Houzz Logo Print
texaswildflower210

Steel post in foundation question - repair doesn't look legit

What do you guys think ? This doesn't look right at all

Commenti (8)

• PRO
    MC Home Improvements & Construction
    8 anni fa
    the bottom of that column should be in bedded in cement and depending on weight, it will effect the size of the footing needed
  • PRO
    MC Home Improvements & Construction
    8 anni fa
    if a engineer signed off on it, then you should be good. it's there licence and name on the line. I've always I'm bedded in cement. but I always follow plans from engineers and architects. Are they raising a red flag now?
  • texaswildflower210
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    These are preventative measures to support a 1860s farm house from setting. There isn't any sagging in the floor area, no joist were cut, and there are cross joist. The house is pretty solid. These were suppose to replace lolly columns prior to purchasing the home.
  • PRO
    ROAM Architecture
    8 anni fa

Hi, texaswildflower210,

These "remedies" look suspect to me as well. The connections, both at the top and bottom of the posts, don't look at all secure.

At the top of the column, the connection looks toe-nailed. That's not great. I'd prefer to see a more solid mechanical connection such as:

And, at the base, it looks as though they just rested the columns onto the existing concrete slab. This may or may not be okay, depending on the thickness of the slab, and the amount of load that the column is carrying. Chances of the slab being particularly thick to carry the load are not good, though, given the age of the home. I would be concerned that this would start adding point loads to the slab, and cause cracking. Think of trying to walk in the snow in high heels -- same idea. You really need to distribute the weight to a greater area, and install a proper footing.

This one-page website shows an example of an old home where the columns were inadequate and replaced. I would have hoped that your renovations looked more like this:

Structural Repairs, 1873 Victorian

Best advice is to get a structural engineer in there to confirm. S/he will need to perform some calculations to get you a proper answer.

Good luck with it!

Best,

Amy M. Nowak-Palmerini, AIA

• texaswildflower210
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Those pictures are what I was expecting to see
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 anni fa

Like others suggested there should be a footing under the column min 2' x 2' x 1' deep and the column should be placed on top of that and top flange bolted into the beam above, the lower portion of the column should be embedded into concrete. Here is a cross section to give you an idea.

• texaswildflower210
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

We may just proceed forward and do these repairs ourselves. Although exceedingly frustrating to say the least, we know they would be done correctly.

What do these repairs typically run? What did you guys pay for your projects?

I know there are lot of variables, but it is still nice to know at least a few marks on the wall for cost vs none at all.

If anyone does these sort or repairs in Duchess County NY, please feel free to pm with your business information.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".