Houzz Logo Print
angelapea

Is this lamp too big for the cabinet?

angelapea
8 anni fa
We can't decide if the lamp itself or the lamp shade is too large for the scale of the chest? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Commenti (18)

• JB
    8 anni fa
    You might want to consider a smaller lamp that brings in a color from your art piece. Right now the lamp is taking away from your framed picture. You might want to group family photos all to one side with smaller lamp in center of photos. This way your art becomes the centerpiece.
    angelapea ha ringraziato JB
  • angelapea
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Thank you so much. I like the idea of a colored (and smaller) lamp to accent the art. We have a lot of blue in our room so a blue lamp would be a nice addition.
  • angelapea
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I will post new photos once I find a new smaller/colored lamp. Any other thoughts on the size of this lamp?

• A S
    8 anni fa
    I agree, the lamp is taking away from everything else. Definitely a smaller lamp, maybe something with a thinner base? It could still be tall, but with a smaller lampshade?
    angelapea ha ringraziato A S
  • anne dee
    8 anni fa

ref pic to what I was referring to (general idea)

• PRO
    Ethan Allen Design Center Fort Wayne
    8 anni fa

Not at all! I would just recommend moving it in 4-5" just so the shade is in front of the art work a little.

angelapea ha ringraziato Ethan Allen Design Center Fort Wayne
  • angelapea
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Anne Dee - I really like your idea to move the frame left and rearrange the display items. I plan to get different items to go on top, these were just shopped for at home. The chest is new. Any suggestions? I like the picture you found, seems a vase with small florals would also bring in some nice color. Thank you so much for your suggestions!

• User
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Like Anne Dee's ref picture. I love your lamp choice and think it the perfect size for the console table. It will look great once you have moved the art over slightly and rearranged some of the objects on top of the table. Keep us posted!

angelapea ha ringraziato User
  • angelapea
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Anne Dee: I wanted to give you a better idea of the location of the chest. Our kitchen is adjacent to the artwork wall -- I have bar stools just to the left (where you see the edge of countertop). Do you still think it's a good idea to move the artwork left? There is also an open doorway (on right) which is our entry (another topic coming soon!). I didn't know if having the art off center would look funny in this location. I guess it would still be a part of the center of the chest so it wouldn't matter?

• Jean Benelli
    8 anni fa

I do not think the lamp is too large, the art work and the lamp do not belong together. Keep lamp and arrange small framed art work to the left of the lamp or one smaller art work, if you want to keep the lamp. If the art work is more important to you get a smaller lamp.

angelapea ha ringraziato Jean Benelli
  • angelapea
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Jean, interesting comment about the lamp and the art not being 'at one' with each other. We at one point had wanted a photo collage (with various size frames) in this location. I like your suggestion, too. We are kind of tied to this artwork now b/c it was pricey for us ($450 for print/frame). Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I will definitely try various ideas and post updates as I go ...

• patrinkac
    8 anni fa
    Yes, move art work to the left to balance lamp on right. Too many photos. Just two more decor items near the base of the lamp.
    angelapea ha ringraziato patrinkac
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Why do you need a lamp there? You can't sit there to read because it is in a traffic path. On the left is a pass through and you don't need to call attention to that. The breakfront of the chest will make offsetting the picture look awkward. I'd suggest you style the shelves in the chest first using 1/3 books, 1/3 decor items and 1/3 open space. You could paint the back of the shelves in the pretty blue color from the picture to unify things some more. Then you'll only need a pair of ceramic pieces or a trio of really chunky candlesticks on top. Everything there right now, except the lamp, is too small scale. If you don't have items to style the shelves, and you need storage instead, consider making the glass into mirror - that could be a DIY for you.

angelapea ha ringraziato decoenthusiaste
  • angelapea
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

decoenthusiaste Thank you! I thought we needed the lamp there b/c there is no other lighting in this room (only 4 recessed lights about 6' away). I love your suggestions and would love to paint the back of the shelves (I actually have some leftover Annie Sloan blue!). Thank you for the scale comments, I have no idea what scale goes with anything so that is helpful. Others have mentioned that as well. Thanks for chiming in!! Once I adjust things I'll update. Thanks again for your thoughtful suggestions.

• PRO
    Celeste Elizabeth Design, LLC
    8 anni fa

The lamp size if fine. I agree with moving the art or the chest over. Then place a taller object behind the frames on the left, perhaps with one of the colors in the artwork, balancing the arrangement height and weight wise.

angelapea ha ringraziato Celeste Elizabeth Design, LLC
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Consider installing lighting inside the cabinet for more interest and to illuminate the items you put there.

angelapea ha ringraziato decoenthusiaste
  • Ann
    8 anni fa

I think the lamp (and the art) are just the right size. I agree to move the lamp over and change the other tabletop decor (too small).

angelapea ha ringraziato Ann
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".