Houzz Logo Print
corey_price

What to do with our kitchen??

Corey Garcia
8 anni fa
Hi, last summer we redid all of the floors in our downstairs with dark "hardwood" laminate. Now that we are ready to redo our kitchen, I can't decide what would look best with the floors. Seems like many would do white cabinets and black granite, but black granite is not my fave. I have thought about gray cabinets, dark wood lower and white uppers, or all white. I want light counter tops though, and I am afraid of doing all white cabinets and light counters. Also are cabinets are in working fashion but the design is dated. Leaning towards taking everything out and coming back in with RTA cabinets (shaker style). I have contemplated just getting new doors or staining/painting. Decided against painting due to the graininess of the cabinet showing through, but staining could be a low cost option. This isn't our forever home, so I do want to keep what appeals to the masses in mind. Budget wise we want it to stay under $20k. Thanks for any tips/ideas/comments!

Commenti (5)

• Corey Garcia
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I guess my main question is color of cabinets. Wha would look best- gray, white, all darker matching wood, or some light uppers and dark lowers?

• hayleydaniels
    8 anni fa

With that dark floor I'd paint them white and go with a white countertop so it isn't too dark.

• PRO
    MHI Interiors
    8 anni fa

Replacing the doors, and painting the the cabinet boxes would look the best.
    The island I would use a contrasting color from the main cabinetry.
    Replace the counters with quartz or granite and a nice tile backsplash.

• User
    8 anni fa

With your dark floors, I would definitely go with either white or gray cabinets. Since you said this is not your forever home, white is probably safer, since you have to think of resale at some point.

Granite, quartz, or quartzite are all great products. I would probably start there. Choose a countertop material that you really like and that is in your price range.

You can always paint cabinets around perimeter in white and paint the island a contrasting color if you don't want to do all white.

Last, look at kitchen pictures on Houzz and find a picture to use for your inspiration. Good luck!

Shepard Avenue · Maggiori informazioni

The Great Spaces! Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    8 anni fa

Due to your budget, my suggestion would be to have your cabinetry painted professionally -white. (the same color as your moulding). For your island, you could paint it a darker color of your walls I would think about using soapstone, milestone or even marble for your countertops. New hardware would help as well as lighting. A timeless, yet cheap backsplash would be white subway tile with grey grout. Since your wall cabinets are short, I would create visual height by having the tiles continue up over your wall cabinets to the ceiling. I hope this helps. I have been doing kitchens for a long time and have been nationally recognized. My kitchen suggestions will appeal to a wide variety of buyers so keep that in mind, as you mentioned that you are not planning on living here long.

Best,

Kim

www.KimNielsenInteriors.com (if you want to contact me directly or see my kitchens)

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".