of course, once you start staining you will need a regular care schedule of cleaning it and re-staining it. Perhaps if the budget will allow, you could spend more on say composite decking boards and a stylish piece of furniture, and then use cheaper products elsewhere. A good Internet search will reveal some great products, but don't get carried away. Stick to your idea of how the garden should look and be strict with yourself. Failing that, appoint a garden designer. Regards Mark

• PRO
    IQ Outdoor Living
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

You could integrate a patio roof or garden roof into your new design - it will help you enjoy your garden for more of the year.

Kingsland Road · Maggiori informazioni

Automated louvres mean that the space can be bathed in sun when it is nice but when it is raining you can turn the louvres flat, which interlocking creating a fully watertight patio roof.

Little Lane · Maggiori informazioni

There are lots of design options and you can also integrate things like heating and lighting into the roofs.

Let me know if you have any questions

Rebecca

www.umbris.uk

• PRO
    Kate Gould Gardens
    7 anni fa

The best gardens are always planned carefully before any work begins. Make a list of what you plan to do in the garden. Do you want to entertain outdoors in which case think patio / deck area for table and chairs etc, do you have young children to consider (think play areas), do you want to grow any fruit and veg? If you start by listing the essentials then you can plan your hard landscaping and take it from there. You will choose your planting very much based on the aspect of the beds once the paths and patio etc has been built. You could always have a quick look at some of our Projects for inspiration on different styles of garden as well.

ghesp ha ringraziato Kate Gould Gardens
  • ghesp
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

We're constricted by budget, however i'll be doing all the labour ourselves.

I've since jet washed the fence which has brought it back to its natural state, so will be looking to recoat it with a new colour.

I'd like to re-lay the patio, however cost may prohibit this.

So far Ive managed to whip up a rough idea in Sketchup

• magdalena korvin ECLUSIER LONDON DESIGN
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

I am in the middle of building decking and repairing existing paving area.I am also facing the budget problem. I minimised the cost of decking by using DIY pallets as the under structure. This is also make the rest of the work much easier. The old paving....I just left the best slabs to create some motive on the concrete coating with added colour. I am doing all work by myself. It is not complicated at all if you have the rubber shaping tool(you can buy it on line for approx £14.) Now I am off to continue my garden work.. I should upload the pictures in a couple of days since I am also using old fence boards to build plant pots and bench :-) Good luck with your garden !

• Elliott Cook
    7 anni fa

How is your garden looking? Want to tell us about it? Currently casting for a brand new property show.

• magdalena korvin ECLUSIER LONDON DESIGN
    7 anni fa

That sound interesting! I am working on my garden (and all house in fact)at the moment with plans for a extension in the future. Right now it is a very low budget but a very creative project indeed!

• John Pearson
    3 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 anni fa

Wow, your ideas are really cool guys! When I was decorating my garden, it took me a long time to find the perfect decorations. I looked for ideas on various forums, but even after ten forums I did not find anything that I would like :(. I really didn’t know what to do, so I decided to first find things that I would decorate my garden with, and then I would come up with everything else. And so it happened! On the advice of my friend, I bought a lot of garden decorations from mayfield-market.com. Also in the local ikea, I bought several benches, as well as wiring in order to power the light bulbs, which I was decorating trees and it ended up being very cool, I think.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".