Houzz Logo Print
mprb

Picture over toilet

Martha B
8 anni fa
I love the colors in this pic and want to hang on my bathroom wall. I have built Ins to the left of potty already so I don't want shelves. Do I center on wall or over toilet?

Commenti (18)

• PRO
    LampsUSA.com
    8 anni fa

Center on wall.

• Jonah Mitchell
    8 anni fa
    I'd say you should CERTAINLY center it over the wall. I have OCD, so I can honestly say that it would drive you MUCH more crazy if it were centered with the toilet. If it's centered on the wall, it would be only minimal craziness. ;-). I love the picture you chose by the way.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

IMO it would make me crazy unless it was centered over the toilet as that is how your eye goes in the space.

• PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Assuming fit with code, the toilet should have been centred on that wall. I'm with Patricia - the toilet defines that space, not the wall. It will look unbalanced if centred on the wall (which is in general the more correct guide--just not in this space. Jill's observation on height is a good one. It's all about proportion.

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

The toilet is slightly off-center, but it's below where your eye naturally goes unless you wander around looking at your feet. And it's white porcelain in front of white porcelain tile. So it's importance is decreased even further. Because you tend to focus on things at head level and because the wall is essentially acting an extra mat for your pic, centering the pic on the wall makes the most sense.

But test it out. Cut out a piece of brown paper the size of your pic and tape it to the wall. Leave it up for a few days. Then try it in the other position. You'll know right away which position is right for you.

• acm
    8 anni fa

Maybe split the difference. It's a small shift.

• Andrea Jefferson
    8 anni fa
    I would center it over the toilet.
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    8 anni fa
    Hi

I would also center over the toilet as your eye will be drawn there.

Good luck.

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please follow us on Houzz.
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 anni fa

another vote for split the difference.

• PRO
    Designs by Vincenza Interiors, Inc
    8 anni fa
    Stop the madness & center it over the toilet. I don't think a male would care much, but if I were one it would drive me insane to not view this lovely picture directly!
  • carolanneboyle
    8 anni fa

I have a totally different response!

Move it to the right, and put two or three smaller paintings in a row vertically in the space on the left!

• Xty G (z4)
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Seeing your pictures above, I would definitely center it over the toilet, but in the pictures it is too high on the wall. The above post is absolutely correct that most people hang artwork too high. The rule of thumb that I have heard and has worked great for me is that the center of the picture should be about 57" off the floor, but anywhere between 57" and 60" works well.

• PRO
    First Sight Staging
    6 anni fa

If it will drive you crazy, center on wall and put something on toilet bowl that give the illusion that it is centered. I had this issue in a house I was staging where a towel rack was put over the toilet and not centered. Nothing I did made it look right until I added the plant. The real question is: why put a towel rack over the toilet?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 anni fa

Post from 2016

• Gary
    6 anni fa

Me? I'd hang it to the right so the boats sail onto the wall and group it with several similar, much smaller sailboaty stuff.

• jas618
    l'anno scorso

Even though this thread is 5+ years old, I really appreciate the advice here. I just moved into a condo abougt 4 months ago and am finally hanging art and pictures. I hadn't noticed the toilet in the guest bath was not centerd on the wall until I hung a picture- centered on the wall. Oops! It looks SO bad. Now I know what to do with the space. Thanks everyone!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".