Houzz Logo Print
webuser_6100

1960 Ranch Style house with planter box.

Okay so my husband and I bought this mild fixer upper I say mild because the house is in great condition except a couple of update remodeling projects. We have this planter box in front of our house and the brick is eroding away and I am seeking advise on what to do with it..... take it out or reface it with something please help needing help.......I am wanting to improve curb appeal and this is a really eye sore. Thank you Kim

Commenti (31)

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 anni fa

I would take it out. It will then allow you to make a curvy planting area. It will look much less harsh. Congrats on your new home.

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

Go ahead and take it out, it opens you to much more creative options for your curve appeal. With that brick house front you could replace the brick planter with a wooden one, or just go straight to the ground and use plants to create the look you want

• User
    8 anni fa

Take it out.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

remove it and replace with something like this, I would run that wood slatting to right up under the windw very different look with the black planters

• texasboykin
    8 anni fa
    Take it out if it's crumbly already. You don't want dirt up against the brick face of your house anyways unless there is a moisture barrier between them. Plant an evergreen shrub to the right of window and then use lower 3' or lower evergreens in front of window. In front of window you can use color ie barberry, or something veriagated.
  • havingfun
    8 anni fa

I am shy because you have not told us direction or the garden zone. In FL, I had one that was wider, could not get a darn thing to grow in it. I even planted wild flowers that were considered weeds by everyone else, they grew everywhere but not there. Because of the narrowness of your bed you are not going to be able to do most of the things listed. If it is just a matter of repointing that might be easiest. In FL I finally figured it out. Bromeliads worked great, never watered, they just grew and multiplied. Up here, Delaware, I have a bed that might be a foot wide, if i am lucky, it too has serious going to fall apart problems. We are repointing, that is when you stick stuff back between the bricks to hold them together. it faces west, which is super hot and dry in the summer. Gets the majority of the snow in the winter. I rarely get to water, I have mums from the lady before which hopefully we are finally going to move (they are really to big for where they are.) I have thyme, falls over the edge, very pretty, treadwell, same thing, Rosemary on one side and a french tarragon on the other. I can not remove it because it is part of the stair case to the front door.

They are doing very well. Oh and there are a few spring bulbs stuck in.

• stewy2you
    8 anni fa
    Take it out and put in something more modern. Garden design centers have great ideas and then use their ideas and build it yourself.
  • suezbell
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

If you believe you might like the boxier shape, perhaps with some ivy hanging down, but object to the current condition of the brick -- or at least don't object to the current shape -- and unless you actually want to rip up some of the paving stones in front of it and decrease the size of and/or completely redo that walk as well to change the shape of it, consider...

First (wearing clothes you wouldn't mind throwing away) pour a couple inches of the thicker (less likely to splash) bleach in a shallow dish pan and, with a soft bristled broom (one with those "dust" feathered ends on the plastic straws or a soft bristled brush), try bleaching a few of the stones to see how that changes the look, leaving the bleach own for a few minutes before hosing it off..

Also, check on the price of two other options: pressure washed or sandblasted.

The next option would be to go ahead and take it out.

If you do remove the brick, at least consider adding your choice of plants without adding any other kind of wall or other vertical border; just let the existing walkway be the boundary.

• Emily Walley
    8 anni fa

Paint and plant. If falling apart it might tear up pacers when removing. But container gardens in its place. Ask brick guy. No charge for estimates to repair or replace

• havingfun
    8 anni fa

i want to make sure you understand the top row is not falling apart, it is designed to look that way. Kinda shabby chick or industrial. i am not nutty about the idea of coating it with stucco, that will probably require more care. if pretty plants drape over you will not notice that rough edge and you can grow an entire herb garden in there.

• texasboykin
    8 anni fa
    Havingfun had a great idea if you plan to keep it. But if you do keep it pull all the old dirt out of it and put fresh landscaping soil in it. I have redone many of old planter like that and the soil was old, hard as a rock and had no nutritional value left in it. Thyme and Rosemary are beautiful falling over a pot. So it oregano. Not sure where you are located but there are different kinds of beautiful succulents that drape over also. Then add spots of color.
  • havingfun
    8 anni fa

I do not want to argue with tex, but I have never had that problem, I just make sure that the hole i put them in provides a good beginning, as the plant adapts.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    8 anni fa

Redo it with new stones. Here is the photo in progress what we are doing...

• texasboykin
    8 anni fa
    Beautiful job celery girl. It's very well done. Kudos!
  • texasboykin
    8 anni fa
    Having fun, I never argue. Just after 20 yrs of landscaping I have always put new soil in my customers old planters. But as I mentioned, a lot are hard as a rock. Plants tend to do better in a nutrient rich soil. If the soil was a few years old or I could at least turn it with a spade I would add compost and mix it in. If she wants to plant herbs, she might consider using a n organic soil. Just saying.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    8 anni fa

This is too far along to repair and finding a brick to match is next to impossible. It's important to know what part of the country you live in because, You can put a skim coat of cement to flush the surface of the wall and install a cultured stone veneer unless you live in a freeze-thaw cycle area. I doubt that the interior is water proofed and allows water to seep out therefore this would bust up the stone veneer as it did to the brick. If you take down the wall there will be dirt stains on the brick and probably damaged brick on the house. The dirt is extremely hard (impossible) to get off the brick and power washers can do some serious damage. a proper installed retaining wall system such as Belgrade will look appropriate and nice.

Good luck.

• PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    8 anni fa

The photograph seems to reveal a similar planter in the entranceway. The degree of degradation on the exterior planter is greater--is there an exposure to weather that can make the difference or is something else going on? K.O.H. has the likely answer--failure to waterproof the interior then use as a planter holding moisture. Whatever solution you adopt, remember that you must ensure a proper protection from water to maintain the structure and materials, and a proper drainage to ensure any viability as a planter. I suggest that a solution that ensures a good design fit between the two planters would be a good idea.

• tomandlora
    8 anni fa

A LOT depends upon how much you want to spend. My folks have a really long one (about 30') with stacked stone...he had a bit of work done to it about 10 years ago (house built in 50s) where the guy replaced some of the stones and straightened up the top edging on it-a couple hundred at best...then, I took out tons of soil and replaced it with fresh. No waterproofing (except the plastic edging at the corner of wall and floor of planter which just needed to be kept in place and had never rotted, shockingly) or painting was done. Of course, the planting design all depends of where you are in the country and direction it faces. I'm kind of an odd duck, though--I like the planter because it is part of the home's original brick (brick and stone, in my dad's case) 50s-60s design, so I would keep it.

• pansdaughter
    8 anni fa

I would demo the whole front (including the walkway) and have it redesigned. The planter is way too small and stuck under the roof line; both of which makes it too difficult for plants to thrive. It's typical of architects who know nothing about how plants grow or how to nestle a house into its natural surroundings. Think of this as a great opportunity to get the curb appeal you want. I would suggest you think more in terms of a courtyard instead of all the tight straight lines.

• PRO
    Stone Direct International
    8 anni fa

I think thatK.O.H. Construction Corporation's comments

are probably the most in line with my suggestion. However, here are my additional suggestions: 1) take all the dirt out of the planter and seal the walls the best you can to block or reduce moisture penetrating to the outside. 2) you might even add some strategically placed drain holes 3) don't use fake / cultured stone, it won't last, especially around humidity. 4) use real stone thin veneer - it will only add about 1 1/2" - 2" to the thickness of the existing wall. You'll need to review offerings in your area, and decide on a complimentary look as nothing is going to match the house (and you probably don't want to even try). Lots of shapes and colors are available from mother nature - long and lineal, cobble style, etc. The best part is (as long as properly installed and correct for your climate) it will be the last time you'll ever worry about it. Real stone thin veneer is just as easy to install as fake stone thin veneer, and these days, usually no more costly.

• Laura Wilson
    8 anni fa
    I think I would take it out completely and just plant some beautiful shrubs and plants . Would modernize it.
  • jtbeck
    8 anni fa
    I would embrace it. You could add curves and landscape in front of the sidewalk. This is the before and after of what we did with ours.
  • Teresa Smith
    8 anni fa

apart from the aesthetics -- I could certainly remove brick -- here is the problem with taking them away -- you don't know what you are in for with all that earth against the brick for who know how many years. Just be prepared -- The mid century brick ranch is a friendly reminder of the home I grew up in -- we had the same thing with evergreen shrubs. All the brick behind the earth was crumbly.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    8 anni fa

lots of good suggestions so far. If this is a brick rambler from 1950s/60s there's even a good possibility that it's parged block behind all that soil and not brick veneer over wood framing. We did several like that at my old job and that was the case.

I say lose the planter altogether and fine a nice stone that contrasts with the brick. As someone mentioned, you'll probably never match the brick at this point so don't even try. Good luck!

• PRO
    Stone & Land, LLC
    8 anni fa

I noticed that the brick is toothed or tied into the house, so you'd probably want to do some investigation and consult a mason on the best way to separate it from the house and what you'd have after you remove it. It might make more sense to leave it and do some sort of cosmetic change.

I also agree about looking into waterproofing inside the planter against the house, changing out the soil. There are products like Terra-Sorb that can help keep moisture in the soil and slowly release it to the plants. I'm sure this is a problem since it is underneath the eaves of the house. Really helps when its tough or too expensive to get irrigation in there and you don't want to drag a hose out there all the time. Sorry the photo is obnoxiously big

• libradesigneye
    8 anni fa

K - here's one more option to consider

Don't remove it until you are ready to redo all the walks - it is tied into the house and you will need a mason to use some of these to patch with. Don't put a contrasting stone planter here - with the other planter under cover around the corner you want to address them both and the contrast against brick is really not ideal. If you give us a big shot of the front of your house we could suggest more.

For now, take half the dirt out of the planter and amend with compost and worm castings so you have rejuvenated the soil. Get a plant that spills over and is evergreen (even a more drought tolerant plant like some prostrate rosemary, or a succulent) that is right for your zone but only needs deep watering 2 x a week. In other words, for now, hide it with green stuff.

The fix is going to take a landscape architect - someone who will come and redesign the entry / paths / plantings / upgrade your whole green experience. Wait until you guys have settled in a while to spend that $ and do use a good mason when it does come out.

The brick has eroded / popped the front pieces out from being saturated with water during freeze thaw cycles. It isn't likely to have hurt your house a bit - that brick stays at more constant temperature because it is connected to a heated home in winter.

• bainfam
    8 anni fa
    Agree with libradesigneye. We removed two brick planters from our back patio, one so we could install a slider. Our siding is old redwood board and batten from the 40's. There was a little rot of some of the battens even though there was a back brick wall to the planter but the hardest thing to deal with was the unexpected massive block of concrete that was under the planter.

We had planned to remove the planter and patch the areas with matching pavers but ended up having to patch the areas with stamped concrete.
  • job101
    8 anni fa
    These are yellow iris plants. I liked them because they looked like tall grasses and are inexpensive. I realize that the look may be different because the whole facade of your home is brick whereas only my planter has brick. We painted the whole exterior the same color without any other color as trim in order to modernize the look of the 1950s cottage. I think you can gain curb appeal without removing the planter - with paint & plants that grow well in your area. Landscaping is costly when done well. You may want to invest in updating your interior first....
  • Kimberly Rynders-Thames
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    job101 I love them would like to see a whole front view of you house .
  • job101
    8 anni fa
    1950's South Miami cottage.....
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".