Houzz Logo Print
kirstine1

Solid wook kitchen worktops - yes or no?

Kirstine
9 anni fa
Have heard so much bad press about the upkeep of a wood worktop but love the look... Advice please!
Yes
No

Commenti (7)

• Sam Hill
    9 anni fa
    We have Formica. Very expensive (it was here when we arrived), but is the best surface ever. Heat and scratch resistant. Available in many different designs to suit all styles.
    Would highly recommend it.
  • PRO
    Plexus Direct Ltd CAD service
    8 anni fa
    Solid wood worktops look amazing, yes they need correct installation and treatments, however with this they last years and have a unique character. Its true alternatives are available as copies but that’s exactly what they are, an imitation. If the budget allows for a quality timber top then treat it with TLC as it will give service and in years to come endure the harsh tests of kitchen life, lesser alternatives possibly aren’t so forgiving against knocks and scratches. However laminate tops are maintenance free, amazing value and practical as easy to wipe clean around the cooking or sink areas, that’s worth considering as solid tops are a hobby that will need sanding and oiling. We often mix materials, solid wood tops blend to give an accent to any design, possibly help the budget and ease unnecessary upkeep when realising the benefits of either and what practically works for you.
  • katty smith
    7 anni fa

I would like to advice you directly call me at +44151808076871 or email me on kattysmith83@outlook.com also I am mostly at Skype katty.smith81

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    7 anni fa

As a kitchen designer, I always warn our customers of the potential pitfalls of wood if it is not properly maintained, but at the end of the day I LOVE the surface and am always quietly pleased when clients still opt for it after all the warning!!

But you really must follow a proper care regime - wipe up spills & standing water quickly, don't open dishwashers before they've cooled, pay particular care around sinks & taps and the dishwasher. You simply must iol them regularly - we suggest setting a recurring reminder on your phone for a weekend (in the week you'll forget!) every 3-4 months and sticking to it religiously. One of the problems is that once rot/damage/discolouration sets in, it can't really be removed.

While for many years we used Danish Oil, our current recommendation is Habiol - much improved penetration into the wood, a nicer finish and less risk to nut allergy sufferers.

Oh, and perhaps I'm a bit strange, but there is something quite therapeutic about oiling a worktop. Over the weekend I've been giving a lovely oak worktop for a welsh dresser 4 coats from new, and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the transformation. Or maybe the solvents are getting to me..... ;-)

• PRO
    User
    7 anni fa

I have used all available products to try and protect timber worktops and they all break down after a couple of years. Yes you can strip and re finish timber to look like new but it takes lots of work and inconvenience. Corian is a great worktop material if your budget allows.

• PRO
    BH Kitchens
    7 anni fa

Solid wood when fitted and treated correctly looks and feels high end.

Yes you do need to look after it and oil on occasion, if it gets damaged it can be repaired relatively easily .

And like someone else has already said, its quite Therapeutic and satisfiying applying the oil.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".