Houzz Logo Print
bird_feliciano

will a kitchen island actually work?

bird f
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

we just moved and i bought a beautiful kitchen island from world market for 50% off. i really LOVE the kitchen island, but am unsure about whether the space plan for the kitchen can accommodate it. Thanks in advance for your advice! photos of the kitchen are included below.

here's the kitchen island: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/wood+and+metal+jackson+kitchen+cart.do?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Commenti (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

I can't help without some measurements but from the pics I would say no.

• housegal200
    8 anni fa

Mark the dimensions of the kitchen island on the floor. You should have 3' minimum space surrounding it so you can open dishwasher, oven, etc. I see the island has wheels, so maybe that will be less of a problem for you since you can push it out of the way. But 54" long is close to 6'. It's going to take up a lot of space.

bird f ha ringraziato housegal200
  • Susan Mladenovich
    8 anni fa

What is the reason you want an island? The one you picked doesn't look very useful.

• bird f
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

more counter space and way to work on food prep close to the stove.

• PRO
    All Wright Electric
    8 anni fa
    I've actually done lots of work and rewriting in kitchen these sizes.

What many clients chose to do was incorporate a portable island which is not stationary, this way it can be moved about. Just a thought, best of luck.
  • Susan Mladenovich
    8 anni fa

the problem with the one you picked (my problem, may not be yours) is no power for appliances and open storage underneath which means it needs to be "pretty".

• Susan Mladenovich
    8 anni fa

Something like this but with a drop top you can use to expand the size when you needed but keep it small day to day.

Alive in San Francisco · Maggiori informazioni

bird f ha ringraziato Susan Mladenovich
  • PRO
    All Wright Electric
    8 anni fa
    Gotcha, here a resolution for that.

Have a floor outlet installed in the center of the location you would like the island.

Have plug mold ( Black or brushed finish) installed on the side of the island under the over hang if there is one.
    Have the electrician, transition the hard wired plug mold into a cord connection which will protrude underneath the island and plug in!
  • bird f
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Hi Susan, that's a lovely kitchen island. Do you know where that's from?

• Susan Mladenovich
    8 anni fa

I grabbed it from a Houzz project. If you click on the more info underneath it takes you to the original picture.

bird f ha ringraziato Susan Mladenovich
  • drememon
    8 anni fa

Birdf, I love your vintage cabinets and hinges. The island cart seems to fit right in. I counted your floor tiles, and if they're the typical 1 ft square tiles that I think they are, you have plenty of room for the island, and I'm sure you'll find it's really useful for prep, extra storage and general landing space while unloading groceries/ dishwasher, oven, etc. Since it's on wheels, you can move it where you need it.

In our first house (a 50s reno), my husband and I built an island on wheels for all those reasons...landing space, extra storage, another place to pull up a stool and work or chat, prep area, buffet area. It was great.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".