Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngirl8

how can one get a super large area rug on the cheap

Christine W
11 anni fa
Hi. First off I have no photos of my space because this is just an idea but I have 2 pictures of rug patterns I like.

I have a 12 x 25 foot long room and I want to put just a long area rug. Something plush, in a deeper tone with a slight pattern that will hold up to kids, pets and some foot traffic and something that will not shed. A friend of mine has a slightly smaller room and has a large rug that she says she got at a local carpet store on the cheap and they just stitched the edges together. Her rug is thick and has a slight pattern to it but based on what I have seen area rugs that size cost a pretty penny.

So my design dilemma is this. Is it possible to find a super large area rug from a local carpet factory and they will stitch it together and cut it out where needed (to accommodate a fireplace hearth) all for under say $1,000? I would love to hear from Houzzers here.

Thanks

Commenti (2)

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 anni fa
    Go to your local flooring store and find out what they charge per linear foot to bind or serge the edges of the carpet. Carpeting on the roll is usually 12 feet wide. I would recommend you leave a border of flooring about 12" around the perimeter of the room, making sure you're clear of any floor registers or any other impediments you don't want to cover. Then have the cut-out around the hearth the same distance of clearance.

Once you have these measurements you can figure how many feet there are around the whole perimeter that will have to be finished. Figure out the cost multiplying the number of feet by the cost per linear foot. Then subtract that total from your $1,000 budget.

Out of the balance of your budget, divide it by the number of square yards of carpet you'll have to purchase, which is about 31 square yards. The number you have left is the amount per square yard you have to spend. This will help you to narrow down the selection of carpet that meets your budget. You may find a remnant that's cheaper but it would be difficult to find because that's a large piece of carpeting you'll need.
  • PRO
    Service Director for Merida
    11 anni fa
    Agreed. a 12x23 is too big to be considered a remnant and your price might only allow for a solid color either cut or loop pile carpet. I am sure there is a CarpetOne somewhere near you in Brooklyn or even a Lowes or HD. You will have to most likely order something that large. I agree with the margins as well anywhere fro 9" to 12" around the perimeter but I would only go about 1.5"-2" around the hearth.

Having the edges bound is another matter. Most stores can order you a finished rug (bound or surged all around) the fireplace will have to be cut onsite, unless you provide them with a scaled drawing which I don't suggest. if you leave 9" all around your overall rug size will be 10'6" x 23'6". That is 246.75 sqft or 27.41 yards. Even though you are only going to use about 10 feet of the width, they may charge you for the whole width, 12'. Making your carpet amount 282 sqft or 31.3 yards.

An average cost of a nylon patterned carpet, either cut or loop pile is around $4.00 per square foot. Call ProSource Wholesale Flooring and see if they have an installer near you. They have a huge selection. If you increase your budget a few hundred dollars you will increase your selection immensely.

Good Luck!
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".