Houzz Logo Print
ingypeters

Granite Help

ingypeters
8 anni fa

Hi,I have a white granite countertop (not marble) that has started to discolour around the edges. I've had a few "experts" look at pictures but nobody can help. The area that is discoloured is slightly darker. It has occurred around the edge on the side of the island that has has the most use - where the kids sit and touch the edges. On the side of the island that has little use, there is no staining. It is not a glue issue. Also, the darker, discoloured area is still shiny.

Any advice on how to remove the discolouration?

Commenti (9)

• chispa
    8 anni fa

Is someone cleaning the counter by spraying cleaning products on the edge and onto the underside that is not protected?

• ingypeters
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

No cleaning products used other than warm water and a dry towel

• karin_mt
    8 anni fa

Someone else had that same problem, maybe a year ago or so? I can't remember the thread title though. The stone is called White Macaubus and searching that might help find it. Also, it's quartzite, not granite, but it's an awesome stone. I don't think the other person ever found a resolution or even a cause to this problem. Good luck - I hope you can figure it out!

• practigal
    8 anni fa

Ci_lantro thanks for that link!

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 anni fa

That appears to be, as the link above suggests, simply moisture in the stone. All natural stones are porous, and Macaubas is no exception. Use less water when cleaning perhaps. Potentially a cleaner rather than water. Method makes a stone safe cleaner that works well.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 anni fa

This is contamination from use. Get a poultice from a stone supplier and follow the instructions. May take several applications; good luck.

• ingypeters
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Yes, it's definitely not moisture as we've dried it for weeks - while away on vacation and it was still there. Will try the poultice for a supplier. Tried a homemade one and it wasn't as successful.

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    4 anni fa

Yes this an oil stain to the granite, all white granites will show a grey stain from it. Joseph has advised how to remove.

Though you will need to seal the stone to stop it coming back.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".