Houzz Logo Print
duncan_hillman

invisible lighting behind built in shelves

I've been asked to build some bespoke box shelving for a friend and whilst discussing it with him used Mondrian as a reference for the design. Afterwards it occurred to me that the shelves could be stood off the back wall a small distance and the space behind illuminated, with coloured panels painted on the wall behind a couple of the box spaces to create the Mondrian effect. However, as the shelves are to be built in place the access to the space at the back will be very restricted so if the lights were ever to fail (i was thinking a strip of LEDs on tape) then it would be hard to replace them. Any ideas for easy maintenance of a system like this?

Commenti (11)

• PRO
    Hillman Gardens
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

This is what I was thinking. How long do you reckon the LED light strip would last?

• PRO
    Inglish Design
    8 anni fa

It should last very well as long as you buy decent quality. We installed some around 5 years ago, and touch wood not complaints yet !!!!

Hillman Gardens ha ringraziato Inglish Design
  • PRO
    Hillman Gardens
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Nice! Cheers for the response :)

• PRO
    Freebird Interiors
    8 anni fa
    Inglish Design do you use the Hafele loox plug and play system? We use it for convenience and I think it is good quality bit I sometimes wonder if I am paying too much. We most often use the '2012' led strip in warm white.
    Hillman Gardens ha ringraziato Freebird Interiors
  • PRO
    Freebird Interiors
    8 anni fa

Hillman Gardens there is a type of LED light strip that comes in slim rigid 300mm sections and clips into mounting brackets. I'm sure I used one from Hafele but can't find it. This might allay your concerns about removal and replacement, though it would require extra space to the wall. It's like this one from Toolstation:

Hillman Gardens ha ringraziato Freebird Interiors
  • PRO
    Inglish Design
    8 anni fa

Yes QDS we currently use this, but we are always looking for new lighting options - we will be checking things out at KBB this weekend, so will see if there is anything new out there !!

• PRO
    Hillman Gardens
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Shelves in progress!
  • PRO
    Hillman Gardens
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Finished, ready for a lick of paint
  • PRO
    Freebird Interiors
    8 anni fa
    Looks good! Interesting method. What section timber framing do you use and what thickness of mdf for cladding? Much glue? Do you fill the joints before painting?
  • PRO
    Hillman Gardens
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thanks! I used a 45mm square section for the frame, 18mm for the front face and 6mm for the rest. On reflection I would have used planed wood for the backbone and maybe even mitred all the MDF joints for a seamless finish. As it is, a couple of the joints will need a touch of filler before its all painted, which bothers me more than it should because I'm a perfectionist!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".