Houzz Logo Print
kim_tyson

Lighting plan

Kim Tyson
8 anni fa
Hi all, just about to embark on our lighting/electrical plan for our house, our builder seemed to suggest we just go over the plans and put where we want pendants, downlights, power points, etc. we have no idea so would love some input from anyone!

Also, we need to have LED downlights as per basix requirements, but we love the warmer yellow-ey colour of the halogen and have found the LED to be too white and not pleasant.. Anyone have some suggestions for the best way to go? I'll attach our plans for your perusal :)

wondering if anyone h

Commenti (10)

• Kim Tyson
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Attached is a clearer photo I think :)
  • Vy
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

this is what I've found with our renos in general

1/ bathrooms always need 2 lights 1 central 1 just above vanity

power points both side of vanity for hair dryer/shaver/electric toothbrush

2/ bedrooms needs 2 double power points placed behind bedsides. 1 extra one for vacuum cleaner on another wall

1 light is enough with options of wall lights or table lamp

3/ study needs Internet /cable point power points for printers etc floor lamp etc and a central light and a light where study bench is

4/ outdoor make sure you've got external lights ..power points for DIY work / water feature/ an outdoor spa ..new gas hot water system have a point for pilot lights now.

5/ living area power points for stereo systems ,TV, vacuum cleaner, floor/table lamps etc consider dimmer ?

7/ front door light / security system/door bell ?hardwired

6/ you would also need to work out which switch turns off which lights and where the switch needs to go

7/ kitchen power points for dishwasher, wall oven, fridge ,microwave and all your appliances ..bamix toaster kettle

8/ kitchen needs to be well lit lots of lights

9/ laundry power point for washing machine and dryer one for vacuum cleaner

10/ hall ways power points for vacuum cleaner.

11/ garage will need a light and power points for DIY stuff so you can vacuum your car etc

• Vy
    8 anni fa

best if you sit down work out what you need and do a list ..look around your house and see how the existing lighting plans work and where you want more light or less light etc

I had heaps of power points installed just in case ..and it paid off

also if possible have sky lights saves power bills

• Vy
    8 anni fa

smoke alarms..and lighting for artwork ..

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    8 anni fa

Consider powerpoints in kitchen cupboards/pantry too for appliances that aren't always out!

• PRO
    Sparks Fly Electrical
    8 anni fa

Good evening Kim, you may find a couple of our blog posts helpful. In particular: Planning-a-home-renovation-in-canberra and also: USB-power-points. Best of luck with your house.

• Vy
    8 anni fa

@Pipe Perfection..they tend to hurry you up ..my lighting plans isn't perfect either ..then just recently we found out the electrician gave us end of line down lights which meant when one went we had to basically replace the whole thing as there was no replacement parts

• PRO
    JOHN & JOHNSTON GROUP, PET DOORS, DOG DOORS
    8 anni fa

Instead of putting power points in places just in case, have your electrician run the cable around your walls at a determined hight (around 250 to 300mm from the floor) this will give you flexibility in the future to position the points exactly where you need them. It will still cost you to have the electrician back but it will be a quick job for them to have the wire already there. Remember to take plenty of photos of where the wires run before you plaster so you can point out in future where the wires are.

A couple of data points will also come in handy if you want to connect your smart TV or maybe your office PC etc to the internet. You have these installed back to where your modem will live.

Also have a 6mm cable or larger run to the back of the house for future pool, spa or man cave.

Oh before I forget don't forget to install one of our pet doors LOL..

Good luck!

• PRO
    Undercover Architect
    6 anni fa

Kim,

Please get some professional help with this - it will make the WORLD of difference.

If you visit electrical wholesalers, you'll often find they'll do this for free as part of helping you choose their light fittings.

Beacon Lighting will charge $100 to do it, and that's redeemable against any of their products.

Bright Green (an Australian LED company) have a service to let you do it online.

And if you google "free lighting plan service" you'll see a myriad of alternatives.

It's a tricky thing to get lighting right - and something that's so frustrating to stuff up, because retrofit is expensive (or you need to where shades inside at night).

If you listen to my new podcast episode on Tuesday, I've got a fantastic podcast partner who does customisable LED strip lighting, in Australia, and they have a special offer for my podcast listeners. Head to the website, look for 'podcast' on the top menu, and you'll see it there. They're sponsoring Season 3 (which starts Tuesday).

Best wishes

Amelia, UA

www.undercoverarchitect.com

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".