Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_j

Kitchen splashback

stephanie_j
8 anni fa

Hello,

We bought a new build flat and the kitchen is not in a style I would ever have chosen. I really dislike black granite but alas it is here to stay. I am desperate to bring some colour on the wall and plan to remove the stainless steel backsplash. I have looked at so many pictures over the last few months but keep changing my mind. After contemplating wallpaper and glass, painted glass splashback, I am now pretty set on tiles (going all the way to the ceiling). I love pattern but worry I will get tired of the Moroccan style I am obsessed with right now. Tiling is a messy and pricey job so it would have to be pretty future-proof. I have long loved metro tiles but their ubiquity has put me off slightly, however I am now considering them in green (lots of green in the room). Somehow I'm still unsure, glazed or not, bevelled-edge or not....

Any advice and suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thank you,

Stephanie

Commenti (21)

• Nancy Ingram
    8 anni fa
    I would look at green glass subway tile but with dark grout to tie in countertop.
    stephanie_j ha ringraziato Nancy Ingram
  • PRO
    Giz Design Studio LLC
    8 anni fa

http://www.louisebody.com/shop/Wallpaper/Paper_Tiles/Dahlia

They make wallpapers that look like tile. Way less mess and not such an expense if you tire of it.

stephanie_j ha ringraziato Giz Design Studio LLC
  • PRO
    Giz Design Studio LLC
    8 anni fa

This is one of the wallpapers they make.

• User
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I would go with a glass sheet backsplash. click to enlarge

604 Acacia - Brandon Architects - Patterson Construction http://www.brandonarch · Maggiori informazioni

stephanie_j ha ringraziato User
  • Tems
    8 anni fa

You have a very nice modern kitchen. I would not use other colors than white possibly a little gray in the backsplash to keep the simple look and not date the kitchen. Colors can be introduced through items on the counter and table.

I would use matte tile here to contrast the glossy cabinets and counter. To me simple white matte subway tile would be enough to bring interest and warmth to the kitchen, but the very subtle variations in texture and color of handmade tiles could add to that even more.

stephanie_j ha ringraziato Tems
  • PRO
    Brick & Mortar Photography LLC
    8 anni fa

I would definitely use a matte or textured backsplash tile. The cabinets already present in the kitchen have a high sheen so it would be nice to counteract that. Also, you don't want the kitchen to feel sterile.

With everything being single toned and a stark contrast, I think having a pattern would be very successful in the space. Personally I think a Blue Arabesque Tile will give you the Moroccan feel you want but with a modern take so it can be a little more timeless.

You can see what I am talking about here.

stephanie_j ha ringraziato Brick & Mortar Photography LLC
  • lucidos
    8 anni fa

As you may be aware there is paint-able wallpaper. Given some basic skills and an artist brush you can add additional colors to it to suit your preferences. It can be painted over as your tastes change. Or removed in favor of tile. You can incorporate different patterns and frame out the alternate pattern for the stove area too.

This will allow you to go with the choice of Moroccan and see how it sits with you in a year.

stephanie_j ha ringraziato lucidos
  • PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    8 anni fa

Here is a photo of one of our designs. Perhaps it will inspire you?

Saturated FourSquare · Maggiori informazioni

stephanie_j ha ringraziato Bayberry Cottage
  • stephanie_j
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thank you all for your replies (and for the visualiser picture, Nancy). I have come to the conclusion that tiling is definitely the way I want to go. I had considered a glass splashback but I am not that keen on any I have seen in situ, I find them too one-dimensional and cold somehow. As for wallpaper, It was a strong contender for a while as it is so versatile (like the tiled or textured paintable ones suggested) but as I plan to remove the stainless steel splashback behind the cooker, I would have to protect it with glass, again not so keen on that. I will definitely go for the matte tiles as suggested, I want to add texture and colour, I feel the kitchen is unfinished the way it is. I will be ordering samples of arabesque tiles (I considered white ones with coloured grout but worried it would look outdated very quickly), and the humble metro tile, both flat and bevelled. I might try a herringbone pattern with smaller tiles, too (white, grey-veined ones are so pretty). However much I love patterned tiles, I think it might give them a miss, I think I might get bored of them too quickly. Again, thank you for all the suggestions, I am still very conflicted (colour, texture) but feel a little closer to making a decision ;)

Have a lovely Sunday,

Stephanie

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    8 anni fa

A lot of people change their mind about these things. Paint is the easiest and cheapest to deal with in this case. You can even have a mural artist paint a faux look tile. If you are artistic yourself, you can do it!

stephanie_j ha ringraziato Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • stephanie_j
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Yes, Elaine, you're right. This is what worries me and why I haven't made a decision yet. I change my mind a lot, I keep tweaking things from one day to the next! I even considered using stick-on vinyl tiles. I found a company that does beautiful, realistic ones but I worried it might look tacky. Paint would be easier and was my first choice but I want to add texture, hence the tiles....I have been undecisive about this for over a year, which is unusual for me but I don't want to make costly mistakes. Not to mention my partner, who has no interest in interior design, has a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" approach, which means I'd have to live with whatever I choose for a long time!

• teamaltese
    8 anni fa
    You need to paint then! Small can should cover the area, and for a couple of hours work, you can change it at whim.
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    8 anni fa

Consider a vertical accent behind the range.

stephanie_j ha ringraziato Jillian - Interior design student
  • stephanie_j
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

New wave enterprise- that's gorgeous, exactly what I had in mind!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 anni fa

Peel and press vinyl mosaic for a short term solution

• PRO
    New wave Enterprise
    8 anni fa

you are welcome stephanie.... if you would like to receive our factory prices please drop us an email at info@mosaics-tiles.com

• bedfordmom1
    8 anni fa
    I have the same type of kitchen and we are putting in a porcelain tile that looks like old Chicago brick giving it both texture and some color.mit also ties in the white, black and red of the cherry Brazilian floor
  • Chelsea Barnum
    8 anni fa
    Maybe something like this
  • PRO
    Design To Fit Interiors, Inc.
    8 anni fa

i love the colour combinations ..truly beautiful!

• PRO
    SoWhat-design
    8 anni fa

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".