Houzz Logo Print
acrubendall

Help with 5 year old girl's bedroom colors please

acrubendall
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

My 5 year old daughter has a very small bedroom (10' x 12') with a full sized bed, a good sized dresser to match, bookcase, and side table. The room is pretty full. The ceilings are high, and the window is huge. The window is 70.5 x 70.5. We have regular white faux-wood blinds on the window. The walls and ceiling are textured, and there is a white ceiling fan. The bed / dresser that match are a wood stain from Baby's R Us. I am considering painting the bed / dresser white to match the other bookcase and night stand. I have curtains and a pillow that I am using as inspiration for paint colors. My daughter says she wants pink paint on the walls, and keeps pointing out the fuchsia dark, bright pinks. She also loves rainbow themes and really likes multi color things that utilize more of a jewel tone / bright color rainbow effect. So, I have chosen four colors that I like and believe coordinate (in order from left to right on picture: SW 6709 gleeful, bm 577 mermaid's tale, sw 6840 exuberant pink, and sw 6015 vaguely mauve), but am at a total loss as to how to apply them. (I'm not set in stone on these colors if you have other suggestions). Should I stick to one, two, three, or try somehow to use all 4? My daughter loves color, and I'm not afraid to be creative, but really would love some input! I would also appreciate input on a comforter / bed cover and skirt. Thanks in advance!

Commenti (97)

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Wow! That's cool! How did you do that er?

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I've actually decided to go with a different pink, Benjamin Moore's hotlips. I ordered some flat back rhinestones (lime green, teal combination) to put on the mirror I have. I'm going to paint the mirror frame (it's just a thick pine rectangle framed mirror that I've had for years and not using). I have no idea how it's going to turn out! I plan to paint the furniture too, but am stuck on how to paint it....white, colorful, not sure. I like the hot pink accent wall. What I don't want is to paint the furniture white and have all other white walls. I'm stuck on what to do with the other 3 walls and furniture.

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Er, thank you for the layouts! Unfortunately the dresser is too long to accommodate the first two. We have had that little room in every configuration you can imagine! The dresser length causes so many issues!

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I agree drememon. I need to paint the ceiling, it is the kilim beige color all over the house, and I don't like it on the ceiling. I agree, I think it needs to be white or light (maybe light, light blue?) I like the idea of neutral other 3 walls, but not sure what? If I paint the furniture white, the walls need to have some depth to the color? OR I could paint the furniture, perhaps mostly white, but with drawers for example a different color, and the backing of the shelves a different color, maybe turquoise to match curtains? The bed has me baffled as to what to paint it.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    8 anni fa
    My first idea that came to mind for your room was paint the ceiling the dark colour. Here's the photo that came to mind
    acrubendall ha ringraziato HalloBlondie-zone5a
  • HalloBlondie-zone5a
    8 anni fa
    The second idea was kind of a rainbow brite idea. Here's a pic of what I was thinking. It's colorful but not overwhelming.
    acrubendall ha ringraziato HalloBlondie-zone5a
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Ooh! I like that halloblondie!

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Funny, she originally wanted Rainbow Dash themed room! That's what started us on this colorful journey, lol!

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I don't trust myself to do that chevron pattern, BUT I could maybe do thick stripes? or a 3/4 bigger and smaller horizontal pattern with different colors. I could also keep the accent wall hot pink and do the chevron pattern in the bedding. I like the pink shelves too! I have some smaller white floating shelves that I could paint pink, and I can paint her lamps hot pink too.

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I LOVE the pink rug. I hadn't thought about putting pink on the floor. Great idea!

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    8 anni fa
    A lot of times it all comes in with the details. I'm envious of people who get to do girl's rooms. I have a boy & my husband likes the modern rustic look. Would love to have one room that was delightfully girly! Maybe the next one!!!
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

It is lots of fun! My daughter is not really girly, but she is full of personality and LOVES color!

• er612
    8 anni fa

Will the dresser fit at the foot of the bed?

North Seattle · Maggiori informazioni

• er612
    8 anni fa

Since you plan to paint the mirror, what if you add a couple frames and paint them the same color like the ones on the left wall below...

Blue & Pink Chevron Girls Room · Maggiori informazioni

• er612
    8 anni fa

I should add the reason I'm suggesting that you put the bed and dresser next to each other is you might be able to avoid painting the furniture.

Inspired by your Rainbow Dash comment and paint choice (The character is just meant to show colors. I'm not suggesting you add decals):

acrubendall ha ringraziato er612
  • Jennifer Dube
    8 anni fa

I don't mind the dark wood for the bed, as it seems the kitty pillow has some black in it? Or is that my monitor? The kitty pillow is gorgeous but you'll note it has a lot of yellow. I think if you are taking your cues from it for your decorating theme, you want to mimic the same balance of colors. It has more yellow and yellow is the main / backdrop color, then blue & turquoise are the next most prominent, then black, fuchsia and green are accents. To translate that to your room, the walls would be pale yellow, the bedding would be turquoise & blue, the furniture could be black, and then the accents would be fuchsia and green.

I think I'd go with the yellow for the walls -- is that Gleeful? Turquoise bedding and curtains. Then fuchsia for all the accents -- mirror frames, lamps, throw pillows/pillow case, and yes, paint the white furniture in fuchsia.

If you really want pink wall(s) but don't want to paint the bed, consider storing away the frame for now, and make an inexpensive padded headboard or get a cheap one on Craigslist and paint away... what if you did rainbow colors on the headboard railings?

acrubendall ha ringraziato Jennifer Dube
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Oh wow, you guys are good! I am really thinking now! Er I had actually considered those neutral paint colors so glad to know I'm not so far off! I showed them to my daughter and she likes a lot, but keeps asking for the whole room to be pink. That doesn't mean we will do that! I think the bed and the larger dresser will fit in that wall but the problem is they JUST fit and that puts the bed against the wall or window. It does free up good space however.
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    No the dresser doesn't work at the foot of the bed, too deep.
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Jennifer, thanks so much for all that info! Yes, the pillow does have black in it. And I have been noticing the yellow too, as well as the lime green. I really keep gravitating towards the lime green. The mirror will be lime green (if I do it right). I thought about putting the lime green in the bed skirt also. I don't think she would like mostly pale yellow walls, yellow is not a favorite color of hers. I love the idea of the lime green though. I have considered painting the rails on the bed a rainbow of the color palette which seems to be hot pink, turquoise / teal blue, and lime green. I also found a picture that has the hotlips paint on one wall with the padded headboard in the turquoise / teal color, and I really like it. It also has the lime green bed skirt.

Riverdale Home · Maggiori informazioni

Riverdale Home · Maggiori informazioni

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Storing away the bed frame is not really an option though. We really don't have the space. I'd really like to use the bed we have. Is it a bad idea to paint the bed frame that teal / turquoise color?

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Or leave the bed as is or paint white, and have turquoise and lime green bedding?

• Natalie
    8 anni fa

Hi---

I really like this layout best.

I still think all the walls should be painted pink and furniture white. The teal curtains would add a nice backdrop to the white dresser. I would treat the window Wall as if the window was the entire width of the wall---all fabric. This IKEA light would look darling overhead and cast fabulous pattern on the walls and ceiling. Good Luck!

acrubendall ha ringraziato Natalie
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Very nice Natalie! She would love that, but we installed a new, white ceiling fan... oh how she would love that light!! She prefers the entire room pink too...

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Here are some pics of painted beds I found in black, blue, and white.

Traditional Kids · Maggiori informazioni
    Not a fan of this pink color... but this is what our bed would look like white.

Brooklyn's Nursery · Maggiori informazioni
    The crib painted blue is what her bed would look like. This is not really THE blue I want. I'd like more turquoise / aqua / teal.

Turquoise Tween Bedroom - Canton, Ga · Maggiori informazioni

Contemporary Kids · Maggiori informazioni
    Here is a black painted bed.... Jennifer suggested black. Kind of cool....

• Natalie
    8 anni fa

Yes, I agree, I'm not a fan of that color pink, but I do like the white bed. That entire facing wall, would be a blank (pink) canvas and could be decorated a number of ways.

If you keep the furniture arrangement the same, then I think a mirror should be installed over the dresser---it will reflect light from the windows, as well as the teal drapes. :))

• Natalie
    8 anni fa

Ideas. :))

• er612
    8 anni fa

Have you chosen bedding yet? It will be much harder to find bedding to match the paint than paint to match the bedding. I would really focus on the bedding and then choose colors for your walls and furniture. Does your daughter like the last duvet that I posted? It includes both green and yellow.

BTW - I love the crib and ceiling in Brooklyn's Nursery and the bed in the Turquoise Tween Bedroom. I'm not crazy about the black furniture though.

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Natale, love the bright blank frames for displaying her art work! Very cool!

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Er, I have not chosen bedding. She likes the rainbow effect, does not like the black. I like the turquoise painted bed also. I'm wondering if I need to simplify the bedding if I paint the bed. Perhaps put the color in the bed skirt (hot pink or lime green, or a multiple color skirt?) My color inspiration is the pillow and maybe it will clash with busy bedding?

• acm
    8 anni fa

You could just go for a lot of solids, like turquoise bed (and curtains), pink dresser, green quilt -- each element a different color, but each one color, with the exception of the cat pillow and any art you add, or maybe a rug. That seems mostly likely to combine colorful with... sane. :)

acrubendall ha ringraziato acm
  • zzmom40
    8 anni fa
    Wow you are thinking way to hard about this...think simple blocks of color..to much going on in prints will take away from a fresh look. The pillow and maybe fresh large print curtains..keep the rest white and pick three colors and just keep repeating the throughout the room..think simple!
    acrubendall ha ringraziato zzmom40
  • zzmom40
    8 anni fa
    Founds these great drapes on Halfpricedrapes.com bedding on walmart.com..comforter set comes in a couple different combinations of color..pick your bedding and drapes first than pick accent wall color.
    acrubendall ha ringraziato zzmom40
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

zzmom, I have teal and blue curtains already purchased. I did that a while back, and would like to use them. I agree, I don't want too many prints. I would like to have my lime green mirror with rhinestone accents be a focus, and of course the hot pink wall. I love the kitty pillow too, and don't want it to get lost. The bedding has got me thrown, and what to paint the furniture.

• zzmom40
    8 anni fa
    Get your wall painted add your teal drapes..do your mirror..after that you will have a better visual of what is needed in the room..sometimes you have to work in layers. Sometimes it is good to repeat the color in drapes into the bedding. Are the drapes solis teal?
  • acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

The drapes are in the original picture I posted under the pillow.

• er612
    8 anni fa

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I think I may go with this comforter, hotlips or razzle dazzle paint color (one wall or all walls), white furniture, lime green mirror with teal and lime green rhinestone embellishments, teal and blue curtains. I will also paint the lamp bases I have hot pink also. I may add a hot pink or teal bed skirt. Depending on whether I do all the walls the hot pink or decide to do white or neutral Nimbus, I may paint the drawers on the dresser.

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I like that also er. It has more white, which might be a good think if we paint the entire room the hot pink, or if I do the lighter blue on the other 3 walls.

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I just need to work in layers like zzmom said and get that pink up on at least one wall, paint the white furniture, hang the curtains, and get the mirror done. That will take some time, and hopefully I can figure out the other 3 walls and ceiling once that pink wall is up. I have a lot to do!

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Any suggestions as to what this light gray wall color is in the background of this picture? and perhaps trim white color?

• er612
    8 anni fa

If you go with the chevron bedding, I would paint the ceiling pink as opposed to the walls. Then paint the walls nimbus or cotton ball. This will balance the room and allow you to paint the bed pretty much any color.

• Natalie
    8 anni fa

Check Bluebellgray for fabulous linen options. :))

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

That's a great site! What do you think of this?

Wondering if it's too grown up? I will have to ask her... I love it!

• zzmom40
    8 anni fa
    Would not be my choice for a five year old..that is teen or college student looking...
  • zzmom40
    8 anni fa
    Super simple! super bold! super fun!
    Your cat pillow would look great on this bed and you can add your blocks of bright colors with your mirror project and a bright colorful lamp.
  • acm
    8 anni fa

I love it!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    8 anni fa

This is a lot of design thought for a 5 year old and I think this is more for mom than the 5 year old. I have kids and we did their rooms with a design and they hated it. I totally agree we were stuck on doing what looked good to us.

Took them to Lowes and let them pick out the colors they wanted. Did the same with accys and they are happy little kids. Do I love it??? NO, but it is their room and not my design project. All your 5year old is thinking is when does this end I just want to play in my room. Sorry, been there.

• acrubendall
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I hear you wannabath. She is kind of picky and really wants what she wants. I just don't want to mess it up. She enjoys her room now. I want it to reflect her more, and be a place she loves. I do obsess over these things. I want to make a decision and stick to it. Thanks for the advice!
  • PRO
    Moumou
    8 anni fa

Hello from Italy

Have you checked our web site and products?

We will be shortly available in US...

Best wishes

http://www.houzz.it/photos/query/moumou/nqrwns

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".