Houzz Logo Print
jacey_eve

Ideas to make a concrete retaining wall less ugly?

Jacey Eve
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

How to plant or pretty up a concrete retaining wall?

Just talking about the wall at the front of that shot. It is made up of concrete blocks that lock into each other. There is soil in behind the wall, and shows through the gaps. So I was thinking about perhaps planting something that is okay with shallowish roots (I don't know gardening stuff, so pardon my assumptions!!). Google gave me the idea of a kind of thyme. That looked pretty in the pictures. Haha.
Or...there is some ivy kind of vine that is growing on a wall that is perpendicular to this one (it is in a position that's more shaded throughout the day). But if there is a vine that would give nice coverage across this larger expanse of south-facing wall??
There is so much of this retaining wall on our property, it makes up the front fence too. Would love some ideas on what to do with it. That aren't pricey!! (dreaming, right?)

Located on Central Coast NSW. Soil is kinda clay-y.

Commenti (24)

• PRO
    Concept Products
    8 anni fa

How about clad it with a timber look-a-like panel like Millboard. No maintenance as it has no timber.

• PRO
  • PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I've used a plant called 'pig face' (Carpobrotus glaucescens) its a succulent that will grow to drape down over the surface of the wall. Green all the year round with vivid flowers in season. You can get it in several different colours.

Jacey Eve ha ringraziato anewhouse.com.au
  • bigreader
    8 anni fa
    Pig face is a fab idea with a row of Cousin It above. Both natives, both easy to grow. That wall covered in pigface would be eye catchingly beautiful when in flower.
    Jacey Eve ha ringraziato bigreader
  • jbantick
    8 anni fa

A good pressure clean rather than hiding it with a new material then landscape. Pig Face looks great. A native ground cover like the native daisy's would also look great. I don't find the wall ugly at all, but it is different and so much better than the usual treated pine pole jobbies I see around!

Jacey Eve ha ringraziato jbantick
  • PRO
    Romany Lambert Garden Design
    8 anni fa

You could plant a hedge in front of it if you wanted to conceal this wall. Depending on where you are, tough plants like Portuguese laurels or dark privet would work. Your local nursery could advise you of plants suitable for your area.

Jacey Eve ha ringraziato Romany Lambert Garden Design
  • Kerrie Langloy7
    8 anni fa

Yes plant it up. I have a retaining wall like this & created a vertical garden with it. Mine is much taller than yours but i bought a vertical garden kit & planted it up & now it looks fantastic.

• kooky_karen
    8 anni fa

Have to agree with others - pig face.

• Jacey Eve
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks everyone! Pig face looks like a winner for sure. Nice and hardy too, which is good because... well just not a green thumb (yet!). I might look at the cousin it for the front wall. I would love to have a mix of succulents like that picture from @dohraime but not sure i could afford it at this stage. hopefully pig face is so hardy i can spread it around with cuttings.

And @jbantick I agree really, different to what is everywhere else is definitely a winning feature to me. Must find a mate with a water pressure cleaner! :)

• denisemander
    8 anni fa

Succulents grow from pieces so are quite cost effective over time, keep an eye on Gumtree and purchase from garage sales and fêtes. Break off new growth and replant. I am sure your friends and rellies would have some growing as well.

Jacey Eve ha ringraziato denisemander
  • mischiefdebs
    8 anni fa

Hi Jacey. How about making a feature wall out of it? Choose succulents (or similar plants that are hardy) and paint the wall in a contrasting colour such as magenta or charcoal. Done correctly, it could be a real showstopper.

Jacey Eve ha ringraziato mischiefdebs
  • andyrooz
    8 anni fa
    Star jasmine worth a look for cascading green and scented flowers
    Jacey Eve ha ringraziato andyrooz
  • PRO
    A to Z Handyman Services
    8 anni fa
    We did a job recently here in Victoria, similar concrete retaining wall. We used concrete paint, actually driveway paint to paint the whole wall. It's changed the appearance so much and looked great. Customer was very pleased with outcome..

A to Z Handyman Services
    Jacey Eve ha ringraziato A to Z Handyman Services
  • mizpetal
    8 anni fa

Make sure you pop some good soil in there and part of it can be a lovely little vertical herb garden.

Jacey Eve ha ringraziato mizpetal
  • PRO
  • telperien
    8 anni fa
    Myoporum would also work well - forms a mat of green with dainty white flowers.
    Jacey Eve ha ringraziato telperien
  • Jacey Eve
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Would myoporum be happy going on a fairly vertical wall? All the google pictures seem to have it looking like a useful coverage, I can think of other places to put it in the garden for sure! But not sure how it'd go on the wall. Maybe I'm just looking forward to getting pigface.

Cheers! :)

• bigreader
    8 anni fa
    Myoporum will be fine on the vertical. You can get one with pink little flowers now instead of the just white.
  • telperien
    8 anni fa

Jacey, my myoporum is trailing over a small retaining wall, it should be fine.

• bigreader
    8 anni fa
    Jacey, Google Ruby Cascade plant. Related to myoporum but more cascade-y.
  • 7weed1
    8 anni fa
    Good soil + strawberries and herbs + pig face + myoporum purpureum + succulent/cacti + paint a beautiful colour (with excellent surface preparation). All and any of those will take interesting but ordinary, which you currently have, to gorgeous and eyecatching.
    Go for it! May the force be with you! ;-)
  • User
    8 anni fa

Another sci Fi fan , you bewtay!!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".