Houzz Logo Print
ben_shafer

Stain or Paint New Poplar Railing?

Ben Shafer
8 anni fa

Hello all,

I just got a brand new interior railing installed in my house. the railing is all poplar and I am torn between painting or staining it. The color of the railing will be ebony. Are there any pros and cons to either? My preference is stain but not sure if the poplar would look good stained as it doesn't have the most flattering grain unlike my red oak floors. Still in the middle of renovations so the risers will be painted white along with the bottom runner. I think a black runner would be too much especially since my interior doors will be black once installed.

Commenti (29)

• raineycarole
    8 anni fa
    Stain it to match the floors, if you can.
  • User
    8 anni fa

Poplar is paint grade wood. Blotchy as all get out when stained.

• L W
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Agree with raineycarole. Especially if you are having a professional do it for you.

• User
    8 anni fa

Poplar doesn't stain well. It won't take the stain evenly. I would paint it white.

• Ben Shafer
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thank you for the responses , that's what I was afraid of with the poplar. I will paint it instead of staining. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 anni fa
    Stain. Stain stain stain. I have ebony stained oak floors (almost black) with the same stain used on the poplar handrail. No one has noticed it's not the same wood. Paint feels gross on a handrail- always sticky.
  • PRO
    O'Guin Decorative Finishes
    8 anni fa
    If it's going to be ebony you can probably stain it. It will probably take at least two or three coats to get the deep coloration. First coat will likely be blotchy as mentioned. you might even use some color in the clear topcoat, but in the end it will look deeper and richer than solid paint. Stain and Seal Ebony by Faux Effects is a great solution over any wood, kind of a combo between stain and topcoat, lots of body.
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Here's a before and after recently done on Houzz. She could not remove carpet so bottom step was painted to match the others.

• Ben Shafer
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thanks for the tips! Your right I really would like the railing to feel like wood rather than paint.
  • Ben Shafer
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Decoenthusieste is that handrail painted of stained?
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

She mentioned stain and paint, so I'm not sure. You can read through the post and see what you think. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-with-stain-color-for-banister-rails-dsvw-vd~3604777

• Armando o
    8 anni fa
    stain it. poplar wood shouldn't be an excuse not to stain it. especially for a professional woodfinisher.
  • L W
    8 anni fa

Paint is not sticky! SW paint cleans well. But for you I think stain.

• User
    8 anni fa

You're overestimating the miracle working powers of a ''professional woodfinisher''. LOL! If someone wanted it stained, stain grade materials should have been specified in the contract. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken $#!¶.

• Ben Shafer
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

That looks great thanks! I would really like to keep the wood grain look and that looks awesome.

• PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    8 anni fa

Stain. I have stained poplar and it's fine.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 anni fa

My handrails look great, that said I stained them and finished them myself (in my previous life I studied furniture design)

• anniebird
    8 anni fa
    I disagree with the "paint is not sticky" comment too - maybe not at first, but give it a year or two. Paint + skin oil + whatever is on all those hands = sticky.
  • Bette P
    8 anni fa
    You can buy a can of wood conditioner to apply before the stain, MINWAX makes one. Helps the stain go on evenly.
  • blue gold Staiger
    8 anni fa
    We have poplar baseboards and built ins. I was also concerned about the way poplar takes stain. I had several sample boards, with and without conditioners. Finally came across the Zar brand of stain. Well worth the cost and time in locating it! The poplar takes this stain evenly, no blotching, no conditioner needed and came out beautifully!
  • leelee
    8 anni fa

First try staining. You can paint over stain but you cannot stain over paint.

• Ben Shafer
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Yeah I was thinking the same Leelee

• PRO
    DeJongh Real Estate
    5 anni fa

Anniebird what brand and color of stain did you use on that handrail? very nice!

• anniebird
    5 anni fa
    I wish I knew:). It was done by a professional painter.
  • Natasha P
    5 anni fa

I agree with Sophie! Paint in this case. Poplar does not stain well!

• sarayale
    5 anni fa

For the person who used ZAR--do you remember which product you used? I see they have several. I have to stain the edges of the treads (middle has carpet) and they are poplar. Thanks.

• PRO
    None
    5 anni fa
    Poplar stains fine, just should have been stained and at least two coats of poly before assembling.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".