Houzz Logo Print
eyereezy

Living Room - Missing Pieces

eyereezy
9 anni fa
I have the main pieces (rug, couch, coffee table, dining set) already in place but I'm trying to add some missing pieces to pull it all together.

The plan is to find a large abstract art piece to place above the couch, an accent chair and some curtain panels on short rods to soften the edges of the bay window.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks in advance :)

Commenti (72)

• Ann
    9 anni fa

Oh, then it sounds like Deco was right in seeing the dining area as the area where the fixture is. I'd love to see the changes Deco suggested. I imagine the furniture is heavy. If you place rags under the feet, you may be able to slide it without damaging the floor, but be careful and check the floors often.

• Donna Rosen
    9 anni fa

I would love to see a larger rug in the dining area.....with a contemporary , funky look. Big pop o ' color. Mirrors always good.

• PRO
    Jacklynn Little Interiors
    9 anni fa

You have good bones right now. But the wall colour has to change. What area of Toronto do you live in?

• Donna Rosen
    9 anni fa

Also , I would pass on the drapes. Too stuffy for anybody under 100 imho.

• PRO
    Santiago Bernal
    9 anni fa

Good start. You do need art work for both rooms, a table lamp on the side table, an interesting chair, and an ottoman. Be eclectic. Such new pieces can have their own personality. Also considere changing the area rug in the dining room with something that provides more character and color. also larger than the one you have.

• Ann
    9 anni fa

I don't think the drapes look old fashioned at all:). They're very nice drapes.

• Jill Poyerd
    9 anni fa

Just for fun, I thought I'd Photoshop in some abstract paintings from the Houzz marketplace in order to give you an idea of how painting colors can effect the feel of the room. Here are two samples - each playing off of a different room color. They represent two different orientations as well. I'm not sure if I have them totally to the correct scale, but it's just to give you some visuals. Good luck!

Above: "WIld Life" by Preethi Mathialagan

Above: Sale Abstract Art by JMintze

• Donna Rosen
    9 anni fa

I would like the sofa against the blue/green color. That is a big piece of furniture and I think the color behind it would mellow the large amount of brown leather.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 anni fa

ok, this makes no sense to me, (sorry), if you have a family room that is compete, and a breakfast nook, why are you cramming the dining table in the corner? why not make this a dining room only? put the large rug in the center of the room,(turn the rug) and the table. turn the table the other way. and if you want the couch in there put it under the window.......... then add a side board or console over the blue wall. im just not sure why you are trying to force this not so big room to have 2 areas?

put the cream rug under the nook table, as it is too small for the dining table anyway.

• PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa

I think the coffee table is too small and the white pillows look off.

There is something else in there that bothers me but I cant pin point it yet.

I know husbands hate when we try different arrangements, to them everything looks good :) but I would definitely try to switch the rugs.

• everdebz
    9 anni fa

I feel bad to say it, but I think there's too much going on to appreciate the whole: wall color, reddish rug with bit of floor, dark couch.... that's why I thought the grey couch's lighter neutral would be better....

• Anne Marsh
    9 anni fa
    Change the area rug !!!!!! Needs updated modern rug ! Look on rugs USA . Good prices . Get 8 by 10 size . Pick one with either the gold or the turquoise or both colors in it .
    Spray the metal on your table black or oil rubbed bronze . Cheap fix !
    Nice sofa !
  • Anne Marsh
    9 anni fa
    Look on overstock or wayfair for 2 piece canvas pics large for behind the couch and will look amazing .
  • Donna Rosen
    9 anni fa

IMHO 2 piece art most often looks hotel/motel/holiday inn-ish. I would prefer a more contemporary rug....something fun.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 anni fa

Before you change rugs, measure. that square ivory rug is TOO small for a sofa. It would be great should you want to have something under the breakfast nook. But I tend to agree with Deco, I tend to like to have just 1 table, instead or a rarely used dining area/room. I still would change the dining area and the sofa. that sofa and the window are pinning for each other. It';s Valentine soon, have a heart and let them be together. I think Oriental rugs and leather go together no matter the color. I think we need a rough sketch of the rooms maybe some approximate measures?

• Lynda Howard Horne
    9 anni fa
    Like the color of your walls.
  • Lynda Howard Horne
    9 anni fa
    Like your dining room too.
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa

Pink, purple, teal, mustard yellow...is there a color you've missed? I think you need to make a choice between the wall color and the rug.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 anni fa

I have been thinking. I am really bothered by an accent wall that has nothing on it. It only serves to accentuate having a long and narrow room

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 anni fa

even with another rug, the fact remains you are trying to have 2 living rooms, 2 dining areas with in eye shot of each other and im not sure why? why is no on else noticing that you already have a living room..... and yes i think we all agree there isn't much point to an accent wall here. unless it becomes a focal point.

• groveraxle
    9 anni fa

With big art:

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

flair .. exactly my thoughts.. why 2 of everything??

First thing to do ... rearrange furniture!

Where is the kitchen located in this scheme?

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

What is this sofa used for in the dining room .. not a conversation area.. not for watching TV. Could be a nice large dining room with buffet, mirror, etc.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 anni fa

this is what im talking about ^^ center the dining table. turn the rug. start addressing the accent wall. if nothing else couch under the window.

• PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    1. 1) why do u have sofa in dining room??? if the room is big enough get a larger table. maybe some armchair

2)2 different rugs in one room in NO NO

ad some glass console

also mall murals if the wall looks to enpty

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 anni fa

flair you got it. 2 of each, within sight. that is why it makes no sense. Maybe the open floor plan got a bit too open. I vote for making a living room with the 2 sofas, the tv. and 1 dining place that you use everyday. Maybe a rough floor plan will make everything illuminated!!!

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

For helpful suggestions a picture of the wall opposite the breakfast nook & one of the teal wall in the dining room would be very helpful.

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

eyereezy .. YES, rough floor plan, PLEASE!!

We are very confused & would like to help.

• Ann
    9 anni fa

I'm guessing eyereezy is hiding about now. Some tough comments today.

• Kelley Dockrey
    9 anni fa
    it appears that there are two living areas adjacent to the dining area.

it appears to me the partial wall between the area with leather sofa and the dinig area was added to breakup the wall and create the dining space. The space where the couch is by the fireplace is not on the same wall.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

Would like to see where the door to the kitchen is located.

• eyereezy
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Wow! I have to be honest I didn't realize I would receive so much feedback on my post. BIG THANKS again for still hanging in there and all your suggestions! I especially loved all the photoshop pics. :)

Okay so I did some rearranging and took some photos. I wasn't able to sketch a floor plan BUT I was able to take some panoramas (visuals always seem to do the trick anyways =P ).

Also in case you're wondering I was inspired to place the Persian rug under our bed in the master bc we have a Navy wall there. The photoshop certainly did wonders.

Onto round 2...
  • eyereezy
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Here are the panoramas to give you an idea of the floor plan.
  • Ann
    9 anni fa

I love the tulip table near the window. Is the dining table centered under the light (in both directions, width and length)? It looks too close to the wall/ mirror. I think I wouldn't place pillows on the bench. Can the sofa and rug move a bit to the left? I wouldn't worry about having front legs of the chairs on the rug. Nice progress!

• decoenthusiaste
    9 anni fa

Making progress...Formal living; gray sofa, oriental rug, new coffee table that works with the nail head trim. The smaller sofa should center on the wall without encroaching on the tulip table vignette, but the big chairs are a problem as they block the view outside. If you want a game table, you could reverse the arrangement so the window isn't so blocked. I fancy the table alone with the right accessories. Family room: leather Chesterfield, big sisal rug that is already there, large coffee table, not glass or brass, but something you could put your feet up on. Might try the bench if it is within 1" of the sofa seat's height. Now it is crowding the door frame at the table. You could also try placing the table perpendicular to the wall, bench on the family room side and the chairs on the door side since they can slip under the table. We worked with the one above today. If the table works perpendicular,consider running a second light connection and using two smaller chandys or pendants over the table.

• Ann
    9 anni fa

I was also wondering about the possibility of turning the dining table 90 degrees.

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

Ann & decoenthusiaste ... Agree about table placement (if room allows) The table in that position along the wall is just too much will the furniture in the TV room lined up against that wall also.

Wow, there sure are a lot of doors & opening in this layout making furniture placement quite a challenge but I'm sure that there will be a solution from all the helpful folks on here.

Think the formal living room needs more furniture to complete the look. Would the end table in the TV room go better with the ivory chairs that are in the formal dining room?

In the TV room .. is it possible to place the sofa on the wall where the TV is now & then put the TV in the corner to the left of the large window? That way there would be room for 2 chairs ( maybe the rush chairs from the formal living room) plus a small table between them in front of the window allowing for a more open look than having the sofa in that spot. This would also create a nice conversation pit.

Haven't really seen what style the cabinet is that the TV is on ... maybe that could go in the formal living room.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 anni fa

I'm thinking once the current pieces are sorted out, there needs to be a tall piece opposite the living room windows - maybe a bookcase or secretary - to create some balance. Accessories and window treatments following that.

• PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    9 anni fa

Some more ideas for fabric from ARKfabric. We provide hundreds of design solutions to explore color and pattern with fabrics. Our sample size is larger than an Ipad.

• lessismoore
    9 anni fa

Interested in seeing how this shapes up, but still confused as to what room should be/could be the dining room. Initially, I thought the adjoining area where the tulip table, mirror and chairs were was a foyer!

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

lessismore .. actually I thought that area was the dining room .. but wondering why there was a sofa in the dining room!

• Donna Rosen
    9 anni fa

I love love the color palette/fabrics with the birds !!!!!! And love the birdies too !! Sophisticated and warm....great combination.

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 anni fa

Maybe where the dining table is now (opposite kitchen) was the architect's plan, with the room with bay window as the formal living room & the other (fireplace room ) as the family room.

• crystal
    9 anni fa

decoenthusiaste has great ideas!! Wish she would help me on my advice post.

• User
    9 anni fa

We can help you pull this together and today's a great day to use our free designer Q&A! Irene Edwards, executive editor, Lonny is here all day answering your decorating questions. Ask away! http://www.decorist.com/questions/ We'll send you a design board and clickable shopping list with your answer.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 anni fa

out of all the comments, you didnt even try the dining table in the middle of the room. with the red carpet. sad face.

• PRO
    Guildery
    9 anni fa
    Try pillows and a pair of upholstered x-bench ottomans in front of the chesterfield, that coordinate with each other. This will help break up the leather by adding more layers and pull the look of the room together. Easy as 1,2,3!
  • sandradclark
    9 anni fa

I don't think there was much wrong with your original dilemma. Switch the area rugs. (Oh, you moved the big one into the bedroom already). Well, buy the one like groveraxle photoshopped into the room. Buy the art as well. Yes, add drapes to the dining room and a chandelier. Buy grommet topped drapes from Ikea. Cheap, good quality & great choices. Hang the rods just under the ceiling & kiss the floor. Look at Ikea for an arc lamp & a new side table and the chandy. Go LED, bulbs last 20,000 hrs, cost effective and good prices. You need art for both rooms. Yes , we are treating them as two rooms Houzzers. Paint the accent wall to match the other walls. Also get metal paint to update the metal on the coffee table. Add two accent chairs to the living room. Now I hope everything has not already been moved. I'm sure it has as most Houzzers want everything changed. All you really needed were some small tweeks. Have fun. The chandy goes over the dining table & the arc lamp in the corner by the chesterfield.

• Jan Litchard
    9 anni fa
    First are u on a budget?? If so it will b hard cause u need to move that cicel or bamboo rug from your front roomto your dinning room. Put underneath the table & chairs. Or put in dinning room it will b cheerier, brighter.
    I'd put that rug in the room to replace the other & pull the couch forward a few inches up to the fireplace. Paint the room a brighter color. All your rooms look drab. Might b just the pic & the lite. The coffee table is to small for in front of your other front room sofa. If $ r short u could just switch the tables. U need a larger fireplace mantel to even out that heavy dark sofa. & a rug with colors of browns blues reds tan or white mixed into it. The bench dinning room table is beautiful & the color but the rugs way to small. Like I said move the cicel or bamboo rug under it. The white chairs r lovely but to big for the table. Put them in you first front room with fireplace across from your sofa. Put a end table in between them. The vase on your dinning wood table is to tall. People won't b able to see over or thru it. I'd try a celery green paint in that room too, it would make your brown furniture pop. A smaller vase of flowers & a candle on each side of the vase. Make the candles half the size of vase or check & see if tall as your vase is. Hope thi helps.
  • PRO
    Studio Arterie
    9 anni fa

hello!
    you could also use one of our art murals as the backdrop of your sofa.. like on this image..

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".