Houzz Logo Print
suzy_box

Blank canvas! Ideas please!

Suzy Box
9 anni fa
Just purchased my first home - on a budget! Need some ideas inspiration please!

Commenti (19)

• Matthew Decorator
    9 anni fa
    White/off-white with feature wall colours
  • Suzy Box
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks Michael! What sort of colour for the feature walk? Paint or wallpaper? And what about the kitchen? X
  • Matthew Decorator
    9 anni fa
    Matthew ;)

A white kitchen or a brave colour such as a red.

As for the feature wall colour in the original room I would say red again or paper each side of the fire place
  • Carolyn
    9 anni fa
    I would paint the fireplace (unless you're planning to take out the chimney in time, in which case it's a waste of paint!) and pick out the arch in another colour. That's a nice dado rail - I would keep it as a feature and paint up to it. Only you can decide what sort of colour! Get loads of paint charts and spread them out and see what colours look good in the light you get in that room. I'm a big fan of yellows - neutral but still a colour and bright and warm without being oppressive. I'd probably paint those black shelves white as well.

In my humble opinion :-) white kitchens look like operating theatres. Plus it shows every single mark and you end up repainting all the time. Duck egg blue can be lovely on the walls if you like the French look, or again a yellow is nice. Hard to advise without a pic of the kitchen - are you replacing units?
  • Suzy Box
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Carolyn can you come over and style my house? Ha! Great advice thank you! I was thinking coppers for the kitchen - copper pendant light, maybe a copper splash back? What do you think? Xx
  • ballette
    9 anni fa
    Hi. We bought a house very similar and had almost no funds to decorate or make it homely. It's all about making a house a home.
    Here's what I sugesst.
    Lounge: keep the brick fireplace wall, its a feature, work with it. Use the hole as storage for toy box, flowers, book shelf, etc. Pick a colour scheme, I'd say neutrals with wood furniture. Whatever sofas you have use them , if there is one that just doesn't go just use cream throws to neutralise it and then use cushions to bring i5 back in line with the room colour. Pick and accent colour. The carpet looks new, so invest in a rug to protect and add colour. I found a carpet place that sold remnants of rugs cheaply, I then went round the edges with black duck tape, to stole it from fraying. It looked amazing. Looked like leather!! Lol. Our living room has white walls, and neutral floors, but I've added grey and purple and white for my pops of colour. Remember lamps at what brings the soft mood at night. I don't think u necessarily need an electrician unless the electrics are unsafe. There are some fantatsicr adventurous lamp shades out there that are really affordable. Also to add colour of to the walls. Frame some wall paper. Get some large frames from a charity shop, yard sale, ask for some sample wall paper from local soy shop or buyback some nice wrapping paper. This is inexpensive and can be changed as u Desire. Roller Blinds can also be sought quite cheaply from ikea. Not sure where in the world u are located but if chilly, curtains can add another pop of colour as well as warmth.

Kitchen: You can brighten it up cheaply Paint wall a wipeable paint. First u must decide what your style is. I'm country, vintage, shabby chic at times. So my colours and accessories reflect that. Keep it neutral again, but add pops of colour through you kettle, toaster, etc. I would add either a picture about food, words or maybe even a mirror to reflect light above the sink/ stove. Depending on your style, perhapes an oilcloth on the table. Or perhapes paint it white. Not sure what the floor condition is like, if it icky, a good clean and then a Matt to add colour and protection.

So many things, you can do research..learn what u like... Be patient. I love making a house a home. But if finances are tight, make do with what you have until you can. Learn to ale something out of nothing.
  • Carolyn
    9 anni fa
    That sounds gorgeous! Copper's pretty expensive though - the copper pendant would look fab but the splashback might be a serious budget item. Metro tiles are very in right now - they come in lots of colours and won't break the bank. You might even be able to find some tiles that look like copper!
  • ballette
    9 anni fa
    Hi. We bought a house very similar and had almost no funds to decorate or make it homely. It's all about making a house a home.

Here's what I sugesst.

Lounge: Keep the brick fireplace wall, its a feature, work with it. Use the hole as storage for toy box, flowers, book shelf, etc. Pick a colour scheme, I'd say neutrals with wood furniture. Whatever sofas you have use them , if there is one that just doesn't go just use cream throws to neutralise it and then use cushions to bring it back in line with the room colour. Pick and accent colour. The carpet looks new, so invest in a rug to protect and add colour. I found a carpet place that sold remnants of rugs cheaply, I then went round the edges with black duck tape, to stop it from fraying. It looked amazing. Looked like leather!! Lol. Our living room has white walls, and neutral floors, but I've added grey and purple and white for my pops of colour. Remember lamps at what brings the soft mood at night. I don't think u necessarily need an electrician unless the electrics are unsafe. There are some fantatsic adventurous lamp shades out there that are really affordable. Also to add colour of to the walls. Frame some wall paper. Get some large frames from a charity shop, yard sale, ask for some sample wall paper from local diy shop or buy some nice wrapping paper. This is inexpensive and can be changed as u Desire. Roller Blinds can also be sought quite cheaply from ikea. Not sure where in the world u are located but if cold, curtains can add another pop of colour as well as warmth.

Kitchen: You can brighten it up cheaply Paint wall a wipeable paint. First u must decide what your style is. I'm country, vintage, shabby chic at times. So my colours and accessories reflect that. Keep it neutral again, but add pops of colour through you kettle, toaster, etc. I would add either a picture about food, words or maybe even a mirror to reflect light above the sink/ stove. Depending on your style, perhapes an oilcloth on the table. Or perhapes paint it white. Not sure what the floor condition is like, if it icky, a good clean and then a mat to add colour and protection.

So many things, you can do research..learn what u like... Be patient. I love making a house a home. But if finances are tight, make do with what you have until you can. Learn to make something out of nothing.
  • PRO
    COLD AND DAMP SEAL
    9 anni fa
    Thermowall internal energy saving emulsion in a range of colours can be found on our website in the section FIND A PRO above
  • PRO
    Access Services North West ltd
    9 anni fa
    Can you show me more pics of the rooms, so I can build a better picture?
  • Sam Hill
    9 anni fa
    Lovely!
    In the living room, is the floor under the carpet wood?
    If so, I'd reveal it and have a rug.
  • Sam Hill
    9 anni fa
    Wood burning stove, of course.
  • catjanesawf
    9 anni fa
    dunelm do some really good blinds in a variety or colours that you can cut to fit your window. in the kitchen, I would recommend removing those two overhead cupboards by the boiler to open up the space a bit more. I would also suggest that you box in the boiler using the bits you have from taking down those two cupboards as suggested eg one door under another. Gumtree is also great for finding pretty much any thing in your local area - definitely check it out as you can usually see before you buy and can collect so saves hefty delivery costs.(eg rugs, curtains, cabinets, sofas) for the lounge - the fireplace is lovely - you could place candles in it or i have seen stacked logs with fairy lights tucked just behind to create a lovely glow! blue, light grey, red or green would look nice in the lounge (go for statement patterned cushions and curtains to avoid costly wallpaper) and its important to think about where you will put focus items like tv\sofa\desk but a rug might be nice.
  • catjanesawf
    9 anni fa
    also a couple of rows of splashback tiles in the kitchen in a statement colour would be lovely and can carry it over to dining space with a tablecloth (suggest the kind you can wipe for a longer life) in the same colour or a patterns that picks up on the tiles colour. to liven up the stairs, some photos along the wall are a nice personal touch and if you want to add a splash of colour, frame some wallpaper samples and carry the colour over by painting the spindles and in a blind or vase in the little window. hope it goes well for you!
  • ejs25
    9 anni fa
    Browse internet auction sites for period pieces being sold at bargain prices to set you off and provide a focus.
    Also, is there any reason why the beautiful arch in your fireplace couldn't be opened up fully? I had to plaster mine as the brickwork wasn't good. Do insulate though and look at preventing warm air disappearing up the chimney.
    Have fun!
  • PRO
    Martin Hall Design
    9 anni fa
    Hi, I'm guessing it is quite a small home? To increase a sense of space, stick to one colour throughout. You could use different shades for paintwork, above the picture rail etc. I recommend Dulux BLEACHED LICHEN - it is a colour the DIY place will mix for you. Feature walls in the darkest shade (be brave - it will work!) and use the other shades for main wall, above picture rail and ceiling even. Blinds for the lounge window with floor length panels of fabric framing the sides. Carry the neutral theme throughout and use a 2 or 3 colour combination for accessories. Eg: Neutral living room with cushions, vases, other features in maybe Blood red/ burnt orange and cream or - peacock blue, lime and navy. One combo for each room ???? Good luck
  • minnie101
    9 anni fa
    I would leave the fireplace as is, it's a feature of the room. If the rooms are small I would paint up to the picture rail and leave above in white. Something like elephants breath by farrow and ball could work for downstairs. Invest in some statement lighting as it make a room and also a stylish sofa. Look for secondhand furniture, mirrors etc on ebay. Depending on your style, you can always makeover any furniture yourself. If the kitchen cupboards are paintable then i would do this. If you don't like the kitchen as it is now, I would make a feature of the back window wall as your eye will be drawn to this. The diy shops have some good and cheap wallpapers in at the moment. I recently did a quick "tart up" of my basement utility room. I love tin tiles but couldn't find them in the right size in the uk so I bought turner tile anaglypta wallpaper (about £10 a roll) and then painted it metallic silver which looks great ( I think!). If you're keen on using copper this might be a cheap idea. I would just focus on getting the basics done now and then accessorise as budget permits.
  • PRO
    The Cosy Stove Company
    8 anni fa
    Knock the fireplace opening higher right up to that tall arch you have. Will give you more sense of space and will make way for a contemporary free standing tall stove to go into that large opening when budget allows.
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".