Houzz Logo Print
brianscottkennedy

Need help making this room more contemporary

Hi. My wife and I are about to close on a house in New Jersey. In almost all rooms, the house has exactly the type of contemporary yet slightly rustic feel that we like. However, the living room is a bit too rustic for our tastes. we dont lovethe lodge feel. All of the furniture will be leaving with the seller, so the room is pretty much a blank canvas.

Any thoughts on how to make this room a bit cleaner / modern feeling?? We are open to changes in furniture, paint, pretty much anything.

Let me know if it would be helpful to provide any other info.

Thank you!

Commenti (14)

• mollythecollie
    11 anni fa
    Here are some pictures of contemporary homes with large fireplaces. Maybe they can give you some ideas. It may just be the picture, but the mantle seems massive. Maybe it could be lowered and made a little bit smaller and then add some large fantastic artwork over the fireplace. Also, can the stones that jut out be removed??

Congratulations and Enjoy your new home!

[houzz=
    Rustic Living Room · Maggiori informazioni
    ]

[houzz=
    Woodinville Retreat · Maggiori informazioni
    ]

[houzz=
    Great Room · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
  • creeser
    11 anni fa
    I think the paint colors and the old owner's furniture might be keeping it from leaning towards more contemporary. Here's a photo with some of the same post and beam elements. I think if you combine that with furnishings like shown in the photos above, it will be great.
    [houzz=
    Living Room of Custom Post & Beam Home in Jonesboro · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
  • PRO
    Artspiring
    11 anni fa
    I would consider painting the walls a cooler tone such as grey or blue-grey, which is more contemporary and see where that takes you. The color of the existing room is very warm and "lodge like" just that change may be enough. Also, without their furninture and the accessories that are lodge like just a color change may get you to where you want to be. It also does not cost too much to just try it on 2 walls. I would start with the fireplace wall so you can see if you like it and how it relates to the fireplace. Additionally, painting the ceiling white may help as well, but I am not sure how that tranistions to other spaces, so you would have to consider that.
  • brianscottkennedy
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    thank you all so far. very helpful!
  • 14thstreet
    11 anni fa
    I agree with the others. I nice shade of gray like SW Mindful Gray would be beautiful in that room. I think your biggest style-setter will be the furniture and area rug. Choosing a modern couch with sleek lines and not an overstuffed style would be the ticket. Also, your choice in an area rug will need to set the tone for the room also. Floor lamps in a modern style would add nice task lighting. I don't see a chandelier in the room, but if you had one perhaps a new, large, ontemporary tiered drum shade chandlier would be really nice.
    [houzz=
    Talon's Crest · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
  • 14thstreet
    11 anni fa
    Looks like a beautiful house by the way-congrats on your new home.
  • PRO
    By Design EM
    11 anni fa
    I agree with changing the paint color, i like the suggestion of a soft grey but you could also go with a white. I think if you change the mantle to a more contemporary clean box shape and maybe paint it that would also help. This and changing the furniture and a contemporary rug should at least give you a good start if not do the trick entirely. The house has great bones to work with! Good Luck!
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    Its my guess that all the cross wall beams and posts attached to the walls are just for effect. I would remove all of it so that the walls have a cleaner look and not so busy. Next I would sand down the mantel to a very square edged rough piece of wood and finish it in a dark stain. Then change out the wall sconces to a stainless contemporary fixture. Your furniture will do the rest and as far as wall color you can do anything you want..
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    11 anni fa
    The window trim is a distraction. Consider removing the casing from all the windows and applying a vinyl bull nose corner bead to create a smooth, rounded look to the drywall/window corners. Then paint the walls including the bullnose right up to the window jamb. Now you have an uninterupted field of wall color other than the large beams and columns that are visually appealing and provide stature and balance to such a large space. Ask a drywall installer to come in and tell you how it can be done for your particular window situation.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 anni fa
    I agree with Scott and Marie. The windows take the wood trim a bit overboard, and the wall trim looks removable. I would remove all except the pieces that visually appear to hold up the overhead beams. Those two changes plus the right color on the walls will make a big difference.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    11 anni fa
    The overhead beams are held up by the columns at either end as if it was a header over a wide opening. The window trim below is not necessary. You can see this across the way on the opposite wall over the door, etc. I agree with decoenthusiaste's comment about the right wall color. Start working on your furnishings and the color should fall into place.
  • mveasey
    11 anni fa
    Do you like the look of the fireplace stonework?
    It feels a little european, medieval castle like.
    If you like more contemporary-rustic here a few photos.
    You could do a stone veneer on top, like Eldorado stone.
  • lnerak
    11 anni fa
    First, I would agree with the previous comments that mention the exit of the current furniture making a big difference. Once, the space is empty you'll be able to make a better judgement about was elements are overly "lodge" for you.

While I can't tell how this room interacts with other spaces, you may want to consider refinishing the floor with a lighter wash or limed effect. Since you are looking for the whole house to reflect your contemporary rustic style, you may want to consider carrying a lighter floor through out.

http://houzz.com/photos/235541
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".