Houzz Logo Print
burrowesedm

ugly fireplace

burrowesedm
8 anni fa

i want to update our dining room/family room. Any suggestions on this fireplace wall?

Commenti (9)

• Darzy
    8 anni fa

Can you show us the nearby area and furniture to determine your preferred design style?

• holly98
    8 anni fa

Just by looking at the photo, I'd paint it the entire wall one color. Use the shelves for books and photos with the top shelves for taller objects/books. Art needs to be higher above fireplace.

burrowesedm ha ringraziato holly98
  • PRO
    Atlantis Granite and Marble
    8 anni fa

Agreed. Paint the whole wall. Your artwork should always center at eye level.

burrowesedm ha ringraziato Atlantis Granite and Marble
  • PRO
    jba collective
    8 anni fa

I think it's a very nice fireplace! Check out FLW's Meyer May or Robbie House fireplaces. I'd use the bottom two niches for nicely stacked wood, and reframe the upper shelves in a fresh birch (something lighter and fresh). If you're feeling ambitious I'd plaster and paint the horizontal course of brick a bold color.

burrowesedm ha ringraziato jba collective
  • PRO
    McIntyre Cresswell Design Group Inc.
    8 anni fa

If your budget allows for it, remove all the brick and shelving and start from scratch. There are so many styles to choose from.

Example - Here is a beautiful French Country style surround made from concrete.

burrowesedm ha ringraziato McIntyre Cresswell Design Group Inc.
  • Susan Davis
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

What do you want the room to 'feel' like when you say updated? Modern, MCM, country, tuscan? A good idea is to Houzz family rooms with fireplaces to get some great photo ideas? That will give you a vision and you can have a bit more concrete idea/s of what you want and what your budget will be!

Traditional

Project in Tiburon · Maggiori informazioni

Transitional

Custom Build Home · Maggiori informazioni

Monochromatic

Hillsborough Classic Tudor · Maggiori informazioni

Rustic

Hunter's Creek Farm · Maggiori informazioni
    Modern
    Parkwoods Home · Maggiori informazioni

Boho Chic

Wordly in Los Altos · Maggiori informazioni

burrowesedm ha ringraziato Susan Davis
  • burrowesedm
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

what is the best method for painting fireplace brick allowing for the heat?

• Susan Davis
    8 anni fa

I think any paint would work? Google it and see what comes up. I have always used a semi gloss generally two coats.

burrowesedm ha ringraziato Susan Davis
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".