Houzz Logo Print
cpinphilly

HELP! Not sure what to do nice but 'blah' bathroom

cpinphilly
8 anni fa

We just bought a new house and while we like the master bathroom - there is something 'blah' about it. We don't have a lot of money for major renovations, but any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome! I was thinking we could paint the walls, paint the vanities, change hardware, etc? Just not sure what color to choose since the tile and countertops are all a light cream/beige.

Commenti (19)

• mramsey
    8 anni fa

What a nice big bathroom! It has good bones, a fabulous tub, but almost seems like whoever built it ran out of steam... the 2 vanities look almost out of place with the rest of the room like an after thought and need a little sparking up. Not too keen on the lighting either. What seems to be missing is individuality, colour and personal touches. You don't need to spend a lot of money, just decide what direction you want to go in. If you are the zen spa type: go with some nature inspired bath accessories, peaceful nature based art or photos and more texture (i.e. a glass jar full of smooth stones or sea shells) luxe natural fibre towels and maybe a plant or two. If you are more of an eclectic type: choose some funky touches, antique stools or small tables or shelves, unique artsy touches, (use antique cups and saucers /cream & sugar bowls for grooming amenities, colourful towels etc... you get the idea. (and if you don't get the idea- cruise the Houzz site for inspiration!) It just needs more more more of whatever style you love to make it go from nice to great...have fun and post the after pictures!

• susan2494
    8 anni fa

Nothing wrong with all white bathrooms. I would not paint vanities. Look at putting some art behind tub. Everyone with a tub like yours seems to have a window since you don't have one, maybe a pretend one? Or a door?

Paint the walls a tone from the paintings, or leave as is and bring in accessories from the painting. Towels, rugs

• cpinphilly
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I had the exact same thought about the window behind the tub! i was thinking we could create 'light' from a big mirror behind the tub and adding a nice chandelier over the tub that would reflect into the mirror... We could also do three nice large prints behind the tub to take up that wall..

Any thoughts on paint color to bring more life to the space? I love white/gray/blue bathrooms - but i feel like those colors might be out of place here...

• cpinphilly
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Any suggestions on mirrors or other fixtures we could add to this space?
  • lhutch13
    8 anni fa
    I wouldn't paint the vanities, and get a really cool art piece for above the tub and decorate around that.
  • susan2494
    8 anni fa

I, too, thought about mirror behind tub, but nixed that as I would not want that image staring at me when I stood up. :>) There are mirrors shaped like windows and a chandelier is a great addition. I think there are rules for not hanging over tub but just outside the tub area. Blues and whites would be nice here, fixtures are chrome so even a lighter teal color.

• User
    8 anni fa

Agree you need to figure out which direction you want to go in. You have a beautiful space that just needs some personality. Try adding rugs, towels, other accessories, and either a picture or large round mirror behind the tub. I think you can either paint the vanities or leave as is, but I would definitely change the hardware. They don't seem to fit in with the rest of the space. The wall color is nice and neutral and works well with the floors, but if you like more color, you could definitely paint the walls. Found this picture and thought it may help. Look at lots of pictures of bathrooms on Houzz to get ideas of what you love and what direction you want to take.

• tfitz1006
    8 anni fa

A small tree would be nice. It would drive me nuts to have that outlet right on top of my towel bar. Also that little ring towel holder could be replaced with a towel bar. Agree re artwork. I would give the room more color, a pretty blue or maybe a sage green paint.

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

Yes, you need to paint the vanities white. But for me what throws the space off is the bathtub. It should be the center of interest. Most photos of freestanding tubs have them in front of beautiful window...

You need something behind the tub for interest and something close to hold the soap, shampoo, towels. Add a narrow ledge behind or something close by. Add something behind: could be framed wallpaper or tile or art or a screen.

Add a rug to step down onto.

Master Bath Remodel Limestone · Maggiori informazioni

• jhmarie
    8 anni fa

If it is in your budget, a wainscot will help protect the wall and add interest. If the wainscot was cream, you could paint the wall above blue gray. Blues, tans, whites and wood go together, so you would not have to paint the vanities if you did not want to.

Huntcliff Cliff Master Bath · Maggiori informazioni

A Soothing Suite · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 anni fa

Everything in the room is completely neutral. You cannot really go wrong, pick a color that you love because it will not clash with anything. If you gave me a couple of colors that you are inspired by I could be more specific about a color combination.

• cpinphilly
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Here are a couple images of paint colors I would ideally work with in the space.

• PRO
    Done Right Remodeling, Inc.
    8 anni fa

I would tile the wet wall. Maybe in a mosaic. Something that looks organic. Porcelanosa Tile would carry something that would work well. You could also use a basic crown with a Base cap on the ceiling. Paint the ceiling 10% of the wall color. Paint the crown about 4-6" of ceiling then base cap all white to tie them together. I usually like to go with decorator or white dove on trim, depending on the wall color. By doing this you give the room depth and it gives the illusion of taller ceilings.

• PRO
    Done Right Remodeling, Inc.
    8 anni fa

Maybe use two different tiles and do a design behind the tub to make it more of a center piece.

• PRO
    Precision Granite & Marble
    8 anni fa
    I would do a big painting or picture (one of a favorite pet, moment place or child) behind tub and a nice soft rug. Keep the spa feel. Just dress it up with accessories.
  • suezbell
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Do you have a narrow wall to which you could add peel and stick wall paper w/your favorite colors and a pattern you truly like -- such as the wall with the towel bar?

Could you add wallpaper trim strips along the top of the wall to add color with some design to add interest without the need for painting?

Since you have a window in the bath, consider stained glass window hanging panels.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stained+glass+window+hanging+panels&biw=1366&bih=673&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvwIiU3sTOAhUSdiYKHR4RDuYQ_AUIBygC

Could you add a hanging basket bracket centered above the window or to the right of the window with a small pot of English ivy or philodendron without it being in the way?

Update?

• lorreli
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

That is a very strange bathroom you have there. They've broken up the vanity leaving one in the corner all alone and lonely!

I think beadboard wainscotting would be a good option. It would help right behind the tub to seem to anchor it in place. Right now the tub looks a little lonely. Maybe install something like this.

The beadboard can be painted to match the countertops. It would sort of join them together. The walls don't have to be green, but that would be better than the neutral color you have now. For the wall above the tub, perhaps this. (But with the wainscotting not as high.) Put hangars for robes and towels, perhaps.

Or this.

You could certainly opt for brighter colors or a different arrangement.

I'd suggest a table beside the tub for shampoo, etc and a rug. This would add more color. But if I were you and I could afford it, I would replace those dated countertops and fixtures!!! Like this:

I think these colors would go well with your shower area you have now. Blue and green can be calming colors in the bathroom.

• rocketjcat
    7 anni fa
    Old post from 2015.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".