Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Kitchen table - with or without tablecloth?

Emmeline Westin
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

A recent comment on our Facebook page made me think about the absence of tablecloths in photos on Houzz. It might be a styling thing, or it might be a taste thing, it might also be because breakfast bars are so popular, but there are definitely very few tablecloths around.

How have you dressed your kitchen/dining table?

Somerset Cottage · Maggiori informazioni

With tablecloth
With table runner
Without tablecloth or table runner
Other - tell us below!

Commenti (36)

• PRO
    Anthony Edwards Kitchens
    8 anni fa

My kitchen table goes from bare to covered a few times a year,depending on mood and the time of year ! You can go radical and then change your mind a few months later, go warm and cosy in the winter, bare and simple in the summer.

• Lynn Robbo
    8 anni fa
    Table should be naked or with a runner X
  • Nicky Graham
    8 anni fa

What Lynn said : )

• Tani H-S
    8 anni fa
    I've only even used a tablecloth to either hide an ugly table, or at Xmas to give a more dressed/festive feel
  • pavinia
    8 anni fa

If I had a nicer table, it would be without. My current ikea however is destined to be covered!

• User
    8 anni fa

My kitchen table is large and often doubles as a more formal dining table. It is painted a bright colour, topped with protective yacht varnish,to compliment the kitchen. When I am entertaining I then use a table cloth which creates a more intimate feel and less 'kitcheny' look. Lower the lighting level, add flowers and music to quell focus on kitchen.

• breda44
    8 anni fa
    Routine use of Tablecloths went out with the focus on Children's Home Safety.
    Lots of A&E attendance from burns due to hot drinks being overturned from children pulling on table covers.
  • User
    8 anni fa
    Guess we don't all gave children!
  • jo_spiew
    8 anni fa

The one on the photo is way to big and bland for that room. I use both, depending on the mood. Right now I use table cloth, made of very colorfull fabric, it brightens my room with extra spalsh of colour, and yes it looks modern too. Table cloth shoul not be boring, it can make or break your room design, it can be ugly, it can be beautiful, moden or oldschool.

• ameliaelizabethp
    8 anni fa

I have an oil cloth on my large dining table which seats 12 as it is an antique and my children love to do their art projects on it. I also have a felt protector on it under the cloth. I then either take off for dinners with friends and use mats or put on a smart cloth if extended family visit.

My kitchen table is always bare makes it easier to wipe clean

• User
    8 anni fa

Exactly the same as ameliaelizabethp as far as coverings go. I don't want the dining table to be ruined so keep a felt protector and oil cloth on it. All the time. I should have bought a cheaper table as I keep it covered! My children liken it to keeping sofas covered in plastic a la My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

I MAY uncover it when we knock kitchen and dining room together. May.

Kitchen table is always uncovered.

• Laura Thomas
    8 anni fa
    I have an oil cloth on ours, because we have small children who on a daily basis like to smear their unwanted food on to the table. I can wipe it off the cloth easier than the oiled surface, especial when my husband has been in charge and left it to dry!
    Also great when they are painting etc.
    I tried leaving it bare and my 3 year old found a biro and drew on it, thankfully it is able to be sanded and reoiled.
    If we have guests I either uncover it or put a linen tablecloth on.
  • parity_ncube
    8 anni fa
    It doesn't look good, i call it the granny style
  • billy22
    8 anni fa

Only use table cloth for Sunday Lunch - but how lovely does it look and makes the food tast better ! My gran had a clean one everyday and no washing machine ! Puts me to shame !

• PRO
    A M Interiors Ltd
    8 anni fa

I wouldn't call that a table cloth...it looks more like an oversized bed sheet :) If it's a nice table then show it off and maybe just have a bright runner or a more luxurious lace cloth that isn't too long. It shouldn't be an afterthought, it should co-ordinate with the rest of your room as well as be practical.

• Hiba Lee
    8 anni fa

I have an ugly dining table so it's covered with lovely, elegant table cloths... If I had a nicer table, I would leave it uncovered to show it off, but still use a table cloth when eating at the table, as dining without a tablecloth feels strange...

• aleria57
    8 anni fa

place mats for dinner, naked otherwise

• breda44
    8 anni fa
    Love the oil cloth
  • Katrina Rachel
    8 anni fa

Kitchen table has a new tablecloth every morning, with fresh flowers from the garden (we live in Portugal). Dining table is Georgian mahogany and left bare unless we have a formal party, then we use a bespoke Madeira cloth. Laundry is easier in a sunny climate I find.

• lyk3non
    8 anni fa

my big kitchen table always has a lovely vintage linen cloth which is a joy to put on clean and spray starched if I can be bothered. The table is much used not only for eating but for gathering friends around and talking, coffee, wine etc. On the table is a lamp, a small carved statue, two brass candlesticks plus other current bits of life like photographs, magnets for fiddling with, poems etc. and I love it!!!

• mrsdoyle_2009
    8 anni fa
    personally, I love a tablecloth, it always seems clean and tidy.In my own kitchen though (granite table top) it would be mad to cover it.So, on my modern home, no tablecloth.
  • maria galvano
    8 anni fa
    I like to see both but would opt for bare and then table cloth for special occasions to make an effort. oil cloths are brilliant option or do what I did buy a wrought iron table and chairs in the winter sale 100.00 pounds for large oval table and 4 chairs ex shop demo indestructible to hot things and my puppies chewing them child safe just wipe clean and if you tire of it just repaint it or move it outside I love mine so much
  • User
    8 anni fa

If the table is suitable, getting a glazier to make a glass table top is a good option - easy to clean and hygienic, whilst protecting the beauty of the wood underneath.

• Ivlia Blackburn
    8 anni fa

Kitchen table bare, I use it when cooking, but dining table always has a tablecloth. Lace in the day and fabric when eating.

• mrsdoyle_2009
    8 anni fa
    put glass on top to protect it.also adds different look to older furniture.
  • poppy_fields
    8 anni fa

With two small children we love our oil cloth. Wouldn't be without it and it brightens up the room.

• minnie101
    8 anni fa

I'm not that keen on tablecloths or runners and much prefer tables bare. I always use a tablecloth when we have people over for dinner though. I do have a habit of ruining them though (3 in as many months with red wine stains and candle wax) but I was given a Ralph Lauren one for xmas and was told it was indestructible. It did receive the obligatory red wine stain and washed out so fingers crossed. We also took the decision not to stress over the wooden kitchen table top and let it "age/wear" although our son is past the age of painting if not smearing food!

• User
    8 anni fa

minnie101 - I wish we had bought a wooden topped table. It has a thin veneer on it which is why I keep the oil cloth on it.

On the very odd time that I use a tablecloth, I use Ace bleach on red wine and tomato sauce stains. It's in the washing detergent aisle.

• minnie101
    8 anni fa

Angelina, thanks for the tip. I will give that a go next time! (As I have failed on using the White wine trick!)

• Jan Johnson
    8 anni fa

Placemats, sometimes small square just where we are eating

• User
    8 anni fa

Both, depending on the occasion.

• gilliifer
    8 anni fa

Had a pretty oilcloth when the children were younger. Still use it now as a groundsheet in the garden

I like a tablecloth or runner depending on colour scheme and season. Art deco table I dont want to be damaged beyond the existing patina.

• PRO
    The Wood Company
    8 anni fa

Looks modern

• PRO
    The South African Shop
    8 anni fa

What about a beautiful traditional South African print table cloth?

• PRO
    Simply Tablecloths
    8 anni fa

I normally have my table naked - However, always keep a wipe clean one handy in case you have kids/messy guests!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".