Houzz Logo Print
galleyette_gw

Dishwasher Installation with Higher Counters

galleyette
13 anni fa

With a kitchen reno planned for next year, we are suddenly faced with replacing our dishwasher. We are planning counters that are 38'' high.

How do people with higher counters fill the increased gap underneath when it comes to their dishwasher? Some models have adjustable feet, but that feature dramatically reduces the models one has to choose from. Once the feet are extended to the max, it would also mean that they would stick out from underneath the cover plate that fits across the unit at the bottom. Do kitchen installers then replace that with a custom toe kick that matches what runs under the cabinetry?

If the unit does not have adjustable feet, can the dishwasher rest on a booster platform at the base? I imagine that would not do wonders for the transfer of sound and vibration...

Would selecting a panel-ready model help in any way? How have all you other tall people resolved the issue?

Commenti (9)

• bmorepanic
    13 anni fa

Our counters are 37" and we needed to do somethin' about those feet too. We ended up taking them out (after carefully looking at the bottom) and nailed two sets of two 2x4's as rails under where the feet would have been. Placed the dw on the new rails. Works well, no noise transfer and the small gap at the bottom will be covered by toe kick some day real soon now.

Since its a fisher-paykel, you can still see some tub on the bottom dishdrawer because of the way their dorky toe kick is made. There is nothing new about this! You could always see a little tub if you looked for it. Getting my guts up for using some plastic paint as the dishwasher is black and the outside of the tub is very pale gray.

That wouldn't be an issue for a USA designed dw, but I thought I would mention it in case it happens to you.

• rexem
    13 anni fa

That's basically what we did too - put it on some blocks. We made a toe kick and spray painted it shiny black so it would look a little different from our other toe kick (which was espresso color).

• galleyette
    Autore originale
    13 anni fa

Thanks to all those who responded!

I realize as I consider this issue that I fell in love with the idea of higher counters without ever really considering how I would have to compensate underneath. I did realize that a standard range would fall beneath the level of the countertop, but knew that we'd avoid that problem with wall ovens and a cooktop.

I am assuming that unless we go the custom cabinetry route, even the cabinets themselves are going to need a boost. At that point the entire footprint of the base cabs will have to be built up. All of which will result in a very deep toe kick at the end of the day.

It''s starting to look like alot of work for 2''!

• bmorepanic
    13 anni fa

Some cabinet companies let you order just boxes without toe kicks below. We built the toekicks on site to do a little raise and take care of leveling in the kitchen. In our case, they are 2 x 4 boxes screwed to the studs in back about an inch or so off the floor and we have a block plus shims on the front edge. It doesn't have to be fancy, cause the toe kick material will cover it.

We previously had cabinets on legs with toe kicks that snapped on to the front legs and didn't like that system as much. However, it was definitely sturdy and we had no issues with the system during its short life.

• boxerpups
    13 anni fa

My DW had adjustable feet to go up higher but the platform
    ideas is excellent too.

I hope it works for you. I love have higher counters.
    Worth it.
    ~boxer

• Circus Peanut
    13 anni fa

I second bmore's thoughts on ordering toe-kickless cabinets. We wanted our counters slightly higher than normal and were using recycled cabinetry, so in front of my horrified eyes my carpenter chopped off all the toekicks and built brand new platforms right on the floor. He used nice thick birch plywood, I believe. Looks great!

• earthpal
    13 anni fa

We raised our DW about 10 inches and were able to get a flat drawer underneath it. The raised up DW really makes a difference if you have back issues. Tho if you are going that high, it is generally recommended that you do it at the end of the counter run.

• User
    13 anni fa

Hmmmm ... I like the idea of a DW that is back-friendly, and the SO likes the idea of a taller counter area for his 6'5" self.

This could work out really well.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".