Houzz Logo Print
jr212

Need help with an area rug

jr212
8 anni fa

I am shopping for a new area rug to go with sectional (the pillows have shades of tan, grey, blue, cream, and white). I am thinking this one just doesn't work well with the floors and walls. I think it may be too cool of a shade. Repainting is not an option at the moment due to cathedral ceilings. What do you think would look best to keep a classy, yet comfortable LR - dark rug, light textured rug, etc? I have purchased many smaller rugs to put down to see how it looks but nothing seems to be the right one. I'm tempted to give up and just keep this one. Any suggestions?

Commenti (38)

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

that rug works.

its just that you have nothing on the walls, no accent tables or lighting and no coffee table.. so the poor rug is all exposed lol. also try adding some more pillows. honestly i think its the wall color you are fighting.

jr212 ha ringraziato User
  • jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks to both of you. Yes, it is quite the lonely rug at the moment. I wanted to see which rug I ended up with before shopping for tables (and lamps, and mirror or pictures, etc). Barbara, I will try moving the rug further in this weekend to see how that looks, thanks for the suggestion. Flair Lighting, I think you may be right about the wall color but I won't be able to change that until sometime next year. Would you suggest a lighter wall color or a darker one?

• Maureen
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I think the rug looks nice and agree about moving it down and over. I think if you bring in some caramel, ivory and and blue vs using grey pillows, it may make the rug feel less cool and also better compliment the warm hue in the wall color.

Channel Islands, CA · Maggiori informazioni
    JLA Harbor House Miramar Cotton Square Pillow, Blue · Maggiori informazioni

Bird Watch Caramel, Hand-Printed Linen Pillow · Maggiori informazioni

Ecru Jute Flowers Pillows Cover, Cotton Blend 18x18 Pillows Cover, Jute Flowers · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I am glad to see that you also like the rug, Maureen. I guess I just wasn't seeing it clearly or was distracted by the wall color. I think your picture looks beautiful and I will definitely have to look for additional pillows to accent.

• User
    8 anni fa
    The wall color has warm undertones( yellow) while your sofa has cool. A lighter, greyer color would look great. Also when you push your rug under the sofa can you pull the sofa away from the wall about a foot. A console table with lamps would work well behind your sofa or a cool modern arc lamp in the corner.
  • jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Sandy, I was thinking I may need a console table behind the sofa. That's another idea I will definitely try.

Flair, I love many of the images on your idea board. I was also thinking I may need to go for a glass table but I actually really like the ones you included. Do you know where they came from? Also, I was trying to avoid pulling yellow into the pillows since I don't love the paint but I guess I need to work with what I have so I will look into those, too.

• PRO
    Victoria Lee Home
    8 anni fa

I like the rug. I think it does need to be re-positioned. Make sure you warm the space with a wood tone coffee table and some throw pillows with this blue mixed with some warmer tones. Finishing off the space with a great piece of art above the sofa and a nice valance should pull it together nicely.

• Maureen
    8 anni fa

If you want more of a classy look, I'm not sure if yellow will give that feel - unless you select very traditional patterns/shades in more of a mustard, but I would bring home lots of pillows and test them out, but bring in the wall color as much as you can as well. Some ideas for you, but I may be way off what you are looking for.

Yellow Scroll Trellis Custom Euro Sham · Maggiori informazioni
    Acrylic Abstract Painting Large Original - 36x48 - Brown,Yellow,Turquoise · Maggiori informazioni
    Uttermost Warring Iron Coffee Table · Maggiori informazioni

Contemporary French Gold Crossing Accent Side Table · Maggiori informazioni

Whythe Table Lamp · Maggiori informazioni

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

It looks like I am going pillow shopping this weekend instead of rug shopping. Pillows are much more fun anyways!

Question - since everyone seems to be in agreement that I need to reposition the rug (this is my first area rug), how much further should I move it under the sofa? Would I be better off with a 5 x 8 or will this 8 x 10 look ok with a lot under the sofa?

• houssaon
    8 anni fa

I think you need a larger rug, but you could try just moving the sectional out from the walls in both directions by sic inches. That will make a big difference.

• User
    8 anni fa
    I wouldn't obsess over pillows. You see that all the time on Houzz. It's fun to shop for, but really not all that necessary as there are dozens to choose. Get your key pieces, then accessorize last. Make sure you have your couch, coffee table, area rug, lamps, window treatments, two coordinating accent chairs, then pull in your favorite color with art and pillows and a fun throw for texture and warmth.
  • PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

pull the rug out so just the front feet are resting on it.

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

also I think pillows, art and lamps are on the list... I would first figure out what you are putting on the wall before pillows.

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I thought I was supposed to pull it further under the sofa so I am glad I asked. Sorry, I'm a rookie at this!

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

can we see the whole room........

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I'll try to take more pics tomorrow but it is just a townhome so there is not much more to the LR, unfortunately.

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

the other side lol and looking back from the couch...there is more lol.

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

Q - do pillows and sofa have a linen-oatmeal look? If so that's more warm than cool I think. [Rug certainly a cool tone.] There's nothing not classy about linen/ or linen tone. Nice ideas so far....

But when we see more of the room/ any black furniture which might communicate with grey a bit. Do you like the rug and cost of, etc?

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

Gray Harrington Small 5'x8' Rug · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

Dynamic Rugs Ancient Garden 9'6"x6'7" Area Rug · Maggiori informazioni

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Yes, the sofa and pillows do have a linen-oatmeal look to them. Thanks for your rug ideas. I had been avoiding anything with yellow in it but maybe I should embrace it to a certain point.

I have some old pictures of the room but they had old (unattractive) furniture in it so I didn't want to send that. I'm basically working with a blank slate, replacing all of the tables and lamps and adding in artwork. I have a dinning room table that is almost a cherry wood color but I it does not really compete at all.

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

jr, I don't understand your last comment about your cherry set... if it's an open concept, this beautiful rug might echo the cherry tone. I personally think another rug than grey seems good... unless you love its feel, design, price.

Dynamic Rugs Ancient Garden 5.3X7.7 57090-1484 Red · Maggiori informazioni

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

As you said, you could avoid any yellows, even more neutral straw, caramel, amber, which folks posted above in pillows and poufs... nice. But repeating your sofa color seems necessary to me.

For that look -- If you kept the grey, I'd repeat it in a table with something like this satin nickel. The top seems to have a linen/toasty color. ?? Grey isn't great to me, but I haven't seen the rest yet. :) Whether there's more greys/ soft blacks idk.

Coast To Coast 59447 Compass Rose Cocktail Table · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    8 anni fa

I think the rug looks good but everything looks like it's to "squashed" in the corner. I would pull it all out and put a console table behind it...add some accessories and some beautiful artwork!

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I will try to post additional pics today. So the console table would be behind the "long" side of the sectional, right? Thanks again to all for the help!

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

So here are additional pics of the room. As you can see, there is not too much more to the room (at least in my opinion). The little table and lamp on the one side wall are temporary, until I find another table/shelf and wall decoration(s). I am embarrassed about the DR pic because we still have the old sofa and chair there, waiting for a relative to pick it up. I just wanted to show u that it was open and not a wall there.

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

ok, the rug is fine. dont shop for a rug. it looks great. there are other things you need to focus on here.

here is what i would strongly suggest.

turn the couch 1/4 so the long part is under the window, and the other portion is floating in front of the dining room opening.

then place the tv on the wall, centered to the wall. (where the long part of the sofa used to be.

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

Now we see, and I still think it's too contemporary cool in tone, but my opinion. The smaller the space, the more each item matters. It is fine, but reduces flexibility. A rug a bit more like your sofa / deeper / would be ideal.

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

But a question - does your rug actually have blue in it? blue-grey... hey maybe better.

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Sorry that I was gone for a little bit. I'm still working on my LR. Flair, we considered moving the sectional that way but it just won't work that way (not enough room for a walkway to DR. My big question now is simply what is the correct placement of the rug? Some said pull it further out, some said further under the sofa. Is the 8x10 rug too big or the right size? I had also brought home this smaller 5x8 rug, just to see the color (so it's not under the feet). Is this one too small? I assumed it was but am confused now.

• izeve
    8 anni fa

Definitely the larger rug! And I would pull it out a bit from under the sofa.

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks for the guidance. Pull it out in both directions?

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

have the rug so the feet of the sofa are on it...looks like about 6 inches under the couch... pull it forward 5 in that case.

• everdebz
    8 anni fa

Is newer rug a purple?

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    8 anni fa

This photo with the rug under the couch might help.

Old Meets New Build · Maggiori informazioni

• jr212
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks to everyone for the help. The other rug was actually a dark grey (almost black) with a very subtle white design in it. I had wanted to see how I liked a darker color rug but they only had a 5x8 in stock so I just brought it home to see the color. Now that I have a better idea on how to place the rug, I can proceed with the rest of the room. Thanks again

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".