Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_30797277

Kitchen, face-lift

User
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

Hello!

I'd like to change the style of our Kitchen, something more modern and contemporary so it's less traditional. Our tastes have changed since it was fitting some years back...

Without spending a fortune I was thinking to replace the green tiles, curtains and shelves in exchange for whites, grey, silver... The kitchen is Shaker style so a mix of new and old is fixed but making it more modern could work?

Thanks for your help! :) Leo.

Commenti (7)

• User
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Uploaded from IOS computer wouldn't work
  • Clare Jones
    8 anni fa

Hello Leo, I agree silvers and whites would go well as it would bounce light around, I would use grey in moderation as it could make the space darker if you don't get it right. With a kitchen refresh it depends on what your budget is; do you want new kitchen doors or would you have a go at painting them? Replacing the door handles with something more contemporary/industrial is a quick fix that will update the units. I would be careful when removing tiles as it could cause damage depending on the quality of the walls, but if you go down that route a splashback or upstand would look good there; there are lots of places online that can make these to your desired specification. I would definitely replace the blind with something more industrial such as coloured metal venetrian blind. I would remove the wooden shelving and replace with open metal ones instead. Does the unit left of the door have an open frontage? I think I see a basket sticking out? if so you could add some doors or if you were to paint the carcass I am sure that would be enough to update them. Have a look at updating the lighting as the kitchen looks dark, & unless you are a qualified electrician, this might take up a fair bit of your budget if electrical work is needed. Lastly, you might want to look at updating the worktops for something more urban.

These are only some of my thoughts to get the ball rolling, i am sure others will chip in. One final thing, I would paint the walls white, that will give an instant boost to the room. Take your time and do your research before you start and have fun!

User ha ringraziato Clare Jones
  • User
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Great comments thank you!

@clarejones Yes there are baskets, all very traditional. The plan is to fit a slim line dishwasher on the other side, free standing sliver front same as fridge. This would replace the baskets with the cupboard.

Budget wise there isn't much to work with especially as the kitchen is only a new years old. Painting the walls sounds like a good idea, door handles, tiles and other accessories. Lighting was the big mistake at first fix, didn't consider the impact. It's fixable to upgrade especially if we're going to re-paint.

I'm a bit against replacing the counter top, it was expensive and the hours of sanding and varnish! its a love hate relationship...

Thanks for all the comments! Xxxx

• PRO
    Kharis & Kale Interiors
    8 anni fa

I would suggest paint the units in a grey either mid tone or go for really dark and then replace the handles for bright chrome knobs. There are not many tiles so replace them for a light grey metro tile. This will not be an expensive job as the tiles will be about £12 to £15 sq m and you should be able to get a tiler to do for around £28 sq m. Replace the blind with either a matching grey or a contrasting colour depending what shade units you go for. If you have baskets you can always spray these the same colour as the units so that they don't stand out. here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea.

• User
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Now that's cool, I didn't really consider painting the cupboards but in light grey that totally works. Great photo ideas. Thank you!

So... I'm thinking we might need to replace the floor tiles too, maybe with wood effect porcelain... that might be a big job
  • PRO
    Metal Monkey Designs
    7 anni fa

Why not have them professionally re-sprayed then the doors look like new, and can be cleaned with household cleaners, the paint is sealed in with a matt or gloss clear coat and will withstands all kitchen incidents/ accidents. We offer a removal, paint and refit service if required, or just repaint if you can drop them off

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".