Houzz Logo Print
hershella

need help with gutter decisions

hjs
8 anni fa

We are building a modern farmhouse and are ready to install gutters. Any opinions on the efficiency of half-round versus k-style (information I see on the web seems contradictory)? Do half-round gutters drain better? Better in ice and snow?

Also, would you take the gutters across the whole front of the house, or interrupt them at the main door to show the exposed rafter tails? See photos below.

And we were thinking about white gutters. Thoughts on color? (house will be all white)

Many thanks for any and all input!

Commenti (13)

• home_is_where_I_want_to_be
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

K-Style or ogee gutters can carry a larger volume of water than an equivalent half round. (Imagine a square cross section vs half a circle of the same diameter.) I think they are the same for ice or snow and efficiency is only important in very heavy rain storms.

With that said a half round is more architecturally correct especially for your house which doesn't have a formal cornice. The K-style is designed to replace the cyma (part of the cornice).

hjs ha ringraziato home_is_where_I_want_to_be
  • Oaktown
    8 anni fa

We have a white board and batten house with gray metal roofing. Our architect recommended that the gutters match the roofing. As we could not get half-round in our roofing color, the architect selected k-style gutters matching the roof. Downspouts are white. [edited, I shouldn't have said painted white, I don't know whether they just came that way or whether they were painted to match the house.]

hjs ha ringraziato Oaktown
  • hjs
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks to you both! Oaktown, would it be possible to see a photo of your gutters? I didn't think about painting the downspouts white... would love to see what that looks like.

This is probably a stupid question but... how do you specify gutters that match your roof? Are they an exact match... or just similar in color?

• dadereni
    8 anni fa

Interrupt at the front door. Half-round in the roofing color. Round downspouts in the roofing color.

hjs ha ringraziato dadereni
  • Oaktown
    8 anni fa

None of these is our house, but these illustrate some ideas.

This is what dadereni is suggesting (matching half-round gutters and downspouts), and what we would have done if the option had been available:

Menlo Oaks Residence · Maggiori informazioni

White half-rounds and downspouts:

Circa 1700 · Maggiori informazioni

Box gutter, white downspouts:

Porch House · Maggiori informazioni

Contemporary Ranch style Home · Maggiori informazioni

On our house, the gutters do actually match the roof color, I don't know the details. Architect chose that rather than having half-rounds painted on site.

hjs ha ringraziato Oaktown
  • hjs
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks again to both of you. I'm leaning toward going with ogee style, gutter matching roof and downspouts matching house. The main reason for choosing the ogee style is that it is less expensive. Just don't know how much difference that will make to the look of the front of the house: how far down the gutter will come, will it hide the rafter tails completely and if so, whether white gutter might look better against white rafter tails. Heavy sigh... so many decisions... lol.

• dekeoboe
    8 anni fa

On our house the roof, gutters and fascia are all the same color.

hjs ha ringraziato dekeoboe
  • hjs
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thanks, dekeoboe! Any chance you could post a photo, just of the roof eave?

• hjs
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Also, another question for those whose architect specified that the gutters match the metal roof: Do you know the reasoning behind that? Or your own thoughts in choosing that option?

• hjs
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thank you - that really helps. Beautiful home, by the way.

• User
    8 anni fa

Matching the roof gives a substantiality to the roof An accent ''stripe'' of a different color can work too, if the rest of the house uses the same trim color for it to blend with. It just leaves the leading edge of a metal roof lookig knife thin. Which it is. Which is why I prefer it to match the roof.

hjs ha ringraziato User
  • earthlyepicure
    il mese scorso

@hjs can I ask what you ended up doing? Doing a modern farmhouse and deliberating btw K-Style and half round. We tend to get big monsoonal summer rainstorms, so half thinking k-style, if it works with our fascia detail. Such a hard decision!!!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".