Houzz Logo Print
jillmhirsh

Wood floors

Jill Hirsh
8 anni fa

Building a semi custom home in arizona. I want wood floors in most of house expect bathrooms and laundry in white and grey marble. My style is transional with all white and grey kitchen white furniture, What wood would work well? I do not like red but medium dark brown. Also do not want to pay more than 4 dollars a sq. Ft. Any suggestions?

Commenti (5)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

At that price point your choices for wood will be limited at least where I live the average is 7.00 you will probably end up with stuff from a big box store mainly from China it would not be my choice for a new home. Go to some flooring stores and take samples of anything you have take the pieces outside to see what they look like together.

Jill Hirsh ha ringraziato Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jill Hirsh
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Would I be better off with a pergo? I want a rich look but my budget is limited

• PRO
    Heritage Carpet & Flooring
    8 anni fa

Take a look at Balterio Laminates. They are high dense core and approved for wet areas like kitchens, baths. Great imaging on them. Very realistic. Balterio

Jill Hirsh ha ringraziato Heritage Carpet & Flooring
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

I agree a good quality laminate before a poor quality wood floor.I have laminate from Germany that I loved in my old house it looked very rich

Jill Hirsh ha ringraziato Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 anni fa

Your budget is FAR TOO LIMITED for wood in Arizona. The climate in AZ is harsh on wood. A "nice" engineered hardwood STARTS at $7/sf. The "nicer" the wood floor the better able it is to deal with harsh climates. A high end laminate (and $4/sf is the UPPER END of laminate quality) will sever you better in Arizona. Vinyl or tile would serve you better in Arizona.

Arizona has such a harsh climate (wood floors are notorious to keep healthy and happy in Arizona). You would be very upset to find the "low end" engineered hardwood "dry cups" in your climate. No warranty to cover you. No wood flooring store to help you find replacement. You would be stuck with a hardwood that is both useless and expensive to replace. You would be doing it all over again in 1-2 years. That's what I call expensive.

Check your HVAC unit. If you want wood (today or in 10 years from now...I don't care which) you MUST HAVE HUMIDITY control! And I mean PIN-POINT ACCURATE (touch of a button) CONTROL. It MUST HAVE a humidistat added and a humidifier added. Hardwood MUST HAVE 45% - 60% humidity. Arizona has 10% humidity or lower. Even A/C does not add enough humidity into the air to be "enough" to satisfy wood.

I would PAY FOR the HVAC upgrade TODAY (spend a few thousand more on the HVAC) and purchase a mid-grade laminate. In 10 years you can go ahead and purchase the wood floor of your dreams. The HVAC will be ready for it.

Jill Hirsh ha ringraziato Cancork Floor Inc.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".