Houzz Logo Print
aleciaf79

I need help to achive professional looking living room

aleciaf79
8 anni fa

Hi Everyone

I need some advice to make my living room look professionally decorated. My style is more modern glam.

I need help with the color and kind of window treatment, also the color and patterns for cushions. I like my wing chair but i just can't figure out what color cushion to add to elevate the style.

What do you guys think about the paint sample on the wall? is it too dark?

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and to look at my pictures. I thank you for all your advice.

Do you think this would work at my window?

Commenti (171)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

S Mistry you are to funny:) I do love zebra just has to be used perfectly.

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

I've added some lamps and wallpaper. What do you think?

greyed teal with tone on tone maze to echo the rug

tan from the rug with leopard print for fun

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I just remembered I have this mirror in storage. Could it work over the sofa?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

What is the size? It looks to small and not bold enough...I would hang whatever you choose over sofa not horizontal.....it needs to hang vertical to give the feeling of height in the room..if you decide on that you can flank the mirror hung vertical with large glam style sconces..remember big, bold and over the top. If you settle you can throw the the Professtional look you asked for out the window.

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

Large gold mirror, coming up:

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

Ok Jennifer K here are a few things I would love to see in this space. Keep large mirror add these gold end tables and lamps on each side of sofa...and could you try the square lucite coffee table from Horchow I posted earlier....you rock!

and add BM edgecomb gray on walls. Pretty please!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

Omgosh look as these...add them instead of the other end tables. Gorgeous

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

Edgecomb Gray, Lucite table, first set of end tables. I'll see about the gold chests tomorrow- I'm off to sleep now.

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Home interior- just so I know for the rest of the house. Please explain-Why the sheer and stationary drapes look traditional at the small window but be ok at the large window?
  • aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    As requested I moved the furniture around. Remember - I'm changing the art and coffee table. This picture also shows the ceiling with the spot light.
  • aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Moved chair to new location
  • aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    As you enter
  • Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

Alecia, since you like the shape of your distressed mirror (and it is lovely), you could strip and repaint it glam.

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I thought about that- but I'm not very good at DIY. I'm going to try to attempt to strip the windows and paint them white (before I call the professionals) if i survive that, then i will think about he mirror. But, for now I think i will put it in the family room or maybe put it for sale on Craigslist.

When you said make it glam you mean spray paint it gold???

Jennifer- What do you think about the new location of the chair and love seat?

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

window treatment · Maggiori informazioni

I'm a bit concerned with the woven blinds. They would be drawn 95% of the time and cover a large area ( 3 windows). I don't like the look of picture #2

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Sorry , the question about switching the love-seat was for Home interiors with ease.

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

With regard to your windows, you shouldn't need to strip them. Here's how to go about doing it (looks scarier than it is):

1. wash the woodwork thoroughly. Use an old toothbrush to get into crevices. Any dirt you leave behind will become part of your new finish.
    2. using 120 grit sandpaper (asanding sponge is nice for this) lightly sand the wood. This is not to take the finish off, just to rough up the surface a little so the paint will stick better.
    3. vacuum off the trim to remove sanding dust. You can wipe it down with a tack cloth too if you're a perfectionist.
    4. with green or blue painter's tape tape the walls and glass next to the trim that you will be painting. As you become a more experienced painter, you won't need to mask off as many areas. But especially when you're a beginner, painter's tape will protect you from getting paint where you don't want it.
    5. put a drop cloth in front of the window to protect the floor. I like to use an old shower curtain. Avoid really thin plastic-- it will just rumple up, trip you and not be covering the spot that you drop paint on.
    6. assemble your tools: a sponge or rag; a bucket of water; a paint tray (plastic is easier to clean than metal); a good quality angled sash brush; a stir stick; primer; paint. The rag and bucket are for immediately cleaning up drips and goofs. The rag should be well rung out and just barely damp when you use it. The brush is your most important tool. Do not buy a cheap one-- it won't work well and you'll be frustrated. Also, a good brush can last for years. Make sure you clean it carefully with soap and water after each painting session. Yes, it is a pain and yes, it does take longer than you think.
    7. mix your primer thoroughly with your stir stick. Pour some primer into your paint tray. Clean the edge of the paint can with your rag. Prime the trim. I like to use Zinsser Bull's Eye 123. It says you can skip the sanding step, but I never do.
    8. Paint the trim. I like to do this on the day after I prime just to be
      sure that I get good adhesion. Also, 2 thin coats will look much better
      than 1 thick coat. So don't try to finish faster by globbing on the
      paint.
    9. remove the painter's tape. You want to do this pretty much as soon as the paint is dry to the touch and you know that you're not adding another coat. If you leave it to long, you can peel off paint in unexpected and annoying places.

I could go on, but I think watching a couple of Youtube videos on how to paint trim would probably be more effective. It's not a difficult job. Just take it slow and easy and make sure you have lots of light.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

So you want your windows always covered only allowing filtered light?

look at silhouette blinds..I think they might be exactly what you are looking for.

i guess the modern look in your inspiration picture is only a valance with sheers...what makes it dramatic is they cover an entire wall and go around the corner window...you have two windows different sizes so just a sheer and valance will just look dull kinda old school....not the same impact. I think full silk drapes with silhouettes will give you that luxe glam you want.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

I would look at these

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Casa Blanca · Maggiori informazioni
    HIE- I was thinking it would look more like this at the bigger window and the smaller window would always be open as it looks into the backyard.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

You would have to completely follow through just like the picture full wall hung all the way up to ceiling...these details really make a difference..this is a very expensive way to go...they are hung on a track to give the soft fold effect. This is diffenilty a custom application.

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Will the small window look as good since it wouldn't be wall to wall?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

Are you completely sold on your citrine chair in this space...any other spot in your home it could be used....2 smaller accents chairs would really be a better fit....I know it can be overwhelming all your pictures are tone on tone modern glam and that chair just dosen't fit in..it is beautiful but not really the look of modern glam....something to think about....you can pick up a couple inexpensive accent chairs on wayfair.com I think it could really change the feel of the room immediately. just a thought...I am really trying to give you an honest opinion so that the outcome is what you are hoping for visually.

• anniebird
    8 anni fa

I think what's holding you back in this room is the lack of a strong pattern. In your idea room, the carpet provides a bold, graphic base even though the colors are relatively muted. Your rug has much less contrast and the sofas and much debated citrine chair are very quiet. They're great team players, but none leads the room in terms of color or visual interest. At Home earlier said that glam is bold, and has given you great suggestions for secondary pieces to add (LOVE the lucite ottomans with white shag!!). I suggested a feature wallpaper for the large wall and would like to bring it up again. Lots of choices in wallpaper for a Hollywood glam room; these bolder patterns can help make your current choices work.

(Colors are perfect here, though the pattern is more traditional than glam)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

The windows will really look off if this is the direction you are going in.....maybe if the other window track is expanded wider to give the illusion the window is bigger so their is a balance between the two walls....I really think hanging silver or gold rods up high over both windows with very full silk drapes and silhouette shades is the way to go it will look very luxe...and save you money to use for the rest of your space. That type drape on a soft fold track could cost as much as $5000 depending on your fabric. The soft fold track alone would start at around $300. I have no idea your budget but if it is on that level I would hire a Professtional.

here is a chair suggestion. Good Luck I am here to give you help the best I can. Any questions email me at zmom40@aol.com

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

my bedroom is grey. I will try and see how the yellow chair looks.

I like the sample of wall paper provided by Jennifer and by annie. But, wall paper is a lifetime commitment and I cant commit to strong patterns or color for such a wide surface area for so long.

HIE- that chair in the same color?

• anniebird
    8 anni fa
    Wallpaper is not a lifetime commitment:) Just make sure you use sizing on the wall to facilitate easy removal down the road.
  • Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

Wallpaper is no more difficult than paint. Honest! I've done lots of it. And if you're having professionals do it anyway, then it wouldn't matter if it were.

But, the "wallpaper" I put in your room could also be done with satin glaze and a stencil over flat paint. So, you could still have subtle pattern and no paper.

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

with sunburst wallpaper!

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Sorry, I'm not a fan of that look.. It looks "old school" or stuffy

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

No need to be sorry. It's your room. Would you like to see any of the wallpapers that anniebird posted? I'll put the gold chest from HIE in the next version.

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I'm more concerned right now about the window treatment color and style and getting a color scheme. So if I go out shopping and see something I know that it will go with the room

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

For me, the colour scheme comes from the furniture I have and the way a room is lit. That's why I keep going back to the greyed-blue wall. In the pics, it just feels best to me- a little bit dramatic but still calm and dignified. Think Bette Davis rather than Liz Taylor. Since advice is that the drapes should be monochromatic and in the same colour family as the walls, I'd be shopping for greyed-blue drapes. I wouldn't finalize my paint colour until after I had them, but I'd have my starting point.

You, however, may have decided that you want a cream or a greige or a tan room. And if that is the case, please tell me, and all the future renderings will be in your preferred colour family.

• Jennifer K
    8 anni fa

Last one for tonight, Edgecomb Grey and gold chest:

I left the mirrored chest in not because it goes with the gold one, but so you could see both at the same time. I think the gold chest goes beautifully with the sofas and chair- similar lines. I also think that lucite coffee table is all wrong. But YMMV!

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    8 anni fa

Until recently, when houzz notified us of a new comment that had been posted on a dilemma, we were taken immediately to the newest comment. But now we must scroll down through miles of comments to get to the latest one. I find that to be a waste of time, not because I'm not interested in the dilemma, but because it takes more time than is necessary. Does anyone else have this problem, and/or feel this way?

• connie912
    8 anni fa
    Yes, Carolyn. It is a nuisance and surely could be improved. Also , I just scrolled back a long way to write this comment!
  • PRO
    8 anni fa

What is both sad and bad is that it used to be easier! Perhaps houzz will correct this problem.

• terry toon
    8 anni fa
    I double tap the bottom of my ipad at the top of the dilemma to go to the newest comment.
    aleciaf79 ha ringraziato terry toon
  • aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Hopefully I will find something nice this weekend to add to the room and start a new post . So no more long scrolling :-)

• honeydell1
    8 anni fa

I've been reading through all the comments and just wanted to give a new perspective. Some of the suggestions are great and some of the photos are worthy of trying to emulate if you see one you like. These comments of mine, as all the others, are just one person's perspective of course and what really matters is how you feel in your room. You also want you and your guests to be able to sit comfortably. Do you often have a lot of people over? Do you just need to seat others occasionally? How do you use this roon? It would seem you have a small home, so the impact statement you are trying to achieve needs to be there as soon as someone walks in.

Many of the suggestions have been very good - for drapes I liked both the idea of white sheer over white (or off-whte) blinds. You may not really need the blinds underneath the sheers if they are full enough in fold. Perhaps you can live with a little show through unless you need total privacy at night. The Hunter Douglas silhouette blinds are great but very expensive; maybe you can add those later. No to Roman shades or balloon shades. For the small window, go wider than the window - the whole wall if you want, for a luxurious and spacious feel, like in the photo you posted early on. The second option mentioned was silk or faux silk drapes in a light blue green - depending on your wall color - lined silk drapes are very nice. They feel wonderful to touch. I like them even better than the sheer drapes but you would still want sheers underneath for the privacy you need.

Yesterday I saw some rods with clear ball finials that looked very glam - no end cap on the glass ball - they were not terribly expensive. No to natural fiber/ toned shades/blinds - way too casual and too textural for your look.

End tables - all mirrored chests that are done well look glam; some are not done well on the painted portions ("distressed") and look cheap. They are expensive if you get good quality. Gold spray painted chests do not look glam, they look tacky cheap - so unless you can afford real gold gilded furniture, I wouldn't do that chest.

Your citrine chair doesn't bother me but any number of small side chairs out there would work well - depends on if you want them to be used only briefly or for a room full of people to sit in how comfortable and functional they need to be. The more formal, the more glam.

We've already discussed the art.

I would go with clear lamp bases with or without a touch of metal vice the solid gold ones; or colored glass bases. They will go a long way to setting the look you are going for. Quartz crystal would also be nice. Keep the shapes simple - it's the materials that will make the statement.

Wall color - just about any suggested are going to work depending on what you want to do with the rest of the room.

Pick your accent color and put that in the room via pillows and art and floral arrangements. That is where the pattern and color can be strengthened.

Keep in mind that the glam look is all about finishes, shine and sparkle - glass,clear, metals, soft and silky textures over rough and a little bit of the unexpected that makes you say Wow!

Best wishes to you and for your finished room.

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Honeywell, thanks for your new perspective. The room is not really used often. It's really my "show room" or my personal little get-away . If I use sheer then I wouldn't need to use blinds. I only need partial privacy. So it would be stationary drape with sheer. Or drapes and blinds.
  • PRO
    8 anni fa

That double click suggested by terry toon doesn't work for me. What really annoys me is that Taking you to the latest comment used to happen automatically on houzz, and now it doesn't! I used to give far more time yo answering design dilemmas than I do now, because so many dilemmas are either self advertising or presented so poorly that there is no good answer.

• terry toon
    8 anni fa

Maybe I didn't explain correctly, sorry. I use the Houzz app on my iPad and double TAP, with my forefinger, the lower right corner of the screen, to get to the last comment in a thread. I tap just above the word "latest", and it works every time.

• honeydell1
    8 anni fa

aleciaf79, I understand. If you go with the silk drapes, think about those "crystal ball" finials - so awesome looking. I think we saw them at Home Goods or Target. I have some pale robin's egg blue silk drapes I just love the look and feel of. Gray silk might be nice for you, too. I'm not sure where you live but there is a decorator in the Washington, DC area who does a lot with the chartreuse color. I found a lot of interesting looking rooms you might want to see by Googling 'chartreuse living rooms' and click on the images tab - I see a lot of what you've started with in the results.

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    8 anni fa

I like the dark taupe paint sample. Lose the painting above the sofa.... it has nothing to do with your room and is not appealing at all. Try the shabby chic window frame above the sofa.... no, to the sheer window coverings...

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I have started a new post since this was getting too long (I was having some technical issues and posted the same things many times...sorry)

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-help-me-to-achieve-a-glamorous-living-room-dsvw-vd~3760249[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-help-me-to-achieve-a-glamorous-living-room-dsvw-vd~3760249)

Hope to see you guys over at my new spot :-)

• aleciaf79
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I'm all alone on the new post :(

Hi Jennifer K. if you could work you magic and add these new items. (for some reason I can't upload pictures but here is the link for coffee table and art work.

Dimensions72''W x 48''H

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-17498-prime-surface.aspx

art:48 X48 http://www.zgallerie.com/p-17385-golden-mist.aspx

coffee table: 34.5''W x 50.25''D x 18''H http://www.zgallerie.com/p-14841-abigail-coffee-table.aspx

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-12847-duplicity-coffee.aspx

with cream drapes.

Thanks so much

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 anni fa

Love both art pieces and the duplicity table.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

Both tables are nice....I prefer the Abigail it has a more glam feeling to me the duplicity is very modern but would not call it glam...but both will work.

I actually think both pieces of art have to much brown in them? But that is just what I see....art is very personal. I think to get more glam.....look for art with less warm tones...more cool tones..

S Mistry what do you think? Really not sure about the art choices. Do you agree should look for something with more cool tones..teal..blue..gray..purple...silvers and gold applications?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 anni fa

Aleciaf79

would you ever consider going into this more modern classic glam vibe? Kinda upper Manhattan style :)

love the dark gray walls with the matching drapes...the contrast of the cream accessories and sofa is so beautiful...and it has your chandelier!!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".