Houzz Logo Print
tanegan

Bay window dressing, shutters or blinds??

tanegan
8 anni fa

We have large 1930's windows with 5 panes in each. I am concerned that shutters may block the light. I know they will look great but I am also concerned that they may feel "closed in", the 5 panes may look too much? They are so fashionable now, but am still unsure. An alternative I'm thinking of are wide white venetians blinds fitted as then we would have more light and access to the window???? Thank you for any advice.

Commenti (11)

• tanegan
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

It's a South facing room. We have a lot of light, but I'm concerned with the 5 plain windows it would darken the room? Thanks.

• minnie101
    8 anni fa

Hi. You can get shutters with wide slats that will let in really quite a bit of light. Or go for cafe shutters for privacy with dress curtains. I can't save pics but Google shutters with wide slats

• tanegan
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Ok. Thank you.

• tanegan
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I am just concerned that with it being 5 windows there will be a framework in between. Would they feel closed in?

• minnie101
    8 anni fa

I think they look nice and not closed in. Google bay window with shutters and hit images and see what you think as there are lots that come up. Btw please ignore the word "dress" if you went for cafe shutters..if you're not sure you could go for Romans and also curtains if wanted but obviously the Romans would also block a little light

• PRO
    Absolute Plantation Shutters
    7 anni fa

Shutters don't block out as much light as you think. Possible upto circa 15%. More than that you get to control the light which enters the room which can actually have the effect of increasing the light in different areas of the room. You may find this article on of interest on how window shutters effect light control by clicking here: Window Shutters

• PRO
    BBS Shutter Co.
    7 anni fa

Light and window access...the most common concerns exhibited by 99.9% of our customers!! The vast majority of them go on to say that their new shutters do not block out anywhere near as much light as they anticipated and window access is not a problem! Many customers also feel that their rooms look bigger as a result.

You mentioned that "you know they will look great" and that they are very fashionable...sounds to me like your answer lies within your question. :)

Plantation shutters are also the only window treatment that adds value to your home...something else to consider when making your decision!!

Best of luck! If you're based in South West London or Surrey we would be more than happy to provide a free consultation and quote.

www.bbs-shutter.co.uk

• PRO
    Diamond Shutters
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

window shuttersOur pure white shutters let in more light than most people think ,i have attached some pictures for you, many thanks Kevin Diamond Shutters

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    7 anni fa

Hi there, we think wood venetian blinds can look just as great as shutters without the hefty price tag. Take a look at some of these photos, where we installed white wood venetian blinds to bay windows. Wood venetians take up less space and you can have full control of the light. You might like to also bare in mind the delivery and installation time of shutters vs blinds. We can make made to measure blinds in just 7 days whereas shutters generally take at least 6 weeks. Please feel free to browse our gallery page for more photos of wood venetians in bay windows and let us know if we can be of any help.

• PRO
    The Shutter Shop
    4 anni fa

We think that shutters fit better to bay windows, and give you more flexibility when it comes to controlling the light.

Bay window shutters · Maggiori informazioni

Cafe style shutters are also a great solution for bay windows.

For a more comprehensive comparison between shutters or blinds: https://www.shuttershop.co.uk/blogs/news/shutters-or-blinds-how-to-decide

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".