Houzz Logo Print
finndian

I have this giant console in my small dining room

Paul F.
8 anni fa

I was keeping an eye for something more in scale for the room but when I found this slim wine cooler I realized it would fit in this weird little alcove I have in the dining room. So I slid the furniture over close to the wall and the cooler fit perfectly... height, depth. That right side corner has always been a problem because of the little alcove for the electrical panel and I wondered what to do with it.

Now with the wine cooler in place I could have a piece of stone fabricated (or use the kitchen counter material) for a top on the cooler and have it cantilever out into and fill the corner. I would use it as a little bar alcove with bottles and glasses.

Is this a good design or should I just get a smaller cabinet? Thanks in advance!

Commenti (236)

• User
    8 anni fa

My apologies, I thought it was an error code, thought we were having tech problems with the yearbook, lol.

Paul F. ha ringraziato User
  • drdeb1234
    8 anni fa
    Crossed posts!
    Paul F. ha ringraziato drdeb1234
  • Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I did just watch "Straight out of Compton" so it may be that er612 is Eric (Erica) representing Minneapolis here on houzz. :)

By the way that movie was robbed of a best picture nomination! It is great.

• User
    8 anni fa

Lol, if I'd known how good you are at photoshop, I'd have recruited you for the yearbook last year, lol.

• babophz
    8 anni fa

This is too funny!

Paul F. ha ringraziato babophz
  • Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I'll photoshop for you any day!

• User
    8 anni fa

Well... I have a new dilemma...

https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/carry-on-usa-dsvw-vd~3627474

maybe you can do something original .

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I'll mull that one over! There's a difference between being clever and being good at photoshop! However, I can do a convincing photoshop of you chatting with Beyonce' in the front row at Paris Fashion week. :D

• er612
    8 anni fa

Woman. Close…Elizabeth. :)

Paul F. ha ringraziato er612
  • User
    8 anni fa

Elizabeth Regina!! We are in the presence of Royalty!

• User
    8 anni fa

A chicken with Beyonce, I'd like to see that!!

• User
    8 anni fa

Chook looks like your new dilemma got flagged already?? Who's feathers got ruffled?

• User
    8 anni fa

Which one, doll? I put up one, on three countries sites today.

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks for your help Elizabeth of Minneapolis!

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Now, I have started another design dilemma about this next subject. Since we've talked art here already and most are now aware I am somewhat "scale" challenged in terms of design, what with huge consoles, giant lamps, etc. This crowd might have a better understanding of the potential problem of everything here being too BIG.

I'm thinking about this tall photo for my stairwell. It is 90 inches tall and this is the only place I could fit it. Its photoshopped on to the wall as I do not own it yet so be honest. Is it too big?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-love-this-90-tall-photo-but-can-only-fit-it-here-dsvw-vd~3628658

• User
    8 anni fa

Finndian, there are some Houzzers who can tell you precise rules for measurements. Me, I break most of them, lol.

That's because our decorating theme, shabby shriek ye olde worlde, MCM - neo medieval , renaissance revival , etc., allows for total chaos.

what is the link?

• drdeb1234
    8 anni fa
    I think it's sort of too big. But looks fabulous!
    If that makes any sense. I think it's just a matter of tossing out the rules in this case! Gutsy and interesting.
  • drdeb1234
    8 anni fa
    Wow. Really wow.
    But I think it's "hung" too high. Since moving it at this point seems easy enough, could you try it lower?
  • Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

• User
    8 anni fa

Do you think she has lost her contact lense?

• decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

More likely hunting porcupines!

Paul F. ha ringraziato decoenthusiaste
  • drdeb1234
    8 anni fa
    Definitely looks better lower. Might need to be lower still.
    I guess you need to "see it" from the lower level as well to get a sense of that.
  • indomom
    8 anni fa

Absolutely beautiful. If it breaks any rules--break 'em!!

Paul F. ha ringraziato indomom
  • User
    8 anni fa

Deco, don't you normally know the rules for this type of measurement thing?

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks drdeb, the figure will be visible from most of the downstair living area but visitors will have to walk right to the bottom of the stairs to see the whole upper portion. Lower is better. My only worry was someone stumbling on the stairs and falling into it. It will be plexi so the person won't get hurt more the art. Insurance I guess! Still contemplating the purchase. Thanks or the feedback everyone!

• decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Well, the logical measurement is for the center point of the piece to be 5' above the floor which would lower it in regard to the windows, which I like to do. Try that, more or less.

• User
    8 anni fa

I was hoping you would come along. Did you find yourself on the honour roll in the yearbook? In the Heres To Us article.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

I don't even know where to find the year book? Send me a link - love to peruse it!

• drdeb1234
    8 anni fa
    That's an odd worry finndian. Are your friends particularly prone to stumbling into your artwork? I have lots of artwork hung at stumble-into level, and it's never been a problem
  • User
    8 anni fa

It should be alright, its only a small wine cooler ;)

• User
    8 anni fa

Deco, Hal and I put out two threads about it on Christmas Day, you might have been away. Its for all Houzzers. Any trouble opening it, let me know

https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/launch-of-houzzer-2015-yearbook-dsvw-vd~3573073

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I have a root top deck at the top of the stairs and what I picture in my mind is a guest at a party that has had a drink or two has a misstep heading down to the bathroom. I don't know any drunks but it could happen! The Mike Kelley Abuse report is above the console, a little too high specifically to keep it away from anything that could damage it accidentally. I'm actually looking forward to having it framed to protect it.

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

deco, 5' above the lower part of the landing is right at the bottom of the window so that is too high. I've pretty much split the difference top and bottom (to upper landing) in this pic.

• drdeb1234
    8 anni fa

That looks good. And the rooftop party thing makes sense.

And im guessing it a pretty expensive piece?

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Its not too bad but still an investment. It will have UV plexiglass over it but I'm going to coat the heck out of the skylight and glass door with UV coatings. I'm very cautious obviously.

• drdeb1234
    8 anni fa

Tell me about this uv coating thing. Is it a window film you're referring to?

• Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

There are spray-on liquids that give glass a UV coating as well has UV films. Nothing worse than seeing sun faded art work at auction.

• drdeb1234
    8 anni fa

Really. Never heard of that! I did recently have barely tinted window film applied to my living room window, after replacing my dried out leather sofa. Now, in my foyer, I have concerns about light coming through a transom window fading my record album gallery (an original Patridge Family album seems to be in a particularly vulnerable spot. Wouldn't want to guess how much THAT would be worth!!)

It doesn't seem worth calling the window film people in for, so this spray on thing sounds intriguing...

if you have a brand to recommend, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for the info

• decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Really enjoyed the yearbook, chookchook2 - what a lot of hard work you all did!

• nicoleautogrill
    8 anni fa
    Before you do anything drastic, first try centering the art piece over the cabinet vs the wall. Also balance both lamps equally off of each edge. This should fool the eye and put less emphasis on the off centered cabinet
    I would than find two identical prints or photos and hang one in the alcove above the wine cooler and the other one on the opposite wall. Creating a mirror image. Fooling the eye and causing visual harmony.
    Paul F. ha ringraziato nicoleautogrill
  • User
    8 anni fa

Deco, you can't have read all that already, lol!

• User
    8 anni fa

Nicole, I advise you to read the whole thread.

• babophz
    8 anni fa

Morning! I thought I'd just stay here, instead of moving to the other thread. I think that big artwork looks absolutely fantastic. Once again a wonderful piece. If UV coating is your only worry, I'd say go for it! I would try to align either top or bottom with an existing horizontal line, like the artwork on the left wall.

Paul F. ha ringraziato babophz
  • Kivi
    8 anni fa
    In the right space I really like the look of large art pieces on walls. I think yours will look fantastic in your staircase. Love it!
    Paul F. ha ringraziato Kivi
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Well, I admit I didn't go to all the music links, but I can speed read - took a class back in the day! I appreciate being nominated for an honor and agree with the winning selections! As for finndian's art, in another location I would want it to be closer to the floor than to the ceiling, but here, maybe not so important.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 anni fa

if you dont buy that painting and hang it there, Ill be mad at you :)

Paul F. ha ringraziato flair lighting
  • Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Its a photo... I have started negotiations! :)

• nicoleautogrill
    8 anni fa
    Missed that comment, glad it all worked out for you.
    Paul F. ha ringraziato nicoleautogrill
  • PRO
    Reach Design
    8 anni fa

Ok after you buy it. I want to know who the artist is, please.

Paul F. ha ringraziato Reach Design
  • Paul F.
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

The artist is Ryan McGinley. I posted a pic of the work in my stairwell just now in another dilemma posting. The white frame is the artists choice and I kind of like it better... take a look!

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-love-this-90-tall-photo-but-can-only-fit-it-here-dsvw-vd~3628658[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/i-love-this-90-tall-photo-but-can-only-fit-it-here-dsvw-vd~3628658)

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".