Houzz Logo Print
kingsmom75

How do I brighten this room without removing the paneling?

kingsmom75
11 anni fa
Just bought this house and its all redwood paneling and very dark. The paneling is worth a lot of money so my husband wants to leave it as is. Plus it runs throughout the house. Any suggestions on how to brighten the room? I considered framing large pieces of bright fabric but that may look hokey. (the furniture in the photo is not mine but I do have earth tone fabrics and dark wood tables)

Commenti (18)

• 14thstreet
    11 anni fa
    Do you have it in your budget to replace the carpeting to something very light? That would be a good start.
  • vineyardflute
    11 anni fa
    It'sbeautiul, but your eye has nothing to hold it. To break up all the wood and add some color, I would put a valance window treatment on the lower windows, a large patterned rug on the floor, maybe add a tall plant with some smaller ones around the room and add some wall sconces.
  • AMN
    11 anni fa
    Will the mauve carpet be removed?

A fresh, rustic-modern chandelier with appropriate light output is necessary. It would brighten the space (looks wise and functionally).

Adequate and beautiful lighting will be needed on table tops and in floor lamps too.

While I wouldn't recommend framing fabric, make sure any art you choose is as big as you can get it (and still have it look good). That pic above the piano in this old photo is not going to cut it. Light all major pieces of artwork you hang.

Hang light-colored drapes on either side of all windows at human-height level. I think black or bronze
    rods will work best.

Bright, fresh colored throw pillows on an appropriately scaled couch and other furnishings.

Fresh flowers and well-cared-for live plants.

These are my ideas so far.
  • kingsmom75
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Thank you for the replies. Yes, the mauve carpet will be replaced at some point. I don't know how light I will be able to go with a young child and living in rain country. Keeping it clean may become a challenge. I like the idea of a valance on the lower windows...and the throw pillows for sure. I love the chandelier but definitely need to update the light bulbs so it puts out appropriate light. My challenge also lies in how to better incorporate it back into the kitchen which someday I hope to completely gut. Right now they share an adjoining space (see photo)
  • marnau514
    11 anni fa
    I would white wash all the walls AND ceiling. Google "Sarah's Cottage" by sarah richardson and see how this room could easily be turned into something gorgeous and current. Good luck!
  • kingsmom75
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    Great idea! There is a ledge that runs along the side walls where the wall meets the ceiling. I can run lights there - like the under cabinet light but hidden in the ledge. Yeah!!! Thank you so much
  • Darzy
    11 anni fa
    I'm back on the linoleum kick...A light color lineolum could work perfectly for you. Easy to clean, family and pet friendly, inexpensive and possibly DIYable. NOT the old vinyl of years ago. Check out this Houzz article.
    htt https://www.houzz.com/magazine/linoleum-the-all-purpose-flooring-wonder-stsetivw-vs~4760122
  • Deborah Werntz
    11 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 11 anni fa
    ;) Some of the above ideas would do it. I have seen the very expensive redwood walls like you say. The wall scones and valances mentioned above also done with these walls.. Yes a chandelier, rug, pillows etc light. Light color rug or slate or tile floor. Awesome Chandeliers (not wood color) (use metal, silver or white, there are unbelieveable styles to choose from, do web search) and sconces are available (matching?). Do not forget to use some beautiful wall outlet and switch plates in metal or white. It is about lighting and feng shui type chi. So much of one color here, also one element (wood) you just have to know how to bring more life to it. I would not white wash. Kitchen can do with white appliances or white with silver that is available now. Remember you can also use mirrors, there are various types, sizes, sets. Green plants? HERE YOU ARE, IDEAS!!!!
  • PRO
    DUEALBERI
    11 anni fa
    Sarah's Cottage idea to white wash the walls sounds really great for your space :)
  • groveraxle
    11 anni fa
    With this much wood, I would go super sleek.
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/16451/Manzanita-Drive-Addition---Remodel

Manzanita Drive Addition & Remodel · Maggiori informazioni
  • kingsmom75
    Autore originale
    11 anni fa
    YES!!!!
  • Deborah Werntz
    11 anni fa
    groveraxle's idea, manzanita is not bad, it shows the use of metal and white, it has a lot of wood, even on floor and looks good. you can use your metal and white in other styles and it will also work. See what I wrote above, relax and dream.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 anni fa
    Overall, you have a rustic open space... I would play that up with some rustic industrial pieces, and leather furniture... It would have a warm and casual feel to it, Nice,
  • luckyperson
    10 anni fa
    Instead of valance on windows, I would do beautiful panels (grommet) on each side to make the windows appear taller (& take them up to the top of the angle window), use rod on each side not all the away cross the window) replace the carpet w/wood flooring, then purchase area rug in pattern,(something kinder bold) if your furniture is tan, pull color out of rug with bold pillows, replace light fixture, even the new look with a shade? Add different lamps on your end tables for more interest..maybe black shades..
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    10 anni fa
    Paint the ceiling white.
  • PRO
    Staging Designs by Deborah LLC
    10 anni fa
    I have tongue and groove cedar paneling in my family room. It was stained a very dark brown and rough sawn. I spent a great deal of time sanding off the stain and white washing the paneling. It's so much brighter yet still has the warm of the wood.
  • idelives
    3 anni fa

https://thespaces.com/sci-fi-author-ursula-k-le-guins-childhood-berkeley-home-lists-for-4-1m/

White and gray will modernize - big white lamps - Modern Soft comfy sofa with white cowhide ottoman. Comfort and white/gray accents on the wall. Good lighting is a must.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".