Houzz Logo Print
underthebigsky

HeLp kitchen

We are remodeling a kitchen and have purchased mocha cabinets. Wondering if a barn wood style tile would go with mocha cabinets? And we have an oak hardwood floor in the house that will be next to the barnwood floor. Should we go with something that matches the oak floor or is the barnwood ok? Thank you!

Commenti (14)

• sharongw
    8 anni fa

The tile you picked goes beautifully with your cabinet color but do think two 'wood' flooring next to each other will look as if you ran out of one material when laying down the floor? I am in a similar situation right now - I have to pick tile to lay next to existing hardwood and I am wondering if it is just me over thinking this...

underthebigsky ha ringraziato sharongw
  • PRO
    Bilgart Design
    8 anni fa

Depends how big the overall space ( kitchen + surrounding ) is ?

Generally speaking it is best to keep floors all the same to get a soothing and unifying effect, or, to indicate this is the kitchen space: VERY contrasting, totally different ei: wood /tile ( could be with a pattern, look at Granada tile) OR wood /brick. could be cool laid in a pattern OR wood /linoleum ( black and white is a classic).

Hope this helps

underthebigsky ha ringraziato Bilgart Design
  • underthebigsky
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

We are remodeling so the existing hardwood is orginal. The kitchen currently has linoleum and underneath that is the same hardwood as in the other rooms which I voted to go with that. Because it is real hardwood my s.o. does not want to use because of possible water getting on the floor in the kitchen, etc. It is very hard to decide. I keep going back and forth. I have seen pictures on the internet with contrasting flooring from one room to the next. I think the flooring split up the rooms and made them there own unique style. I think the barnwood would go great with white cabinets.

• Sonsoles de Lacalle
    8 anni fa
    If it is original wood floor, I would use that but look into ways of finishing it that will make cleaning easier. About water.... remember that ships are in water, :-) so wood and water are OK....
    underthebigsky ha ringraziato Sonsoles de Lacalle
  • PRO
    KHB Interiors
    8 anni fa
    Hello

I would use the same flooring or go with a very contrasting material and pattern.

I have not used 2 wood ( look) next to each other.

Best of luck.

KHB Interiors New Orleans
    underthebigsky ha ringraziato KHB Interiors
  • underthebigsky
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thank you Bilgart Designs. I agree with you. My s.o. loves this barnwood and wants to use it. I love it too but think it it would look better to have a more flowing look. The original hardwood flooring opens an open floor plan with 2 living rooms/ dining room roughly 800 sq ft. The barnwood flooring would go in the kitchen down a hall and a smaller space off the kitchen about 600sq ft. Thank you for your feedback

• PRO
    Bilgart Design
    8 anni fa

Keep the hardwood! It can be refinished. You can add a rug, its classic don't fool with it. Goes with every style. U can get more bang for your $ in other placers. I do not think that The wooden tile floor will feel right against the hardwood and not really be waterproof anyway unless the substrate is waterproofed.

underthebigsky ha ringraziato Bilgart Design
  • underthebigsky
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

irenefromspain. Thank you. I agree with you.

• underthebigsky
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

KHB Interiors New Orleans Thank you. I agree.

• underthebigsky
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

jhmaire, Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

• classysass
    8 anni fa
    I agree with the previous posters. You cannot go wrong by using what you already have. Hard to imagine covering hardwood with linoleum.
    underthebigsky ha ringraziato classysass
  • underthebigsky
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

classysass. I know it is hard to believe someone would do that.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

You could always do a barnwood accent wall somewhere but I agree same flor throughout

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".