Houzz Logo Print
ltcv28

What would be good to add here?

ltcv28
11 anni fa
What would be good to add here in the built in area. I have candace olsen wallpaper that i love here. I was thinking some ornate china hutch but they are hard to find at reasonable price. This is an open area that is the first thing you see when you walk into the home. Also, I included image of dining room and any ideas on layout or furniture would be great. I would love to add color to this or wallpaper, not sure. I was thinking large round table but unsure of style, dark cherry or more weathered restoration hardware look. Thanks again!

Commenti (30)

• jessicamaui
    11 anni fa
    first pic: ornate dresser or table with a huge bouquet of flowers and a mirror behind it
    second pic: floor mirror one wall, three shelfs the other wall and a contemporary/traditional table set in a dark wood flanked by an area rug
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Thanks so much. Would you add a rug on carpet? I always wonder about this because of the open space. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Creations Nadia Interior Design
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    would it help?:)) i think you can use that mirror from your dining room:)
  • Rebecca Y
    11 anni fa
    Nothing
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 anni fa
    Where is that wall in relation to the dining space..add pictures in all directions please.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 anni fa
    I agree that a counsel table with a great painting above it would be wonderful.
  • Keitha
    11 anni fa
    Carolyn... Love your suggestion! I'm new to the site but will start following you.... Everybody else is! Great ideas for working within a reasonable budget.
  • Matteo Dezigns
    11 anni fa
    I would definitely put a nice accent color on the 2 odd walls, maybe carry in the brown you already used??? Also, i think white built in shelves/cabinet/wall unit is the way to go so you can display nice things, add some pictures and books. Make sure to leave the back of the wall exposed, dont cover it up with a unit...let the back show through and build sides/shelves. It will look fantastic!
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Great, thanks for the comments. Ive been looking for a 72" round table to seat 8. Id like it to stay round, not oval with extensions. Not sure if dark or restoration hardwareish but they didnt have a round table that big. The space is big open area so im trying to pull it all together. Thank you so much!
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    You can see how tall the walls are. I think it also meeds something on these two walls. I also included the side where i took images from in same room.
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Also the rectangular mirror is metallic so the picture doesnt show true color. I really appreciate it. This is the first ive ever posted. Thanks!
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    This is also another post i have that need help with wall. Thanks. http://houzz.com/discussions/332924
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    so this wall has the same design on both sides, i guess ! Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design had a great a idea with the cabinet so you can put it in the dining room side( mind you i would hang up a nice painting instead of the mirror), then you can move yor counsel on the other side or you can find a nice bench:))))
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    PS: i think the chandelier is a bit too low:)
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    Speaking of that chandelier, are you sure it can be moved to where it will need to be for a 72" round table?

I did find a 72" round table for you (see link below) It's a fairly casual one, but I know there are others on the market. I would not use it with the mirrored buffet I showed above, but if you like it, I'm sure we could find you things to go with it. http://homegallerystores.com/shop/american_drew/new_river/dining_room/old_orchard_72_round_dining_table.html
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Thanks. The chandelier came with the home. It does seem low. I will probably replace it based on the table i get. Thanks for the tips
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    i see something like this overe there ( a specially if you'll go with Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design round table):)))
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    I know you'll be changing the chandelier. It's the positioning of it that I'm concerned about when you get the big round table. I guess it can easily be moved?
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Thanks. I'm not sure how easy it can be moved since its high ceilings but I'm sure someone could probably change it. Thank you all for your help.
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Hello again. Okay,i got a new table for the dining area. Its a rich dark brown. What do you think i should do with the walls, especially since the stairs are there? Also the type of server and chandelier? And what would look good in the built in area that would blend it all together, a china hutch,i would like something unique. Do you add a rug to break up the open space, eventhough its not generally good to put on carpet?? I appreciate all your tips!
  • yvesun
    11 anni fa
    @ Caroline: Couldn't you just lengthen the chain of the chandelier and put a hook into the ceiling and swag it over to the correct position, if moving the electrical is not an option?
    I'm going to have to suggest, a large picture where you have your mirror hung currently would better suit the space. In the wallpaper nook, a decorative hutch from West Elm with the mirror above would look fab, like the picture you could use it as a mini bar or??
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Thats a good idea. I was thinking maybe two lights? I assume it can be moved, but not sure. Love the mirror console too. What do you think for putting a server along stairs wall? What should be on the walls? I also like the idea of window mirrors. And do i break up large space with rug? I think it needs more color. Thanks
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
  • PRO
    Split Rock Associates Inc.
    11 anni fa
    I like the idea of an almost floor to ceiling framed piece of monochromatic artwork to fit that space - with white on whites, blacks and browns. I think that would bring great interest to the space and not be so predictable. It would also help with the scale of the room and the objects in it. You could order a large print to your specifications shot onto canvas and have it custom framed. There are many websites that provide this and it will look like the real deal.
  • ptmatthews
    11 anni fa
    I think a large piece of art hung high on the stair wall would look fantastic. And I wouldn't decide about an area rug until I had done that. You might not feel you need it so much if you have the art. And if you have any dishes or pottery you would like to display, you might consider a buffet with open shelving above in the papered nook.
  • bhaile
    11 anni fa
    A family portrait and a flat leather bench underneath.
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    Sorry I haven't posted on this thread in a few days... just back from Florida. I would put the mirrored buffet in the recessed area with the wallpaper, and hang the mirror above it. Two lamps on top would light the area nicely.

Yes, a 9 x 12 rug would work very well to define the dining area, and also to add color. On the staircase wall, I'd paint a nice accent color from the rug. The wall where the mirror is currently located is where I'd hang a large piece of art. It doesn't look like you really have space for another piece of furniture on one of those walls, so I'd not add any.
  • ltcv28
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Thank you all for the comments. Carolyn, Hope you had a nice time in Florida. I have attached a picture of the space i have behind the table. I could also move the table out a little more. What lighting would be good too? Paint or wallpaper wall? Thanks!
  • PRO
    11 anni fa
    You would need 30" minimum for traffic between the table and a piece of furniture, and then figure on 18" for the furniture, so if there is 48" between the table and the wall, you could put a piece of furniture there.

Regarding paint or paper, I would not put wallpaper on a dining room wall because you already have paper in the recessed area. Paint would be fine and the color would depend on what colors are in the rug you select. Of course it must also blend with your living room colors, the only one of which I see is brown.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".