Houzz Logo Print
mommytofive

shaker cabinetry to 9 foot ceiling with crown molding or a space

mommytofive
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

My kitchen has 9 foot ceilings. Currently I have 42 inch uppers planned for my kitchen with a simple 3" crown molding. I need to decide whether to leave my cabinets at 42 plus 3 (crown) inches with about a 10 inch space to ceiling or to make them higher with a stacked crown molding. The cost of stacked cabinets would be too high. My cabinets are shaker, so very simple. I have a unique layout for the kitchen where the layout's broken up because of large tall, low windows original to the house. The victorian house was built in the late 1800s. I'm really not sure what to do. Any opinions? Included is a photo of a portion of the kitchen. The window above the main sink on right may not be at the correct height as it has not been picked yet. Still not sure whether my island will have corbels as pictured or posts on end. Not pictured is the fridge/freezer and pantry.

Commenti (12)

• cpartist
    8 anni fa

If you saw the grease and dirt above my cabinets when I moved in here, you'd make sure they went to the ceiling anyway possible. I am going to have 10' ceilings in my kitchen and I am making sure to have stacked on one wall and then on the other I'm going to put a soffit with stained glass in the front of the soffit and windows behind so it lets in light.

• buildinginga
    8 anni fa

We have ten foot ceilings in the kitchen (also doing shaker cabinets). I am having trim made to have it go to the ceiling. I asked for a quote on upper cabinets and it came back at an extra 10k. (Yikes!) So trim it is. I am going for something like this:

LA-Wilson

• buildinginga
    8 anni fa

Oops my cut and past didn't work- but if you look up the project: San Jose Res 2 by Fiorella Design you can see what I mean.

• mommytofive
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

I really like the look of this photo, although my cabinets won't have glass. Someone online used this as an example as a kitchen with 9 foot ceilings, 42 inch uppers and remaining crown. Do you think that's what this looks like? I don't find this crown overwhelming like I sometimes do in taller kitchens.

• mommytofive
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Sophie, I had chosen a simple 3" crown since I had a shaker style and my many large windows were being a problem with needing to fit the crown next to the window. We have four large windows in kitchen. My upper cabinetry was needing to be shrunk to fit it. What should be the dimension of crown for a 42 inch cabinet if I didn't extend all the way up?

I will have to look up what a transom cabinet looks like.

• dcward89
    8 anni fa

To the ceiling, some way some how, skimp somewhere else if need be.

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    8 anni fa

When the cabinets are mounted with the top above the window height, you needn't worry about the projection of the crown interfering with the window molding. If they are lower, then yes, you need to account for the projection of the crown in the design. Crowding window molding is not a great look, either way. I try to go no closer than 3" to a molding, and some kitchens demand more negative space than that. What you run into with very tall cabinets is that it renders the kitchen off visually. I prefer transom cabinets that can break up that long vertical line visually.

This is what 9' ceilings with 48"H transom cabinets (30+18 combo) looks like with a 6" cove molding. The cove really needs a riser to account for an out of level ceiling and to make up the tiny bit of difference between the molding height and overall height.

Kemper Showroom Vignette · Maggiori informazioni

• mommytofive
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

From top of window trim to ceiling is only 5 inches.

• rmverb
    8 anni fa

We're gonna do this with our cabinets/9ft ceilings:

• maven19
    8 anni fa

We also have 9' ceilings and 42" shaker cabinets. We were only able to do the crown molding on the top of the cabinetry, though my preference would have been to take the molding to the ceiling.

• rmverb
    8 anni fa

Another really nice way to fill the gap:

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".